PDA

View Full Version : X-mag or micrococker?

SpringFlingYing
04-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Looking into these guns, I thought that they were neck-and-neck, but lately, I've been reading many people would prefer a half-blocked E-cocker over an X-mag. Which would you choose? - a completely custom cocker or X-mag, regardless of price.

Amnesiac
04-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Again, it boils down to personal opinion.

Personally, I would go with the XMag due to its rating of BEST PAINTBALL MARKER EVER.

James
04-18-2004, 02:52 AM
forget both of them
get a nice used rainmaker
j/k i would get an xmag but it all boils down to what you want.
i would try and shoot an ebladed cocker and a emag and see what you like more.

Ov3rmind
04-18-2004, 03:34 AM
i would try and shoot an ebladed cocker and a emag and see what you like more.
Ew, no, please don't. An E-Blade feels like trash compared to a Race Frame.

I just find these so hard to resist:

http://dhq.mine.nu/racegun.dk/download/forum_pictures/yr2.jpg

http://dhq.mine.nu/racegun.dk/download/forside_pic/Blue1.jpg

http://dhq.mine.nu/racegun.dk/download/forside_pic/HB1.jpg

swanster
04-18-2004, 04:41 AM
definatley an X-MAG

SpecialBlend2786
04-18-2004, 04:53 AM
That actually is a pretty hard choice.

But I think I'd end up going with the X-mag. After all, they are no longer in production.

James
04-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Ew, no, please don't. An E-Blade feels like trash compared to a Race Frame.

I just find these so hard to resist:

coulda just laughed at the rainmaker comment instead..
and i;ve heard about race gun's just never shot one.

NJPaint
04-18-2004, 06:36 AM
You gotta try it before you buy it. My personal preference is to go with the racegun halfblock, but that is me (having shot all three). The trigger feels cleaner, very little movement and they are light as all hell.

GatoLoco
04-18-2004, 12:26 PM
to some, the cocker feels "clunky" This is not to say that it is heavy or unweildy, it just feels like a marker that is not streamlined. It feels bulgy and poorly designed to some. Others, feel the xmag (which is out of production, but e-max's are close) feels "tacky" It is very streamlined, but the firing just feels a tad unsmooth. Cocker guys love the smooth and feedback of the cocker, the gun feels like it has a mind of its own and seems to shoot without much thought. It feels like almost a "leg up" that the gun is giving you. Mag guys love the fact that there is no wasted space, everything is in a nice tube. These guys feel like the gun isan extension of them, like a katana to a samurai. The marker responds to them and they do not think about it. It feels like the marker is just an arm that shoots paintballs. I myself shoot a cocker, but would be just as happy shooting a mag. I love the way both of them feel, although honestly, mags are designed much better with much more thought in the r&d process. While I do not agree with everything mr. kaye says, most of the things he says i do agree with. The mag spanks the cocker in terms of reliability, my cocker has had too many problems that happend due to WGP's design, like valve dying after 3 uses (although everything is great now) I'm not going to tell you which to buy, that would be stupid. There are things about the cocker that I love so much, and things which get me mad about it. There are things I absolutly love about the mag, and there are things which i prefer to not have. Find out what you want more, you really can't go wrong.

laxkid
04-18-2004, 12:47 PM
I my self would go with an xmag

GoatBoy
04-18-2004, 01:41 PM
What further information do you need to help you make the decision? What is not clear in your mind? Who's opinions have you sought so far (that have led you to more e-cocker than xmag conclusion)?

