PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Rules Change

Brophog
04-21-2004, 01:24 AM
I did not see this posted, so here it is:

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/articles/pressreleases/automated/041604nppl.shtml

National Professional Paintball League
417 Main Street Suite 201
Huntington Beach, Ca 92648
(714) 536-9050

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 15, 2004

Huntington Beach, Cal - The NPPL Rules Committee has made the following rule change effective immediately concerning Padding in Jerseys.

Padding in Jerseys will be limited to elbows and forearms only. Such padding must follow the criteria listed below or an approved equal. The NPPL will no longer allow jerseys to be worn on the playing field that contain padding in the garment that does not follow the criteria set forth below.

9.09 Padding in Jerseys
Padding in jerseys will be limited to the forearm and elbow only. Padding size will be limited to 4” in over all width and extend from the wrist to 4” past the elbow.
Padding Material will be limited to an ESTHERBASED OPEN CELL FOAM Backed with a NYLON TRICO at a maximum thickness of 3/16 or an APPROVED EQUAL

APPROVED EQUALS must be submitted to the rules committee and approved in writing from the NPPL to be considered Approved Equals. Samples may be sent to:

NPPL
Material Test
417 Main Street Suite 201
Huntington Beach, Ca 92648
(714) 536-9050

Materials will not be returned to sender.

The Ruling made and enforced in the NPPL Super 7 World Series 2004 Huntington Beach event was done so on a temporary basis to allow the Rules committee adequate time to properly address the issue of padding in jerseys. If you currently own a jersey that does not meet the criteria in Section 9.09, the jersey may be altered by having the padding removed.

Chojin Man
04-21-2004, 03:29 AM
So are c4's illegal now?

-=Squid=-
04-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Thats retarded. In the full year of using our 03 Dye jerseys, I have NEVER received a bounce to to the miniscule ammount of padding on the shoulders/arms.

shartley
04-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately rules like these are usually in response to a problem. And the easiest way to take care of that problem is to make a rule that covers (unfortunately) more than just the problem jerseys.

I could never understand the need for padding on the shoulders anyways. I don’t have any extra on my sweatshirts, and it never seemed to affect my game. ;) And the Shartley Customs Jerseys don’t have any either.

I can understand being upset about the rule though if you purchased a jersey that is now not allowed by the rules.

Lethargic
04-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, they said this was coming before Huntington Beach, and I say good riddance. The sheer number of pads some players were wearing around boggled the mind. I saw guys with a sweatshirt, armpads, and then one of those c4 Jersies over the top.

It has to suck to be one of those guys with a c4 though. Arent those jersies around 70-80 bucks?!

BobTheCow
04-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Thats retarded. In the full year of using our 03 Dye jerseys, I have NEVER received a bounce to to the miniscule ammount of padding on the shoulders/arms.My sentiments exactly... on a lighter note, I think DYE'S 03 jerseys have got to be the sweetest jerseys. Ever. :)

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Pros found a new way to cheat, so the rules just took care of it. Sucks for tbose in NPPL with C4's.

Fred
04-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Darn, my CSG Jersies have no padding whatsoever... :p

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Niether does my SP Starburst jersey.

Cryer
04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Personally, I cant stand the 03 and 04 Dye jersies for the shoulder padding. Its uncomfortable and its only purpose is to deflect hits.

I'm 100% for this rule

-=Squid=-
04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
My sentiments exactly... on a lighter note, I think DYE'S 03 jerseys have got to be the sweetest jerseys. Ever. :)Exactly. Thats why our new jerseys are just discount 03's. We really like them.

fire1811
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Personally, I cant stand the 03 and 04 Dye jersies for the shoulder padding. Its uncomfortable and its only purpose is to deflect hits.

I'm 100% for this rule

i agree
they never should have been allowed in the first place

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 01:17 PM
I can't think of any other jersies with padding like that, are there any?

Cryer
04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Dye is (to my knowledge) the only company that puts padding in the shoulder.

Seriously, I was sitting there looking at my Dye jersey the day I got it trying to figure out "how does one slide (or fall) so as to warrant putting pads in the shoulders of jersies?" :confused:

Maybe its padding for that hard HPA tank :confused:

edweird
04-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Animal Paintball puts some padding on the elbow - forearm region

tony3
04-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Stupid rule, imo. The should of changed this before or after the season, not after the first event.

