PDA

View Full Version : PtP Micromag

Shocker s/f
04-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Im looking in to getting a ptp mico mag for $150 with a boomy and a drop. I like mags and trhis is a good deal i think anyways, will a Ptp mag take reg mag grip frames? like the y or z grip?

eNder159
04-20-2004, 12:06 PM
well dont know much about the micromag ...buttttttttttttt ive heard alot of warnings to stay away from them because they are out of tolerance and would be a pain to fix if something goes wrong

Vanced
04-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Well I'll step up and say a few things about the Micromag since I am a fan...

I have had 3 of them, and still currently own 2. I use one as my primary set up, and they have never given me trouble if you know a few simple things about them. I also own 2 other more older style mags and just built a ULE for a friend so I have seen just about seen the range in all mech mags.

1. I belive the fact that a lot of people have more problems with them than other mags I belive to be false unless they are trying to make modification to it. Or the fact that people don't like the benchmark frames that come stock on them due to the longer trigger pull.

2. It takes a differnet length one off pin than a standard mag... .740 I belive is the right size one but I would have to check my notes. If you are moving valves from one marker to another you WILL have to change it.

3. Be sure to tighten the sear pin before going out to play for the day, they sometimes will vibrate lose and if you lose one you are out of luck because there is no easy fix other than ordering another. So order a spare or two. Since the rail and body are one pieace they are not fully enclosed and screw into the side of the body. But I have only ever lost one and that was my own fault for not remembering to tighten it fully.

3. Yes they take standard Mag frames. I-Frame, and would assume the Y & Z alothough I have never put either on my Micro's due to the fact I don't like the feel of them. But I do use I-Frames on mine. But they take a special ASA adapter or Fore grip to attach to front of body not the standard Mag one.

4. I can't speak for the E-Micro's due to the fact that I like to be a pure mech gun player by choice not by money factors. but I do know there are differnces in the bottom half of a E-Micro and the standard E-Mag bottom.

5. It uses the same AGD valves as every other mag out there so you know that the valve is rock solid. So any valve problems with it would be the same as other mags.

6. The ball dentent is different and may cause a problem if you get the spring that tensions it in place gumed up. But if you keep it clean it has never posed a problem for me.

7. The power feed ones have on a rare occasion givin some feed problems if the detacthable power feed gets misaligned or you do not have the newer style powerfeed plug. Note: threads into aluminum need to be treated kindly because they are easier to strip than steel. But this feed problem has only been known to happen as I know it with very high feed rates, with the use of a force feed hopper. ( Only seen happen when trying to build one to sweet-spot / Run-away ... yes this is bad and frowned upon )

8. Yes they are aluminum but they are not as light as a good full ULE, and the feedneck on the vert feed is NOT removeable.

9. Some people do not like the stock barrels. I do not use them regularly either so I really can't comment but I do use my armson stealth from time to time and I do have anything bad to say about it. (( And the one mentioned above comes with a boomy, so no problems ))

10. People have complained about the servce from PTP. I haven't had extensive dealing with them by means of sending them markers for repairs. ( I use AGD or Tuna if I need outside help ) But the few times I have needed there service they have always been good. A live body always answers the phone unless they as a group are out playing a turny or something. Ship parts quick, back their stuff and willing to offer help and advice. But I do think they are slowing moving away from the mag market and moving more into scenerio tippmanns and stuff so this may change but I doubt it.

11. For $150 I can't say that is a bad deal at all because even used Micro Bodies go for over $100 by themselves. As I said I am a fan so I am biased. I like the fact that they are semi-rare find out on the playing field. Gave me the chance to have cocker threads long before the ULE was put into production. And a chance to be a little differnt with the same solid dependablity and preformence that you should expect from a mag.

That is just my 2 Cents from being a long time Micromag owner...