PDA

View Full Version : Quick car question

gimp
04-19-2004, 10:54 AM
I've got a 95 Bonneville. Recently, I had the gas tank replaced because it was leaking. Everything was all rusted under there, and when they moved it all around stuff broke. My brake line snapped earlier, now something else broke. There are two metal straps that go under the gas tank and hold it in place. One of them busted. They cut it in half when they put the new gas tank in, and just rivited it back together. The rivets popped out. Now it's dragging on the ground and would get caught up on stuff if I go over something bumpy. I can easily cut it out so it wouldn't drag, but would it be safe to drive? I'm assuming that those two little metal straps aren't the only things holding the gas tank in place. It has to be bolted in up top somewhere. If it is safe to drive then I'll just fix it myself when I get home from in school in 2 weeks and have my tools and some ramps to drive up on.

Thanks

cphilip
04-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Those two straps are about the only thing holding it up there and no its probably really not a good idea to only have one.

Who the heck does your work? Sound like jack legs to me! Go to a junkyard and get a tank strap.

Butterfingers
04-19-2004, 11:03 AM
It aint broke... it just don't got enough duct tape on it yet :D

PyRo
04-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Go back there and demand they do it again with a new strap like they should have. Oh, and blame the broken brake line on the tank falling if possible :).
This is one of the reasons why I won't take my car to a shop unless its necessary. I had a shop do my car, I got it back, and guess what? My left exhaust pipe is about 2in lower and my right one is 2in higher. I don't think its anything major they screwed up, but its still somthing I have to drag my butt out there to fix that I shouldn't.

Hell, its not safe to drive it like that, call them and tell them they need to come fix it in your driveway, or pay for a tow.

kscullin
04-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Agreed - not safe to drive until you get it fixed. The straps are indeed all that hold it in.

RRfireblade
04-19-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm assuming that those two little metal straps aren't the only things holding the gas tank in place. .

Thanks

Those 2 straps and the filler neck is about it.

gimp
04-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok. Looks like I'm gonna have to get it towed. I've got triple A, they'll do tow it for free. I would complain to the place that I got my gas tank replaced at, but it's 4 hours away.

PyRo
04-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Ok. Looks like I'm gonna have to get it towed. I've got triple A, they'll do tow it for free. I would complain to the place that I got my gas tank replaced at, but it's 4 hours away.

It doesn't matter. Call them, tell them its sitting in your driveway with the gas tank hanging out because of there incompetence, and you want them to have it fixed. I really hope you don't plan on paying someone to have it fixed. Call there insurance company, i'm sure they would love to hear about that and jack up there rates. What would have happend if it ripped open and cought fire while you were driving?