PDA

View Full Version : Ford's Import Killing Mustang GT-R concept

Automaggin2
04-18-2004, 02:38 AM
http://i.cnn.net/money/pf/features/popups/nyautoshow2004/gal_mustang.jpg

"Ford Mustang GT-R
As Ford readies its first truly all-new 'Stang in 27 years, the GT-R concept shows them already plotting the modern Mustang's return to serious road racing. The GT-R starts with 85 percent of the 2005 Mustang's parts -- but it's the other 15 percent that could give grassroots racers a potent, relatively affordable ride in a variety of series including American LeMans and SCCA Trans-Am. Inspired by the Grabber Orange 1970 Boss 302 race cars driven by Parnelli Jones and others, the GT-R features a 440-horsepower "Cammer" V-8 engine that can easily be tuned to deliver 500-plus. The brawny concept features huge fender flares, a soaring rear spoiler, stainless steel side exhausts, and a dose of lightweight carbon fiber inside and out."

Wow. Sexy.

rehme
04-18-2004, 02:44 AM
:eek: ahhhh the 5.0 cammer! seems to be a very fast motor of what i read

PyRo
04-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Ugly, just look at that wing :(
And i'm not baseing it on the sole fact that its a ford this time.

shartley
04-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Ugly, just look at that wing :(
And i'm not baseing it on the sole fact that its a ford this time.I agree about the wing. The rest is fine though.

The thing is, that you don’t NEED a wing if the car is designed right, and even if you DO need/want a wing, it does not have to be THAT wing.

Mustangs are NOT import/ricer cars (note: all imports are not ricers)… don’t try to make them be. You can increase power and handling without using the visual features seen on Tuner cars. I personally like understated looks… but that is just me.

I think Mustangs need to keep to a beefier, wider stance, that says power… as opposed to slapping a “wing” on the back that says “Look at me!” but not much else. It reminds me of when you see a 40 year old dressing like a 16 year old…….

Mango
04-18-2004, 08:42 AM
I think it looks gorgeous. Ford is destroying everyone with performance vehicles that are not only sexy but paying homage to the old days.

logamus
04-18-2004, 09:51 AM
I think it looks gorgeous. Ford is destroying everyone with performance vehicles that are not only sexy but paying homage to the old days.
true dat!!!!

you dont see any complaints about the superbird.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbird/images/plymouth-superbird-1a.jpg

look at that freaking wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shartley
04-18-2004, 10:02 AM
true dat!!!!

you dont see any complaints about the superbird.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbird/images/plymouth-superbird-1a.jpg

look at that freaking wing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is true… but it is a much different wing than the ones used now. And it had a real purpose… interesting story behind the development of that wing, I caught it on either the Science/History/or Auto/Sports station quite a long time ago.

And aero dynamics have taken over the actual need for wings on the fastest cars out there (or made them need a minimal wing at best). For me, the wings we see now days are more of a bolt on application for show, or in some cases needed but because the car is now being run differently than it was designed to be run (IE more power) from the factory.

I would actually like to see a retractable wing on a mustang (like they do for some other cars like Porches) that come out when you NEED them, but otherwise are not visible. But I would like them to be able to be driver controlled, not just automatically controlled by the car itself. And when the driver activates the wing it automatically sets itself to the optimal down force needed for whatever given speed the car is being driven at, so it may be NO down force (or minimal at best), or more when needed.

Can you imagine it? You are driving along at 75 or so and pass some import that is “riced out” and your Mustang is in “wingless” mode. Then as the rear of your car gets about to the front of the other car, you activate the wing…. Then take off! ;) Now I think THAT would be cool. :eek: :D

PyRo
04-18-2004, 10:04 AM
The superbird and daytona charger were basically race cars. The only reason they exist is because the rule was in order to race a car, atleast 500 had to be produced and sold.
You know most of those superbirds sat on lots for years, some they even pulled off the superbird stuff to sell it as a normal roadrunner because people didn't want them.

shartley
04-18-2004, 10:08 AM
The superbird and daytona charger were basically race cars. The only reason they exist is because the rule was in order to race a car, atleast 500 had to be produced and sold.
You know most of those superbirds sat on lots for years, some they even pulled off the superbird stuff to sell it as a normal roadrunner because people didn't want them.This is also very true.

logamus
04-18-2004, 10:31 AM
that wing on the super bird is about as useful as the wing on the mustang. rear spoilers on 99.999999% of cars on the road are pretty worthless as the cars sit far to high above the road and go too slow to gain any real areodynamic benifit from a spoiler. if you take a look at race cars that gain an advantage from spoilers and ground effects you will notice they they dont sit more than about an inch from the road (if that much at all) and travel 150+ mph. a car that sits 6 inches up and goes 65 mph wont notice the wing at all, but the chicks at the carwash just might. and after all, isnt that why guys spend all this money on cars in the first place. its not about shaving .2 seconds off your quarter mile time, its all about getting a hotter chick to ride shotgun with you.