Brophog
04-21-2004, 03:47 PM
I agree on the time change, but not on the rule itself. I would fully anticipate further "stupid rules" coming down the pipe.

ramennoodles
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
that change has been up for quite a long time, i printed out all the rules in january, they just made it come into effect after the first event to give manafacturers time to comply, i think its a good rule.

Cryer
04-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree on the time change, but not on the rule itself. I would fully anticipate further "stupid rules" coming down the pipe.
well, think about it: What purpose does that shoulder pad have? Nobody slides on their shoulder...

Its there to bounce balls.
Its stupid not to have that rule.

If you're upset that you cant wear your uber-l33t dye jersey, then turn it inside out, cut the stitching, and take the pad out.

Annihilator44
04-21-2004, 06:03 PM
So are c4's illegal now?

Ya...omg if they are now...since they have shoulder padding thats so gay, cause I just bought one like a month ago. Shoulder padding shouldnt bounce balls either.

RT pRo AuToMaG
04-21-2004, 06:09 PM
I'll admit I've gotten my fair share of bounces from the shoulder pads on the 03 dye jersey, but hey, PSP didn't ban them!

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 06:11 PM
I guess the padding can be taken out if you carefully remove the seams.

Brophog
04-21-2004, 07:11 PM
well, think about it: What purpose does that shoulder pad have? Nobody slides on their shoulder...

Its there to bounce balls.
Its stupid not to have that rule.

If you're upset that you cant wear your uber-l33t dye jersey, then turn it inside out, cut the stitching, and take the pad out.

You entirely misquoted me. I was talking in reference to tony3, whom did not agree with the rule. I did not agree with him.

Albinonewt
04-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't really mind the rule, except that I own a new C4 jersey and I'm irritated that its new job is to live in the closet (or be ripped up).

Frankly, if i were NPPL I would have given a year's notice that starting next season the rule would take affect. That gives any companies (primarily Dye) time to adjust.

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't really mind the rule, except that I own a new C4 jersey and I'm irritated that its new job is to live in the closet (or be ripped up).

Frankly, if i were NPPL I would have given a year's notice that starting next season the rule would take affect. That gives any companies (primarily Dye) time to adjust.
Do you play in NPPL? If not, it won't effect you.

Bad_Dog
04-21-2004, 08:04 PM
what if you have "fatty" shoulders, they gonna make you get rid of that? ;)

I cant wait to see people try and get around this one... eating pounds of garbage food to gain back that layer of "padding" :D

Top Secret
04-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Good thing we're playing PSP events... :p

WARPED1
04-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Good thing we're playing PSP events... :pSo, you're saying you cheat?

Cryer
04-21-2004, 09:13 PM
You entirely misquoted me. I was talking in reference to tony3, whom did not agree with the rule. I did not agree with him.
I guess I misunderstood you.

but yeah, I think the pads are pointless aside from bouncing balls

Altimas
04-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Funny now that I think of it Most Women's Dress shirts and nicer "blouses" have shoulder pads in them... Maybe they are in the Dye Jerseys because anyone who buys one is really a Woman... :cool:

ezrunner
04-22-2004, 09:55 AM
You guys are missing the point of the DYE jerseys.

Think about Xball and all the bunkering and such. The padding in the top of the jersey is great if you happen to have some guy powering into you during a bunker cause you are convienently placed on the field.

-rob

Lethargic
04-22-2004, 10:40 AM
The funny thing is, before this notice came out, anyone I every spoke to listed those shoulder pads as a great part of the jersey BECAUSE of the fact that you could get bounces off of them. Now everyone acts all indignant because their little advantage got taken away. Tough. Wear a sweatshirt under your jersey like half the backplayers out there if you have to get your precious bounces.

Not to mention, the NPPL has had a problem with Dye jersies since the beginning of last (2003) season. I am on their email list, and I distinctly remember them announcing this rule change being considered several times over the past year. Whats more, by December or thereabout, I learned from another email that the jersies were not going ot be allowed. The decision to let teams use them at Huntington was a result of many teams already having the jersies and wanting to play anyways. Therefore, the NPPL let them use thier jersies on a "it's wrong, so fix it before you come back" basis.