PDA

View Full Version : Smart Parts situation

Flamebo
04-18-2004, 04:13 AM
I haven't heard many details about the whole SP lawsuit/patent situation that's going on lately, so could anyone fill me in on exactly what's going on, the effects it's having, and what's being done about it?

Please try to keep this thread on track, I don't need a million replies saying "SP sucks!" because I already have a general idea.

doodeitstom
04-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Props to smart parts. They are making the bucks. I would do the same in that situation. However, mags still own. :) Oh yea sorry to jack the thread I have no idea whats going on. :confused:

angelbeast24
04-18-2004, 11:22 AM
i am not goin to flame this thread but please use the search button there are a million threads on this already that could easlily answer ur question

Benfica4ever
04-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Will somone just tell him...
Pretty much whats going on is that sp is putting a patent on all electronic guns.
It will pretty much mess up alot of companies including agd.
So the prices may go up.
But if i were you i would still search for it becuase they have alot more details than i can give.

mikebridge
04-18-2004, 11:32 AM
check the link in my .sig

angelbeast24
04-18-2004, 11:42 AM
if there werent threads on this already then i would take the time to tell him whats goin on but why waste my time when he can just use the search button and read up on it all??

magman007
04-18-2004, 12:23 PM
HEY, Treat FLAMEBO with respect!

LISTEN. If it wasnt for him, we wouldnt have AO. FLamebo was one of the founding fathers of AO as we know it. AGD was the ones who purchased it from him.

NOW some one just fill him in ok? thanks

Dubstar112
04-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok, this is how it goes.

SP claims to have sole rights to any electronic marker. The problem is, everyone except the USTPO is well informed to know that this is not a legit claim. However, understaffed, over worked, and under paid can get just about any thing done.

They started off going after a smaller, weaker company with less money for defense. Once a precedent is set, its hard to rule the other way. This is what they did. Its smart, and it works very well.

Now, they charge royalties/licensing fees to everyone who they have beaten in court, which appears to be any one that they had charged for infringement. It doesnt appear that these fees are astrinomical, or even far beyond resonable. I guess its just the thought that gets the paintball comunity al riled up.

I dont have a clear opinion on this matter. Im not pro sp, or anti sp because, it is the logical step to achieving a monopolly, or (ologopoly in this case). Which if you look at it through a market perspective, is highly desirable.

However coming from a consumer side of things, a perfect competition is what we desire. Then we get to chose what we buy if we buy it.

Also, the effects of late have been several manufacturers ceased producing electronic markers. I have yet to see an industry wide defense against SP. So basically nothing has been done.

TeamNausea
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
I for one have no prob flaming USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Igotu
04-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Doesnt really have to do with sp but brass eagle or vl filed a lawsuit against odsey loaders or halo for using same motor activation or something. Its on be web page under news.

Dubstar112
04-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I for one have no prob flaming USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

I also have no problem providing a recap on the situation.

If you cant answer the question then DON'T REPLY. How about that? :rolleyes:

I have been around here way longer than you and its natural for the same question to pop up over a period of time. Maybe he did a search and did not get a satisfactory answer.

Learn to respect people. You never know who you could be flaming :mad:

If it wasnt for him, we wouldnt have AO.

FooTemps
04-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Um... I think he wanted to know if anything went on recently about SP vs the paintball world... I haven't heard anything new about lawsuits either...

tyrion2323
04-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Props to smart parts. They are making the bucks. I would do the same in that situation. However, mags still own. :) Oh yea sorry to jack the thread I have no idea whats going on. :confused:

Apparently not.