PDA

View Full Version : What is mAh (batteries)?

PyRo
04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Ive noticed differant recharable batteries have differant mAh ratings and was wondering what it ment. The AA's in my digital camera right now are 1800 but I can get 2050, whats the differance? Will the charger for the 1800's fully charge the 2050's?

gimp
04-16-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure mAh (milliampHours) is a measure for capacity. So, the one with the higher mAh should just last longer. I've never delt with mAh before, and I also dont know how batteries really work. I would guess that your charger will just charge the batteries up to whatever the charger is rated for. Hopefully someone knows for sure. Now I'm curious.

PyRo
04-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Well, a while ago I had this great idea to use a battery pack from an RC car for my warp. I think it was 9.6v which the warp should have handled fine, but the mAh rating was really high, and the pack fried the warp board.
Ok, a normal Duracell D battery is 15,000mAh, and the recharables are 2200, anyone know a half decent recharable D battery?

hitech
04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, mah is milliamp hours. It is how much current the battery can deliver for 1 hour. It is a measure of capacity. Having more won't fry anything electronic, unless there is already something wrong with the electronics that is causing it to draw more amps that it should.

One thing to remember, it is only a rating. Nothing guarantees that you will get that much. How much current the device draws, the condition of the battery, at what voltage the device stops working, etc. all make a difference.