PDA

View Full Version : WTH, virus problems...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
04-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Allright, this computer is a pos, and we had virus problems....we reformatted, everything was fine. about a month later it gets killed with viruses. (we use AVG virus remover/scanner) I just reformated it yesterday/last night...downloaded aim and thats about it. Just now, it said it found a trojan. Same place as it did all the other times....what is wrong with this virus magnet?!

Brak
04-20-2004, 09:32 PM
if its still there and you havent downloaded anything other than AIM, then its been there the whole time. i hope you know what i mean, reformatting never got rid of it and never will, just suck it up and buy a new HD

PyRo
04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Ive never heard of that scanner before :confused:
I used to use norton and I would get viruses, then my free updates ran out. Now I don't have anything, and I havn't had a virus problem since it ran out. Coincidence? I think not :) Ok, maybie it is.

Seriously, doesn't the anti-virus program just fix it for you?
What do you need a computer for anymore, you have a Nova that needs fixing, go.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
04-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, it says it removes it, but usually about an hour later it comes back.

Miscue
04-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Install your Windows Critical Updates and make sure your virus definitions are current.

PyRo
04-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Are you networked with another computer, maybie its one of those things that likes to go over networks.

Potatoboy
04-20-2004, 09:41 PM
AVG isn't horrible, but I use F-Prot on all of my systems.

Works the best I've found and has a small memory footprint.

mikey101
04-20-2004, 09:43 PM
which trojan is AVG identifying it as? depending on what it is..it maybe injecting it's process into a necessary process (such as explorer.exe, this makes it so it will bypass firewalls) and that's pretty hard to get rid of. the reformat should have cleaned it up none the less though..

if you can get the name (backdoor.beasty, backdoor.ciadoor etc..), then you can go to the authors site and they'll have or give removal instructions.

InexactMelissa
04-21-2004, 12:32 PM
When you reformatted, did you do it from a clean boot disk? If not, some of your data (including the virus) may have remained.

What I would do is get a clean dos or 9x boot disk then fdisk and reformat the hard drive from there and do a fresh windows install. Next, install virus software, then grab all the virus definitions and windows updates. Good luck!