PDA

View Full Version : Dogs like paintballs

Loud Tim
04-15-2004, 01:41 PM
does anyone else have a dog that likes to eat paintballs
i had a few on the kitchen table the other day while i was cleaning my gear and one rolled onto the floor and the dog ate it, and he loved it. it blew my mind

paintphreak01
04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
my dog enjoys rolling them around on the floor. im not sure what he does with them afterwards....

slith
04-15-2004, 01:52 PM
you do know that paintballs have been proven poison to dogs

warbeak2099
04-15-2004, 01:53 PM
My dog tried to eat a couple that rolled out of the reloader socket on my qloader. I decided it would probably not be good for her stomach and swiped them away from her. Anyone know for sure if there's anything about paintballs that could harm the dog? I'm not thinking about feeding her them heh heh, but I'd like to know just for the hell of it.

teufelhunden
04-15-2004, 01:54 PM
I've heard they upset a dog's stomach, but nothing serious.

AGDlover
04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
hey if it won't kill humans it won't kill animals thats why there is amimal testings :p

PRPB
04-15-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't have a dog, but my cat likes to eat them. Although when I see her I don't let her eat them. Everytime I drop one she runs for them.

paintphreak01
04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
im pretty sure my dogs never tried to eat them, but if they have, it sure didnt do anything to them. if we eat paint while were playing, it sure dosent do anything to us, so it probably cant do anything to them either

Deep Sixx
04-15-2004, 02:26 PM
you do know that paintballs have been proven poison to dogs

Completely untrue. This was "proven" where? Paintballs are harmless to both humans and animals. My dog eats them... they give him the runs, but that's all.

sixx

GA Devil
04-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I have a cat infatuated by them. He will tear an un opened bag open to get them. But he also will not stop till he gets at packing peanuts either so he just may be wierd.

stupiddogg
04-15-2004, 02:41 PM
lol, thats where I came up with my screen name. hence "stupiddogg"

he ate half a case, right thru the box and bags, It did make cleaning the back yard colorful LOL :D

paintphreak01
04-15-2004, 02:42 PM
yuuuuuuuck

Deep Sixx
04-15-2004, 03:02 PM
The worst my dog ever did was eat half a bag of Chronic... what a mess coming out the next day! At tournaments he attacks balls people drop, not to mention battle-swab type squeegees... he goes after them and steals them from people!

sixx

acropilot19
04-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Um...why is this a surprise?
Dogs lick butts & Eat PooPoo.
:p

slith
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
http://www.warpig.com/forums/tourney/messages/1073438960686.shtml

from warpig.com

kauai_paintball
04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Well think about this, there is no animal testing, or fda approval, because there not meant to eat. I wouldent, even though we have paintball eating contests anyways (yuck, ever eaten 15 paintballs, bleck!!!) :( :( :(

aznpharm
04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
there is a higher "sugar" content in paintballs... if a dog eats a bunch, it can decrease fluid to the brian and cause siezures

WARPED1
04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
It's because they have fish oil in them.

Deep Sixx
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
That's not proof. At best, its hearsay. Proof would be a lab study with control specimens and facts about content, quantity, condidtions possibly even breed specific information. Did the dogs in the "report" eat anything else? Were they in good health to begin with? Did they chew the balls or swallow them whole?

Diarrhea and vomiting aren't necessarily signs of poisoning. Diarrhea is normal (paintballs are glycerine based... that's a laxative) and vomiting could be the result of a gag reflex from foreign material (shell!) in the throat. Besides, they're not toxic to humans and I've seen a few people throw up (myself included) from the taste after taking a shot in the mask.

sixx

GT
04-15-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.warpig.com/forums/tourney/messages/1073438960686.shtml

from warpig.com

Warpig is far from a medically recognized source. Lets try the journal article. :cool:

aznpharm
04-15-2004, 04:24 PM
no one will ever do a clinical study on this... It is fact, or we are just killing patients at my hospital, that we use "sugars" to leech water from the cell to the interstitial space....

FaSSt
04-15-2004, 05:01 PM
First, the Warpig article (or a Google search if you care to do one), clearly references the actual medical article in question:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbrief1203.pdf?docID=1521

Second, things like dehydration and diarrhea can easily kill an animal.

Third, just because a human can eat something, that does not mean that a dog can. Dark chocolate and onions, both harmless to humans, are often deadly to dogs.

Sure, some dogs can eat a lot of junk without a problem. But a lot of animals go to the emergency clinic for things you would never have expected: eating grapes (which causes kidney failure is some dogs), too much meat, etc.

So, to be safe, I would keep your pets away from paintballs, and some of the other items I mentioned.

Recon by Fire
04-15-2004, 05:28 PM
One of my dogs used to stick his head into open bags of paintballs and choow down on them. He loved them! He also liked to eat cat pooh too so don't acclaim him for his culinery tastes!

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I eat them all the time. Just for fun, and the expression that people have when they see me eating them. And then you got those cool guys that will give you like ultra evil and hell fire and think you want eat it because it will "stain" and down the hatch it goes. It has never given me the runs though. I can't speak for a dog though sense I don't have one.

tony3
04-15-2004, 09:41 PM
My dog will lick a tree if it has paint on it. We gave her a bunch of them once. She threw up everywhere...

paintphreak01
04-17-2004, 05:08 PM
fasst had a good point...i never thought of it like that. but anyways, i never intentionally feed my dogs paintballs, but dogs being dogs pick up just about everything on the ground...including diapers of such sort :eek: the dog that i have now (toy schanouzer), is 8 years old. its gone through plenty of bags of chocolate, doughnuts, halloween candy, things in the morning left alone on the table, and 2 whole hams. i guess thats my fault for leaving things on the ground or a chair out form the table.

lew
04-17-2004, 07:58 PM
My uncle's dog is addicted to paintballs. If any shots fall close to his house, they are as good as eaten. She gets mad craps after eating them, though. My previous dog hated anything paintball related, including paintballs. My current dog I don't know about. He'll eat anything, and I do mean anyhting.

ScatterPlot
04-17-2004, 11:58 PM
I gave my friends dog some jalapeno(how the crap do I spell that) slices earlier tonight.

personman
04-18-2004, 12:05 AM
there is a higher "sugar" content in paintballs... if a dog eats a bunch, it can decrease fluid to the brian and cause siezures
LOL!
I want to watch a dog have a siezure!! :D

AcemanPB
04-18-2004, 12:15 PM
When I shoot my paintball gun in the back yard I shoot at this tarp I have set up. Alot of my paintballs will bounce off of it and my dog will bring them back to me just like if we were playing fetch with the tenis ball. I'll empty a pod or two in the back yard and go inside, and sure enough when ever I come outside again there is this pile of paintballs on my back porch.

She also barks at paintball gun and when ever I start firing really fast (over 10bps) she hides in the bushes.

DJBacon06
04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
my dog ALWAYS eats my paintballs. Then again, he eats bricks.

50 cal
04-18-2004, 10:40 PM
My German Shepard use to love to chase p-balls when I would shoot in the backyard. She would pick them up and bring them back. When you tried to get them from her, she would eat them.

Critters are wierd.