PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL Player Killed in Afghanistan

taylor492
04-23-2004, 10:23 AM
This guy was a big time player for the Cardinals who quit the NFL to join the Army after 9/11 :(

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Pat Tillman, a former player with the National Football League's Arizona Cardinals, was killed in action in Afghanistan, Cable News Network reported.

Pat and his brother Kevin joined the U.S. military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Kevin Tillman left a minor league baseball career to join the military, CNN's Barbara Starr said.

Pat Tillman was accepted into the U.S. Army's elite Rangers unit in December 2002 after joining the Army earlier that year.

Cryer
04-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Damn, that sucks-

Kind of brings a whole new sense of vulnerability when a sports star or celebrity goes down like that.

taylor492
04-23-2004, 11:04 AM
He turned down a 3.5 million dollar contract from the Cardinals to join the Army

logamus
04-23-2004, 11:48 AM
wow i didnt know he quit to join the army. freedom is not free, bless the tillmans and their sacrifice.

Jeffy-CanCon
04-23-2004, 12:47 PM
He was a true hero.

1stdeadeye
04-24-2004, 08:50 AM
His is the epitome of a hero. He walked away from millions of $s after 9/11 to defend his country. He made the ulitmate sacrifice for our freedom.

God Bless the Tillmans!

ASDadam
04-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Don't take this wrong, but was reading this on another forum and thought it was appropriate.

"ColoradoFusion

I noticed this thread and felt a need to reply. I'm a deployed Marine overseas to Africa, finishing up the rest of my term in the military. I was IN Iraq during the start of the war, and returned unharmed. However, a lot of guys in my batallion didn't. 26, I believe the exact number was.

Since the end of the war HUNDREDS have died and have gotten little to no recognition. I feel for the family of Tillman, especially for the brother who I take was actually THERE with him at the time. But, because of his past profession, and whatever decisions he made, it doesn't make him a bigger hero than the countless others who gave their lives in the past. I think the attention he's getting is a slap in the face to the families of the hundreds of others dead, and if we honor one, we should damn well honor them all!

Right now as I write this, Marines from my old company are in Iraq fighting in and around Fallujha... I know of at least a few who have died in my company thus far since they've been deployed. When you remember one fallen soldier... REMEMBER them all.

_KFC_Chicken_
04-25-2004, 12:19 AM
I heard about that on a talk show on the radio. Yes all soldiers are hero's.... But to give up 9 million dollars to play for another team for 3.5 who originally drafted you shows a lot.

And then to go even further and give up the 3.5 million to join the army after 9/11 is crazy. Yes he is a ****ing Hero, you stupid ****s who say he shouldn’t be honored are insane. I HIGHLY DOUBT YOU WOULD GIVE UP 3.5 million dollars, Hell you guys didn’t even enlist period. You just sit and watch your TV as people go off and die.

(Yes I know most people support the soldiers, but lisening to the radio show, people actually had the balls to email the host and say how sick they were about hearing the story)

taylor492
04-25-2004, 12:41 AM
You won't find anyone who thinks more highly of the soldiers fighting for our country, even moreso for the ones who died, than me.

But the Pat Tillman story hit home because of one simple reason. He had a story! He was a big time football player. A Rudy kind of quality. Multi-million dollar contracts. Succesful career. New wife. You get the picture.

And now to hear of his death wrenches our hearts. More than when news of other soldiers deaths reaches home? Absolutely not! But it seems that way because the country knew Pat Tillman before he joined the Army. Theres been a couple memorials around Phoenix and i think the Cardinals are retiring his jersey and i think thats very fitting.

Everyday when I turn on the news or open the newspaper, and i read about soldiers dying and being wounded it makes me so very sad. But im also extremely proud of them. The soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan will eventually get their remembrance. Every war or conflict we've ever had theres been some sort of national memorial. And theirs' is coming.

God Bless our Troops

_KFC_Chicken_
04-25-2004, 01:02 AM
taylor492- Nicely said.

Many people had no problem lisening to the stories of the firemen on 9-11, the police, the rest of NYC and the USA. It brought everyone closer.

This shows what kind of people are in our armed forces, and SHOULD be talked about, SHOULD be used as a role model for people. People only dream of becoming as successful as he had become.

(Once again, I realize most people support the armed forces, Just the few who dont should realize how stupid they are)

Restola
04-25-2004, 01:33 AM
I think FOXNEWS covered it best. On their website when the story first broke, the very first sentence mentioned he was among many heroes killed so far.

Bad_Dog
04-25-2004, 04:45 PM
He was a true hero.

He is a true hero.

taylor492
05-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Today the military released more details in a report about Pat Tillman's death.

Said he was probably killed by friendly fire.

devildog
05-30-2004, 07:17 AM
must be army :rolleyes: