PDA

View Full Version : Whats the first place you HEARD of paintball?

evan123
04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Well the first time i heard/saw the word paintball was in the N64 game GoldenEye where one of the cheats was "paintball mode". This game was back in 1997 and the creators of the game seemed to like it enough to put it in there game. So when was the first time you saw/heard about paintball?

-=Squid=-
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
When I was in art class like, while I was in elementary still, and a middle school who played tourney ball asked if I played... I said no of course.

DiSoRdeR
04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
I was online and saw a paintball chat room, at that time I didnt know anything about it. So I went in and listened to what they talked about. Gained intrest in the sport, bought some APG mags and began to read. Played my first time when I went to conneticut to visit my aunt, and played paintball with her boss :D He let me use his backup Tippmann model 98. One month later I bought a 98 Custom. This was about 3 years ago, curently I have a VSC Phantom, and my next buy is a Automag :D Paintball is all I think about, along with my Piranhas (not the paintball marker, the fish) :D

CaptaiN_JacK
04-13-2004, 09:58 PM
about 5 years ago in middle school all my friends would talk about "spyders" and their "alpha (spyder clone)" paintball guns. i was like "whoa cool i want to play!". so i did. the first game i shot 2 balls. i was a coward.

Major Jam
04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
In October 1987, I walked into a coworkers office and he had a paintball magazine (in black and white). He and three other guys were talking about Splatmasters. I went to their outing the next weekend.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
04-13-2004, 10:08 PM
when i was 10 years old and my uncle asked if i wanted to go paintballing. My parents eventually let me go and i got hooked :)

Digits
04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Was a while ago.. My friends brother got a paintball gun, that was when I first heard of it.

I remember first time I played A guy said "I'm going up to bunker him (he had an electro spyder and I was scarred)" and then I jumped clean out of the bunker and we shot eachother haha.. Another game I took out all 3 guys on the other team (i'd never played and they were supposed to be good).. Man was I proud.

Cort95
04-13-2004, 10:20 PM
One of my best friends in high school, must have been late 1989, had played paintball in the civil air patrol and actually brought home an APG magazine the next year. I remember thinking how cool the VM-68 was, but how dumb the hoppers looked ;P

tony3
04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
My brother was going paintballing with his friends and was borrowing my cousins gun. I couldn't believe that'd he would spend 80 dollars on a barrel for it. I got a gun for christmas even though I had never play, 98c. Played about 3 months after xmas once it warmed up. I'm hooked, been playing for 2.5 years, tourney ball for the last year.

ramennoodles
04-13-2004, 10:31 PM
man like five years ago my friends were talking about how awesome the paintball guns were so i went and played with them(all rentals and stuff) been hooked sense.

Miscue
04-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I found out from a friend in 98 I think. "Have you played paintball?" "What's that?" "You shoot people with this at 300fps:" He shows me a marbelizer. "How much do guns cost, and what should I get?" "I have a Minimag, but you should get a classic." "Is this the best?" "Yes."

I went home, bought a 68PF Automag w/o even seeing a paintball gun before. I knew instantly this game was for me, and I had complete trust in his judgment when I dumped $500+ into equipment for a game I had never seen. ANS Phase II stuff, Z-Valve, SmartParts barrels, 12v Revy, a Remote... a red dot site... :) I didn't even know what a Spyder was - complete noob.

That's seriously how I started. :p

ramennoodles
04-13-2004, 10:37 PM
thats what i did with my tippmann 98...lol nice.

Methylphenidate
04-13-2004, 10:41 PM
i think i was born with it already ingrained in my DNA

Miscue
04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by ramennoodles
thats what i did with my tippmann 98...lol nice.

:p When it comes to equipment in anything, I don't screw around. I figure, if you're gonna get good at it - eventually you'll want the good stuff anyway, so the entry level stuff you bought was a waste. Cut to the chase!

RtDaNiMaL
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
it was when i was up camping about two years ago. My friend had a jt 5.0. we started playin and i was usin a talon pump, witha 4o hopper and a co2 thingy, the really samll 4 gram ones

Konigballer
04-14-2004, 12:42 AM
back around '92 I think. I was in 5th or 6th grade and had my mom buy an APG at a Barnes N Nobles.

I was the first kid in my whole school who had ever heard of this and I proceeded to enlighten everyone with my extensive knowledge on the "war game", wich was entirely gleamed from this one tattered magazine.

Since I was eleven or twelve I had long been a Dodgeball, Lazer Tag, and BB gun war veteren. I was always obsessed with "combat" in any form I could find it, I just loved the rush of going against other people and defeating them and the survival aspect apealed to me alot even back then. I was pretty much hooked from the moment I saw the APG cover.

However, my parents did'nt let me play or buy my first gun till I got in highschool, the mid 90's were different times young ones. It was well worth the wait. God bless my first trusty Tippman ProAm-the gun that could be thrown against trees or used as a makeshift club when you ran out of paint during a desperate assault:)

I remember one of the first markers I remember seeing and being like "I got to have that" was an ad for an Automag. It was'nt even a photo, just a drawing:)

penguinpunk555
04-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Goldeneye back in 97. Didn't think it was a game. Then I started to realy get into it, I saw some pump guns on a Disney movie called paper briga. It was awsome.

Muzikman
04-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Well...the first time I do not know, but in the mid 80's I was in a knife shop and they had a blow gun that shot out balls of paint. I was talking to the guy behind the count and he started talking about paintball and handed me a magazine. To be honest I have no idea what the magazine was, but my guess is APG. I bought it and flipped through it a few times. Realizing that I could not afford this "Game". Then in 89 a friend of mine took me to a place and we played with splatmasters. Then in 92, another friend took me out and that was when I got hooked.

Some where around the late 80's me and another friend bought Hills Department store out of all their Gotcha guns and "globs of paint". We use to carry them around and play any place we could (parking lots, stores, neighborhood, etc). For thos who don't remember or never seen a Gotcha gun, they were a spring loaded Orange gun that shot these little pencil eraser sized globs of paint. They were not paintballs persay.

Evil1
04-14-2004, 01:54 AM
I think I was around 6 or 7 and at store no longer in business in my town, and I saw what looked like a tracer pump gun and didn't know what it was. I asked my father and he told me it was "a game where people shoot paint bullets at each other" and I wanted to play it right then but he told me I was too young to play. I forgot about paintball until around late 1995 when I saw a magazine called paintball players bible or something and for my fourteenth birthday I asked for a paintball gun and got a tracer and once all of my friends seen it and played with it, they all had tracers and tiger sharks.

Joni
04-14-2004, 07:05 AM
About 7 years ago I went to a field with some friends. Had the time of my life, but didn't have the money to get my own gear at the time, and was kind of spooked by the kind of money that the field owner had spent on his gear =).
A year or so later a couple of friends and me got some pumps, spyders and spyder clones to fool around with, and then you know the story.

As a side note, I bunkered that field owner last weekend =)

FreakBaller12
04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
in 6th grade, my dad got a talon and we used to just shoot around with it. My friends asked if i played one day(they wanted to start a team or w/e) I told them my dad had one. So we all go out the next day to play. My dad buys me my first equipment, a jt xfire mask :D . Then we go out and play 3 kids, every man for himself. I had the talon. :confused: Then a week later my dad took me and i got ym first gun, a spyder tl plus :cool:

note:trying to use all the cool/weird smiley faces. ;)

Bulldog
04-15-2004, 11:05 AM
I was about 8 or 9 years old. A friends dad played and I saw his Sheriden pgp, with the big old stick feed. I went with them out to SC village one time, where he played. It was to see some movie being filmed, can't remember the name, it had Frank Stallone in it. I think it had something to do with people taking real guns onto a paintball field, I don't know, it was a long time ago.

Anyway, I saw the fields and I was hooked. Begged my parents for what felt like months, and finally got a pgp. I rented for a while before that. The good old days. :)

barrel break
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I saw an APG at Rosauers, saw the cover and said "oooh, shiny...."

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-15-2004, 11:24 AM
The first time I was introduced was at a friend of mines house. He had gotten a blade for his birthday. This was probably back late 99 early 00. I thought it was awsome. I soon had my own, and I wanted to play. My step brother had a spyder which I thought was the coolest thing ever. So I played him, and for my birthday asked for a spyder and I got it. Man was I happy. Little did I know I was on my way to what can be compared to a heroin addiction without the heebie jeebies.

