PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, Confused!

alouba
04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
want to get a mag when i save up enough money
but first i have to understand how one works and all the wierd names being thrown around on the forums
couldn't find an understandable explanation of how a mag work, tell me if you know.
what are:
on/offs
shim
foamie
and basically every part in the valve/bolt

i really appreciate the help!

alouba
04-21-2004, 11:15 AM
come on guys!

Remake101
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey man if you wanna find out what all that stuff is go to www.airgun.com and get the product manual for the classic or w/e you want to know about. Simple and easy good luck :)

Dayspring
04-21-2004, 11:27 AM
on/off- the pin that will reset the trigger & shut the flow of air to the chamber off. They come in different sizes in regards to what valve and what rail you have on the gun.

shim- textbook definition is "something that eats up a little bit of space so that it fits" In regards to mags, the shims are small rings of metal used to space something out- usually the sealing point of an oring.

foamie- the foam tip to the bolt. It's there to soften the impact of the bolt onto the paintball.

A mag works like a cork in a bottle. The bolt stem sits inside a powertube and seals against an oring. The Sear & spring hold the bolt in place. The air chamber is directly behind the bolt stem and is constantly pushing on it. When you pull the trigger, the sear makes contact with the on/off pin, sealing the air supply off from the air chamber. At the same time, the sear is rotating down and away from the bolt. Once the sear is away from the bolt, the air in the chamber pushes on the bolt stem, moving it forward, loading the ball and once it clears the oring, releases all the air and shoots the ball.

After firing, the spring will push the bolt back towards the powertube & seat it against the oring. When you release the trigger, the on/off pin will snap open, pushing the sear down to lock the bolt in place, and opening the air chamber up so that your tank can refill it.

And all that happens REAL quick.

want to get a mag when i save up enough money
but first i have to understand how one works and all the wierd names being thrown around on the forums
couldn't find an understandable explanation of how a mag work, tell me if you know.
what are:
on/offs
shim
foamie
and basically every part in the valve/bolt

i really appreciate the help!

athomas
04-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Definately get a blow-up diagram from the airgun.com website. It will show all the parts with their proper names.

The on/off is an assembly of small parts that provides a shut-off valve to separate the front air chamber from the regulator.

Shims vary depending on where they are used.

Level 10 shims adjust where the bolt will start to vent in the event of a bolt jam or misfire.

Level 7 shims allow adjusting where the bolt stem makes contact with the powertube o-ring.

ULT (ultra light trigger) shims adjust how soon the on/off assembly shuts off the air supply before the bolt is release and the gun fires.

A "Foamy" is the neoprene bumper on the tip of some of the bolts.

See the diagrams for more information on other parts.

alouba
04-21-2004, 12:53 PM
thanks guys!
i checked out the diagrams, very helpful, although they sould make an animation
about the ult trigger, i heard it reduces the "bounce" but is a lighter pull, wouldn't the reduced reactivity negate the positive of a lighter pull?
the distance traveled by the trigger will still be the same, right?

Dayspring
04-21-2004, 12:57 PM
The loss of reactivity & gain of light pull is all relative to the user. Some people want to remove any and all RT effect. Some want the light pull. Either way, it's up to the end user.

And yes, the trigger travel stays the same. All that changes is the weight.

thanks guys!
i checked out the diagrams, very helpful, although they sould make an animation
about the ult trigger, i heard it reduces the "bounce" but is a lighter pull, wouldn't the reduced reactivity negate the positive of a lighter pull?
the distance traveled by the trigger will still be the same, right?