:o

PyRo
04-18-2004, 10:42 AM
that wing on the super bird is about as useful as the wing on the mustang. rear spoilers on 99.999999% of cars on the road are pretty worthless as the cars sit far to high above the road and go too slow to gain any real areodynamic benifit from a spoiler. if you take a look at race cars that gain an advantage from spoilers and ground effects you will notice they they dont sit more than about an inch from the road (if that much at all) and travel 150+ mph. a car that sits 6 inches up and goes 65 mph wont notice the wing at all, but the chicks at the carwash just might. and after all, isnt that why guys spend all this money on cars in the first place. its not about shaving .2 seconds off your quarter mile time, its all about getting a hotter chick to ride shotgun with you.

:o

Hmm, cornering in a car that could acheive speeds close to 200mph, that wing did alot.
Why would they have stuck the wing on there causing drag, and increasing weight if it didn't do anything?

http://aerowarriors.com/cgi-bin/af.cgi?rf=http://www.aerowarriors.com/tc.html

:)

logamus
04-18-2004, 10:49 AM
the super bird you drove off the lot would never in a million years apporach 200 mph and dont try to pretend it would pyro. here in the aughts we just a precious few cars that can come close to that mark off the lot. even in 1970 there was a whole lot "not stock" on a stock car. more so then than now, but still a far cry from stock.

PyRo
04-18-2004, 10:57 AM
But the deal was in order to race there 200mph superbird they had to release a certain number of the cars wing and all to the public, they weren't put into production to sell, they only reason they were put into production was so they could use the car to win races.
I'm sure the ones you can buy could hit 150 or so, which isn't exactly slow.

logamus
04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
150 maybe, remember this is 1970 and it was not exactly routine to hit that back then. it was more about quarter mile speed, and stop light to stop light than top end. and while it might be able to hit 150 off the lot, you sure as hell wernt going to make an abrubt turn at that speed in one of those, regardless of what kind of handling improvements it made. ;)

i understand the whole concept of selling what you race, my point was that the wing on the production super bird is about as useful as the one on the mustang.

PyRo
04-18-2004, 11:21 AM
If you were to use it on a Nascar track though, would be more beneficial to the super bird than the mustang :)
Don't new american cars have speed limiters at 124mph or somthing anyway?

logamus
04-18-2004, 11:30 AM
hmm, im not aware of a manditory speed limiter. my old tbird had one at 105. that royally sucked because the car would do much more than that.

on a superspeedway would the wing be more usefull than on the interstate, sure. but as to which car would find it more useful i would suggest the mustang would. being newer and purpose built with todays technology i would bet the mustang sits lower and wider than the super bird and would gain a bigger advantage from the downforce from a rear spoiler than the super bird. i could be quite wrong on that as i am not an aerodynamic engineer but it makes more sense to me that a car built in 04 would be able to make better use of technology than one built 34 years earlier.

PyRo
04-18-2004, 11:42 AM
My thinking is that a new car makes such great use of technology that it really doesn't need somthing like that. The older superbird when compared to the new mustang, is like a tank could use all the help it can get.

My car is limited to 112, I lost to a civic because of it :(
I'm proud of myself though because I actually started behind him and it wasn't by much :) This was my old 3.1L camaro too. Silly honda :)

Automaggin2
04-18-2004, 11:44 AM
http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept6.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept28.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept18.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept3.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/gtrconcept4.jpg

1stdeadeye
04-18-2004, 04:09 PM
:eek:

Wow!!

Awesome looking car. Ditch the Rice Wing though in favor of something like on the old 5.0 though!

trevorjk
04-18-2004, 04:18 PM
i think its screaming "sex me up" but thats just my opinion although the wing is a little ackword on that car it looks as if its only held on by 4 bolts anyways so it could very easily be changed out

OfficerGoat
04-18-2004, 04:36 PM
From my understanding this car was built for the track. Look at the interior... no carpetnig...but there is a cage. It isnt setup for nice comfy sunday drives, unless they are around Laguna Seca or Sebring. :) Just an observation.

PyRo
04-18-2004, 04:39 PM
But with a production version, they probably wouldn't loose the wing, and that minimum production number rule is a thing of the past.

digitard
04-18-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure what the governors in cars are supposed to be at. I know I've had my 99' Cougar (v6, stick, etc) up to 140 on the freeway back from Tucson (its like 80 miles of nothing ... fun stuff).

Dave

ASDadam
04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
The Govs on the vehicles coming out now is dependent on the tire it leaves the factory with. If you're factory tire has a speed rating of 100, they'll govern you to 95, etc etc.

than205
04-18-2004, 09:04 PM
:eek:

Wow!!

Awesome looking car. Ditch the Rice Wing though in favor of something like on the old 5.0 though!

I agree. The Rice wings (all of them) must go.

On another note, must go do confession for looking at those pics. WAAAAYYYY to sexy.

bornl33t
04-19-2004, 05:50 AM
that is hands down the sweetest ride I've seen since the 93 fox bodies. 440 na? that thing looks like it was set up for dual blowers. I bet with a set of 10 lbs blowers you can be putting 800+ hp to the road...I bet they will cost more then 40k also :(