PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Virginia!!!

BobTheCow
04-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Just got this E-mail from the superintendent of the Fairfax County school system... it should basically explain itself:
Dear Parents and Community Friends:

Most of you are aware that the Virginia General Assembly has still not passed a budget for the commonwealth. What you may not be aware of, however, is the impact this budget impasse has on our school system.

The impasse means that the $337.1 million in state funding that was assumed in the School Board’s approved budget for FY 2005 is not guaranteed. By law, the School Board must pass a balanced budget. To do that, we must consider measures that will allow us to survive in the absence of state revenue.

Today, April 22, after consultation with the School Board, our employee associations, and community members, I am recommending a number of fiscal actions that we may be forced take over the coming months if there is no state budget. These are actions that neither I nor the School Board want to take. We made these decisions with two things in mind. The first was to protect, as much as possible, the core academic program for our students. The second was to protect, as much as possible, the quality workforce that we have worked so hard to build.

Because the General Assembly, at any time, may reach consensus and provide state funding, we have chosen to take action in stages. Here are the big-ticket items:

1. Summer school registration, originally scheduled to begin May 10, will be delayed until June 1. If there is no state budget by June 1, summer school for elementary and middle school students will be canceled, except classes mandated by IEP or SOL remedial classes (including 11th and 12th grade students). Because we are pushing this decision as late as possible, summer school, once canceled, can NOT be restored, even if a state budget is subsequently passed.

2. If there is no state budget by July 1, all 2004-05 extracurricular programs will be suspended. Community use of school buildings and grounds will also be suspended. These items will be reinstated, where possible, if a state budget is subsequently passed. Eligible employees will receive their regular step, but all other employee initiatives, including COLA, and restored step, will be delayed until the state passes its budget.

3. If there is no state budget by August 1, plans will be made for a one-week delay of school opening and/or a substantial increase in class size. That will mean employees will be furloughed during school closure. These items will be readjusted if a state budget is subsequently passed, depending on timing.

We recognize that these actions may severely affect our students, their families, and other members of our community. The School Board has already sent two open letters about this budget impasse to our state delegation. We are doing everything we can to urge legislators to set aside their differences for the good of our children and our families. We appreciate the work of the members of the Northern Virginia delegation who have fought valiantly on our behalf.

We need a state budget now that is good for the state, empowers local communities to act on behalf of their citizens, and is good for education. In the meantime, we will do whatever is necessary to preserve our outstanding school system. Thank you for working with us through this difficult time.

--Brad Draeger, Interim Superintendent
STUPID FREAKING VIRGINIA AND THEIR INABILITY TO SETTLE ON A BUDGET!!!!!!!!!! :mad: Hopefully they can drag their heads out of their rectums and get this damn thing settled...

FalconGuy016
04-22-2004, 07:21 PM
That is, SO stupid. Oh my god

Screw VA

Whats the deal with out budjet!

gamarada717
04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
That's not as bad as what happened in our schools. We finnally got some millage thing, and then we found out that the guy who estimated the cost for all the awesome new stuff underestimated by 5 million dollars. So yeah, we get nothing. Also, our ghey super intendant of the town's school is spending 1,000,000 on her office. Holy crap... :mad:

Target Practice
04-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Wow. That seriously sucks. And I thought my state was screwed up. Oh well, at least we have the Governator to help us out of trouble... ;)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
04-22-2004, 09:17 PM
My school is about 1 million in the crapper, but we are still doing okay here.

But that really is horrible, but think of the positive, atleast academics is not being extremely affected.

.bolink
04-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah. F virginia. We need new high schools here and there is no money to be found. Our HS dates to the 60s and is incredibly decrepid. We have 19 trailers. NINETEEN. The walls are thin pieces of pie tin like metal. And heating units randomly burst into flames this past winter. TGIAS. Thank god im a senior!

Kevmaster
04-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I've never understood why partisan bickering can hold up important issues like schools, police officers, fire men....

fight over the economic policies, fight over terrorism laws, dont fight over school funding!

BobTheCow
04-23-2004, 06:02 AM
fight over the economic policies, fight over terrorism laws, dont fight over school funding!Amen, brother. And what bolink said basically sums up, apparently, the state... I know our whole county's like that, apparently it's the whole state. For being one of the richest, and even "smartest" counties in the state, and pretty (to me, at least) good *state* educationally... ugh, this is crazy.

Python14
04-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Yea, my school is supposed to be rebuilt this summer, but the city doesn't have the money. Most of the school is now in a giant trailer park(about 26 trailers total). I suspect that they will be staying in the trailer park for a while.

Chipper
04-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Thats kind of funny considering they planning on a new high school AND a new elementary down here in Williamsburg.

Sir_Brass
04-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm glad my old HS is still unaffected (it's a well run school in the first place :D), and secondly, I'm SOOOOO glad I'm out of high school.

Now, seriously, thank Virginia Republicans for this. Under Gilmore, the books were cooked and education got screwed a first time. Now they republicans can't help but fight the dems over a budget. GROW UP!

I may normally vote republican in national elections, but when it comes to Virginia politics, I think republicans are doing a horrible job :mad:.

BobTheCow
04-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Thats kind of funny considering they planning on a new high school AND a new elementary down here in Williamsburg.Hey, same here!! We've been building stuff out the wazoo, it's basic maintenance and upkeep that hasn't been happening. Or proper expansion, as proven by the weird love of putting in trailers anywhere they fit at any Virginia school...