PDA

View Full Version : Is Evil's "Pimp Kit" PMI's answer to SP?

~WarpedRT#2~
04-16-2004, 12:46 AM
I did a search for "pimp kit" on AO, and got nothing, so I thought I'd share my findings.

I was browsing Evil's website and I saw something called the Pimp Kit. I looked at it, and it appears to be a new gun from Evil. After looking at the specs, I noticed that the barrel is Impulse threaded. Why would Evil make a gun that has Impulse threads? I am assuming that PMI is avoiding a confrontation with SP, by buying Impulse bodies, tossing on their own parts, and making money off of the deal. Instead of paying royalties, they call it buying parts, and then they make money at the end off the deal. Has anyone else seen this? I'm just guessing, and really have no other evidence.

I dont think PMI is selling out, more like "pimping" out SP.
Whats everyone else think? I think I want one!

la690
04-16-2004, 01:07 AM
deff. impulse-esque except it looks a lot nicer than SP's.

sithos
04-16-2004, 01:09 AM
sadly.. no. Actually the same engineer who designed the impulse works at PMI/Evil now. PMI is a major distributer for SP products, so they wouldn't probably want to piss them off, even though PMI is 10x larger than SP.

But the pimp kit is cool from what i saw when i visited pmi on my interview. at the time the electronics werent up to speed, but that was LONG ago... so they probably have fixed that.

id like to try one when they come out, but I'm still waiting on the advent as my #1 marker ( and #2 and #3 probably )

Ydna
04-16-2004, 09:54 AM
The Pimp kit is a body and other parts kit that you buy, costrs like $550 if I remember correctly. You then swap out yoyur internals.

The Impulse wasn't designed by one person. In fact, credit towards it's SP invention goes to William jr.

~WarpedRT#2~
04-16-2004, 01:34 PM
OK, I was wondering why it was called a "kit". I wasnt sure if it was a whole new marker, or just parts. Either way, it looks pretty cool.

Ydna
04-16-2004, 01:37 PM
There's sortof a video of it floating around, I know it's posted in the "Evil marker videos" thread on PBN (or whatever it's called).

rkjunior303
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Pimp Kit firing (http://home.comcast.net/~daveczrn/MarksaPimp.avi)

Known Specifications:

Electro-Pneumatic Open Bolt
Un-Capped Board for insane rate of fire
Break Beam ACE System
Impulse Barrel Threads
Adjustable Respirator LPR
Evil 300 PSI LPR Gauge
Blade Trigger
Adjustable Electronic Trigger Sensitivity
Twist Lock Delrin Bolt - no bolt pin
Dual Timmy Style Ball Detents
Tray-less Trigger Frame
Shortstack Feed Tube with o-rings to fit different hoppers
Adjustable ROF (eye off)
Aluminum Eye Covers
On/Off Bottomline
Macroline
Detonator Vertical Regulator
Pipe Barrel
Evil Punch 2
Barrel Centering O-ring
Evil Grips
1 oz Tube Pus

Q. Do you need an Impulse to use the Pimp Kit?

A. No. The Pimp Kit will be available as a complete gun. You only need a hopper and N2 tank to get going.

Q. Is the Pimp Kit an Impulse?

A. Not at all. No Impulse in the world has any of these features: break beam eyes, an integrated LPR, a twist lock bolt, Timmy style dual ball detents, barrel centering o-ring, and an uncapped board. Plus much, much more.

Q. What type of barrel threads does the Pimp Kit have?

A. Impulse threads. That's why the body is so short.

Q. Can the Pimp Kit be used on an Evil Omen?

A. No.

Q. What color does the Pimp Kit come in?

A. Black Dust (Picture Above)
Black/Blue Dust Fade (Picture Above)
Black/Red Dust Fade
Black/Gold Dust Fade (Picture Above)

Q. What is the release date for the Pimp Kit?

A. Only Evil knows, and they aren’t telling.

Q. How much is the Pimp Kit?

A. Around $899 MSRP.

Q. Where can I get a Pimp Kit?

A. These aren't the only places to Pre-Order a Pimp kit, but they are the most mentioned.
Powerstation Paintball
Boss33 Pre-Order
PaintballGear.com

poolshark5226
04-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Q. What type of barrel threads does the Pimp Kit have?

A. Impulse threads. That's why the body is so short.?
:confused: i dont get it

Jt$uper$tar
04-16-2004, 03:31 PM
the pimp kit is sooo pimp lol, i saw it at a tournament i was at

tony3
04-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Impulse barrel threads aren't very fine like cockers per say. They are fatter and use an oring to help hold the barrel in, they are like between cockers and 98c threads.

Smoke
04-16-2004, 03:55 PM
sadly.. no. Actually the same engineer who designed the impulse works at PMI/Evil now. PMI is a major distributer for SP products, so they wouldn't probably want to piss them off, even though PMI is 10x larger than SP.

SP = NPS, not PMI.

Ydna
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Well to update some of that information, the Pimp Kit is out now, I don't know about the whole gun, but the upgrade kit is.

Impulse with integrated LPR? It's called the Nerve. But that's besides the point, as an integrated LPR oppossed to a "non-integrated" one will make no difference in anything.

Twist lock bolt? Yes, that's also on the Nerve. And again, makes no difference.

Beam-brake eyes? That's an easy modification to do with just about any aftermarket board....again, with neglegable differences in performance.

can'tthink of1
04-16-2004, 04:17 PM
PMI/Evil won't anger SP at all, because evil used a SP Impulse valve in there, or somthing like that, and so it makes SP happy.

Glickman
04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
well, whats very possible, is that SP sold the rights and maybe designs to their own "pimp" kit to evil, and thus, have just modify'd it to their own spec's.

Psychedelic
04-17-2004, 01:56 AM
I had the experience of checking one of these out at the evil booth and skyball. I have to say, I was thouroughly disapointed. While yes they are fast, and look great at first, they had a really cheap feel to them. And the trigger was god-awful. Who puts their triggers at a reverse angle.... and it was a plastic trigger at that. The gun was not comfortable at all. I guess to each their own though.

Personally I think the new ICD freestyle would be the way to go if your gonna buy a marker like that.

Ydna
04-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I had the experience of checking one of these out at the evil booth and skyball. I have to say, I was thouroughly disapointed. While yes they are fast, and look great at first, they had a really cheap feel to them. And the trigger was god-awful. Who puts their triggers at a reverse angle.... and it was a plastic trigger at that. The gun was not comfortable at all. I guess to each their own though.
This is Evil we're talking about?

tranman
04-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Who puts their triggers at a reverse angle....

WDP does on the angel, i believe you'll find some AKA guns like that too, and numerous aftermarket frames (iframe for imps, etc.)

PMI/Evil won't anger SP at all, because evil used a SP Impulse valve in there, or somthing like that, and so it makes SP happy.

Why would evil use SP's valve? Evil makes their own valve for impulses and angels.

skife
04-17-2004, 10:13 PM
i believe they use a SP silinoid for the pimp kit

Ydna
04-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes, it's the same noid (made by Parker for Smart Parts)

tranman
04-17-2004, 11:24 PM
I don't think they specially made for smart parts, the only difference is the core spring, which you can find here http://www.airsoldier.com/solenoids/index.shtml to turn any stock (the ones that fit imp) noid into a higher pressure noid for use in the imp or shocker.

Ydna
04-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Yes they aren't made specifically for SP, SP is just one of many retailers. Skinner is one of the largest retailers of pneumatic soleniods in the US.