PDA

View Full Version : a new problem to my x-mag

Korrosion
04-12-2004, 10:56 AM
After the trouble shooting in this thread:http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133100 my gun worked. Now a few days later it does not shoot in e-mode again, charged the battery, and viola it works. My problem/question is the the battery seems to be losing its charge rapidly. If my board has a ground fault in it that could kill the battery over time right? Or if the charger is not charging the battery all the way same thing right? How many volts and amps should a fully charged battery be putting out? Charger? :confused:

Dayspring
04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Charged battery should put out 17v or more after a full charge.

I don't know the charger # though. That could probably be found by searching, as this question is common.

ghideon
04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
The charger puts out 25v IIRC, can't remember the amps. I'll check when I get home.

I think my battery puts out a lil over 18v when fully charged.

JimmyBeam
04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
rechargeable batteries will form a "memory" after being recharged and discharged over and over. it is best to let your battery completely discharge before charging it again. if you only let it get down to 1/4 charge then recharge it like that over and over it will eventually only hold 3/4 of the charge it initially did

Dayspring
04-12-2004, 01:57 PM
NiMH ones won't. That's why Tom chose to use them in the Emag/Xmag line.

deadeye9
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Sanyo and Panasonic say NiMH batteries do have a "memory effect":

http://www.sanyo.com/batteries/pdfs/twicellT_E.pdf

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/Panasonic_NiMH_Overview.pdf

Other manufactures say they do not have memory. It does not appear to be as bad as that found in NiCd batteries.

Also, 500 charge cycles appears to be the life expentancy of NiMH cells.

Korrosion
04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Even if my battery has a memory that still does not explain why it just sat for a few days and then didnt shoot. How would I know if my board has a ground fault that slowly drains the battery? Basically it worked one day then the next the battery was not strong enought to trip the solenoid.:confused: I guess my real question is if my battery will lose its charge just sitting there?

ghideon
04-12-2004, 11:09 PM
The charger puts out 25v @ 1 amp in case anyone needs to know.

whopper72
04-12-2004, 11:27 PM
well i have a similar problem... With a fully charged battery i can shoot in e-mode any where from 300 shots to just a couple shots and then it stops firing. the selniod still twiches so i know its sctivating. My team who is an electical engineer took a quick look at it to day. using a amp meter we saw a extreme drop in voltage whenit stops firing, it went from about 17 volts down to the lowest of 5 volts.

I tried my team mates battery, i shot about 500 shots and it worked fine. His battery is only a few monthes old.

so i'm wondering is it the battery? Is it a ground? or is it the circuit board? (a tech's or tom's explanation would be greatly apperciated :D )

whopper72
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
on yeah forgot to tell you that i checked for any binding and did lubing. and every thing is fine.\

Also my team mate said he thinks it may be the thermal fuse (or something like that) in the battery pack, but he would have to look into it more.

deadeye9
04-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Even when disconnected from a load during storage, a charged battery will lose energy through self-discharge, resulting in reduced battery capacity and voltage. However, over a few days indicates a bad battery. Some of the more sophisticated battery chargers can measure capacity.

This past weekend my X-mag refused to work in E-mode. I replaced the valve with the non-LX valve from an E-mag and it work perfectly. Swapped on/off assemblies, no help. Maybe a LX problem, I replaced the bumper since it last worked.

Korrosion
04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
The gun shoots in manual just fine so I dont think its a lvl X problem.