PDA

View Full Version : Need input for a "FlatMag" barrel system.

MrStrike
10-03-2001, 12:43 PM
Ok I have tried to read the automag forum for as much info as possible, but with no luck.
I am not a Tourney player just a simple rec player since 1986 (ahhh god ol’ days of the pump bushmaster)
I play in Arizona where there is minimal coverage on the field and long range is a big asset. My roommate has a Tippmann w/ flatline barrel, and I am jealous of the range it has over my Mag. I am aware of the downfalls of the flatline barrel system (yes I know its ugly, but Ive never seen a tricked out custom blue anodized flame job make a marker shoot farther either. As they say in the motorcycle world “chrome don’t get you home”).
After looking at the Flatline barrel system Tippmann uses an adapter to mate the curved barrel on to the marker itself. My idea is to make a custom adapter with a pinch clamp on the front to hold the curved flatline barrel and then the standard twist lock to mate with the auto mag. My questions are this:

Has any one tried this?
(I know I cant be the first person to think of this)
I know Tippmann got an automag from AGD to try out the flatline but they “couldn’t make it work”.
What exactly didn’t work?
What type of problems did they run into?
The cocker’s and M98’s that have the flatline barrel have something in common. When the bolt gives the paintball its initial “burst” of air to move forward (and hopefully hit the sucker that’s trying to shoot at you), the paintball only moves forward a matter of millimeters before the upward curving of the flatline barrel.
While this "FlatMag" design would require the paintball to move about an inch before the upward curve of the barrel. Is this “inch” asking for trouble?
I do not know if the paintball increases in forward velocity too much to make that type of curve with out breaking?
Is it possible to get an AutoCAD file from AGD of the automag barrel mating surface?
I have several friends with Computer controlled milling machines and they require AutoCAD files to do there magic.
Thanks in advance for any input!

see you in my sights...

Army
10-03-2001, 01:01 PM
You're a day late and a dollar short!

Galactic Systemz has had their Z-body out for a few years now. It uses a striking pad to impart the spin, and large bore, and straight, barrels for the ball to maintain the spin. Range is identical to the Flatline design:cool:

MrStrike
10-03-2001, 01:27 PM
I have done some reading on the Z-body. all of them are mixed reviews. Some good, some bad. What I do know is that AGD and Tippman do a lot of R&D before releasing a product. Bolth companys have GREAT customer support and will stand behind there products. Z-body is made in Japan with questionable realibilty. Z-body has nubbins, springs and adjustors that can wear out/break. Will this company be around in 5 years to still sell thoes supplys? Or a wise man would buy up an inventory for the Long Haul (like what I should have done with my Boo-Yah frame.. sigh) Also look at the cost
Z-body $230 to $300
Large bore, High quality barrel $80 to $150
.......or.......
Flatline barrel from Tippmann $75 to $144
$10 in raw alumunium (sp?)
$3 for a 6pack to my milling friends (thankfully they like cheep beer)

headshotharriso
10-03-2001, 07:26 PM
Get a tippmann geek. You can put lips on a chicken but that won't make it talk.

a_malfunction
10-03-2001, 10:05 PM
Headshot, we try to keep it civil at this forum..... no name calling..... or Army just might do something bad to you...... :)

headshotharriso
10-04-2001, 07:42 PM
He's my roomate.