1ofkind
04-15-2004, 11:30 AM
It all started hehe, when I was in the fifth grade, this chubby girl actually told me about it. My folks let me play like 4 years later, and the olny way I convinced them was by makeing them buy me a spyder flash E. I hated the wood games, and loved speedball. The refs thought it was cute how agressive I was by always being upfront and moveing so fast bunker to bunker, ahh the golden days.

Cryer
04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Wal*mart

Seriously. Its started at walmart, my dad took me to get some BB's and I saw the paintball guns there. I asked for one, and he condemned the hobby as evil and heathenistic. Called me a fool and a bad person for considering it. (and still does :rolleyes: :p )...

I forgot about it for a long while, until an old buddy of mine from chruch (Taylor492) asked me about it. He had just bought an old spyder...

So, I conned my dad (who, again hates paintball) into spending 380 bucks on a tippmann setup for me. Damn, did that feel good :D

taylor492
04-15-2004, 11:43 AM
A little gun oil does wonders for a spyder that won't shoot :D

Ratzo
04-15-2004, 12:18 PM
First heard about it from my brother in 1990 who played Robotech with the local field operator.
First game played August 1992 with a Tippman SL-II.
Bought a Splatmaster and a BrassEagle Poison. late 93.

swanster
04-15-2004, 01:21 PM
about a year and a half ago i was in a wood yard talking to a guy about paintball. He told e=me that I should try it out, and I did

XbeasleyX
04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
About 8 years ago I bought Extream Paintbrawl - the pc game thats like 10 years old. Didnt actually start playing regularly until 3 yrs ago.

FalconGuy016
04-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Im not sure... I always sorta knew about it even when I was little, even before I really "knew" anything about it.

Head knight of Ni
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I still have extreme paint brawl. I had heard about it here and there but didn't actually play till four years ago and a year later had my first setup a Tl Plus. My friend still uses one. :D

punkncat
04-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Just around 4 years ago , a buddy of mine had purchased a bunch of Stingrays for him and his brother/kids to play with on christmas.
A few months later we were all standing around discussing the game.I wondered how bad it hurt before I was interested in playing.So I had my friend shoot me in the butt from about 30 feet away to see if it was that bad.

Within the month I went to Wal Mart and bought a Spyder clone and played my first game.I was like a mad man.I knew it didn't hurt already and went out running straight at people screaming and shooting.It was great , I have been hooked ever since.

Thermus
04-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Paintball is all I think about, along with my Piranhas (not the paintball marker, the fish) :D

Arent those illegal to bring into the US??? I always thought it was.

I don't know where I found out about the game, may have been goldeneye, but I pretty much always knew about it. I wasn't interested until my friends got markers a few years back.

PaintballSmurf13
04-16-2004, 12:52 AM
the first time i heard about it was when i watched an episode of Daria on MTV and they were playin paintball and yeah.....
-Ryan

rathbaster
04-16-2004, 04:34 AM
I remember seeing Hayes Noel on the Donahue show. Must have been around 1982-83 or so.

-Rath

RRfireblade
04-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Ad/Flyer for a local field back in the 80's. Didn't even know what they were talking about,then found out and thought it was WAY to expensive to run around in the woodsplaying war.Eventually went with a group of friends anyway.

kauai_paintball
04-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Just around 4 years ago , a buddy of mine had purchased a bunch of Stingrays for him and his brother/kids to play with on christmas.
A few months later we were all standing around discussing the game.I wondered how bad it hurt before I was interested in playing.So I had my friend shoot me in the butt from about 30 feet away to see if it was that bad.

Within the month I went to Wal Mart and bought a Spyder clone and played my first game.I was like a mad man.I knew it didn't hurt already and went out running straight at people screaming and shooting.It was great , I have been hooked ever since.
Thiz is me exactly in every way, only i got a tippmann and it was a year ago.

LudavicoSoldier
04-16-2004, 08:25 AM
After quite a long time of playing BattleTech (we built 3d hex maps and all) with my next door neighbor, he invited me out to play for his cousins bachelor party (around 1995). Went, had a blast, and have been hooked ever since. First gun was a Sheridan P68SC...