SpringFlingYing
04-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Well, I have always shot a cocker, and before being shown the mag side, I would have sworn by them. The world of AIR and AO and cockers and mags are completely opposite and both have different aspects that make them great guns. I felt that, after owning a ULE mech mag, I could use something that could perform on the electro level, and because my mech mag is so reliable, I thought that this would not be a high on the list of necessary benefits, thus, I decided that cockers would fit this perfectly. However, lately I have been infatuated with X-mags and needed to know which would perform better at the electro tier. Thanks

lew
04-18-2004, 02:29 PM
I would take the Half Block over the X-mag, hands down. I am a Cocker guy first and foremost, but Mags are a close second (I'm getting mine later today. :) ) I really dislike the feel of an E/X-Mag, the trigger in particular. The trigger on the one I was fiddling with was quite sloppy. I really didn't feel too connected to the gun as I do with my Cocker and Spyder. Race Frames are very nice. However, I'd take an E-Blade over it simply because I like the trigger better.

shorty13
04-18-2004, 04:18 PM
i would definitly go with the xmag b/c cockers can be hard to deal with at times and i personally think that xmags are more reliable. plus they look sweet. dont get me wrong on the cocker it looks sweet too but looking at that last batch of xmags that are going out . . . . they just look so sweet.

GoatBoy
04-18-2004, 05:43 PM
"Perform on the electro level" is an exceptionally vague phrase that really doesn't mean anything except for probably one thing: 'has an electronic trigger', somewhat synonymous with 'it can shoot really fast'. Yes, both guns are very fast; faster than you most likely will be able to legally pull.

The only other thing your criteria encompasses then is how the trigger feels. Most of paintball nowadays can be summed up in what I call "trigger fetish." If you're concerned with 'performance in the electro tier', then you're talking about 'how the trigger feels', or, 'how the trigger can enable you to shoot really, really fast'.

Assuming you do not do stupid things to your guns, then they both will "perform". The trigger fetish thing is completely subjective, and you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

The only other thing I could surmise from your question about performing "on the electro level" might be "staging area performance", i.e. how many kudos you'll receive while sitting in the staging area chewing the fat with people who spend more time sitting around than actually playing on the field. You know, if you like walking on to the field and having the rentals kids immediately say, "We want him on our team!" before they even see you play. If this is what you're talking about, then the cocker wins pretty easily. Nothing wrong with that; if that floats your boat, then get the cocker.

SpringFlingYing
04-18-2004, 07:19 PM
"Perform on the electro level" is an exceptionally vague phrase that really doesn't mean anything except for probably one thing: 'has an electronic trigger', somewhat synonymous with 'it can shoot really fast'.

It seems obvious to me that the "electro level", or at least those respectable e-markers, is generally marked by a high ROF. I'm not aware of the legal limit at my local fields or in certain tourneys, but, as you tell me that both will be able to exceed them, my goals shift towards my own pleasure at home that comes from squeezing it to its maximum potential, which was, in fact, a large aspect from the beginning. :D

EDIT: I would like to add that this "staging area performance" that you mentioned is silly. heh, silly.

WARPED1
04-18-2004, 07:30 PM
You come to Automags.org and ask whats better, a mag or cocker?! Are you just dumb? :p
If you go to AIR powered and ask that question, everyone will vote micrococker.

GoatBoy
04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
EDIT: I would like to add that this "staging area performance" that you mentioned is silly. heh, silly.

Heh. You laugh, but it's not exactly that far fetched. I see it every weekend when I step onto the field, and I see it in the forums with every "LOOK @ PICS OF MAH NEW GAT"! (There's another guy on another forum who continually refers to his gun as "my sweet timmy", which, now that I think of it, vaguely reminds me of "my precious.") It seems as real a "performance" criteria as anything else. When teams 'recruit' players, first question is... "What kind of gun do you have?"

Other things to think about, other than "pull the trigger, ball shoots out" type stuff are size (and distribution of that size) and maintenance. And MAYBE air efficiency.

The cocker's a double-stack.
The x-mag's a single.

The cocker's got the annoying pneumatic front block.
The x-mag's got the annoying battery pack on the front.

The cocker is more efficient with air.

The x-mag can still operate with fried electronics.

A full maintenance sweep is much easier to perform on a mag than a cocker.

Larger selection of crappy upgrades available for a cocker.

None of these have anything to do with 'shooting really fast', but they're still very important in my book.

I'm curious as to what kind of argument the AIR folks can produce. Maybe I'll hop over there...

~WarpedRT#2~
04-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow, go with the cocker. That is awesome.