PDA

View Full Version : Flatline Regulator Removal from 47 ci.

Raven4000SX
04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I got a AGD Flatline that I want to swap tanks on. I want to switch the stock aluminum 47ci tank for a fiber 68ci. I've been told that the tank will fit and that the threads are all the same.

The problem is the removal:
I took it too a shop and they said it's impossible to remove the regulator without scratching it. He also said that if there's loc-tite on the threads, he may have to use heat on it to remove the reg. From what I know about HP cylinders taking a VIS course for SCUBA, heat is not supposed to be anywhere near a cylinder. It will can/will weaken it. What is the proper way to remove a Flatline reg. I called an AGD tech and he said there's a special vice or tool for it. I'm in Southern CA and don't want to ship it out if there's someone in the area that I can just drive it to. Are there ny techs out there that know how do do it? I was told TUNAMAN or BradAGD but I don't want to send it to Texas because of the time and shipping costs if I don't have to.

Tunaman
04-22-2004, 06:33 PM
I got a AGD Flatline that I want to swap tanks on. I want to switch the stock aluminum 47ci tank for a fiber 68ci. I've been told that the tank will fit and that the threads are all the same.

The problem is the removal:
I took it too a shop and they said it's impossible to remove the regulator without scratching it. He also said that if there's loc-tite on the threads, he may have to use heat on it to remove the reg. From what I know about HP cylinders taking a VIS course for SCUBA, heat is not supposed to be anywhere near a cylinder. It will can/will weaken it. What is the proper way to remove a Flatline reg. I called an AGD tech and he said there's a special vice or tool for it. I'm in Southern CA and don't want to ship it out if there's someone in the area that I can just drive it to. Are there ny techs out there that know how do do it? I was told TUNAMAN or BradAGD but I don't want to send it to Texas because of the time and shipping costs if I don't have to.You need to send both tanks to a qualified AGD tech with the right tools...just as you have stated. The reg must be re-torqued to 25 ft lbs. If your local shop cant guarantee that then dont let them play with it. Brad is closer...or AGD.

Raven4000SX
04-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Is it supposed to be heated up? One shop already scratched the reg a little bit trying to unscrew it in a vice. If this other shop can't get it, I will just send it to AGD. Do you know what the cost of the removal is? Will any torque wrench work?

Tunaman
04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
a special tool must be fabricated to mount on the torque wrench. A 1/2" click-type torque wrench is recommended. No loctite is used on the threads.

Raven4000SX
04-22-2004, 11:43 PM
what is the cost that AGD charges for removal and do you know for sure that they can do it for me?