PDA

View Full Version : Dye

B.A.M.
04-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Have any of u guys seen the new dye lock pods? they look sick. Can any1 tell me how they hold up and were i can get some of these bad boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanced
04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Well here is my review of Dye Lock Pods..

I typically like dye stuff.. bought some and used them last weekend... I only used them for one day of play but ... Overall I give them a solid B+

Maybe even an A ..."IF" you are the type of player that the new look of something like a pod will affect how you rate it... The new look is kinda neat or if nothing else differnt...

They cost me $25 for a pack of 6 ... So standard Dye right there... just A little overpriced for above average quality...

The lock works well and does a nice job of keeping them closed and pop's open easily. But not easily enough that it would ever do it without a effort to open them. Ex. If you tend to toss pods, they SHOULD stay closed... I didn't throw any to find out.

Also, the whole top can be removed from the tube and replaced if either part should break. (( Assuming they ever sell individual parts or you happen to have some broken pods to salvage some together ))

Another thing about them is they seem to hold a few more balls than my standard 140's ... because when refilling my Halo-B ( Yes I know they are kinda small to start with ) but I often have 10+ balls that I don't have room for and by the end of the day found myself using the same tube for two partial fills by sitting a half used pod infront of me while I was behind a bunker. No I was and am too lazy to count but I would bet they hold more... 10-20 or so ... More Balls onto the field without any extra pods is a plus ... might be more of a draw if you use an apache or something that holds a few more balls... But with my halo atleast I ended up spilling a few from time to time due to overfilling, but it makes sure the hopper is full...

Only draw back I have found really isn't a draw back just something I think one needs to get use too... The thumb release is smooth and works fairly well but you almost have to stop and look at the tube to find it. BUT, I think with some time and practice of with them you can adapt. Like be sure to load them into your pack identically every time so when you pull them you know exactly where the release is. And get some practice feeling for it, expecially with gloves on. And you still get the familar pop when they open.

The release isn't much wider than the tube itself in over all tube diameter. So it takes a second or two to find by sight or by feel. Maybe they should color the thumb release tab Red, Neon, or somthing (( MY IDEA PATIENT NOW ... LOL )) instead of the standard black of the rest of the cap...

But Bottom line They are just another Pod... A nice Pod... but a Pod none the less ... so don't expect them to truely change your game, let you shoot 24bps, or win your next tourny for you...

That is just my worthless 2 virtual cents...

So it comes down to just about everything else in paintball... It is a matter of what works best for you...

B.A.M.
04-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Thx i think i wil get some and i no the feeling with the left over balls cuz i also have a halo

logamus
04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
But Bottom line They are just another Pod... A nice Pod... but a Pod none the less ... so don't expect them to truely change your game, let you shoot 24bps, or win your next tourny for you...
but what if you put some cool stickers on them? :)

these seem like a good idea, but i cant recall (knock on wood) any time my pods opened up on me without me forcing the lid open. i guess the first time i lose a pod i might look into these, but i havent really seen a reason to quite yet.

The Action Figure
04-26-2004, 07:15 PM
http://store6.yimg.com/I/actionvillage_1787_114361624

these?

Skoad
04-26-2004, 07:30 PM
no, these http://www.dyeprecision.com/pod_order.html

The Action Figure
04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
oh ok

http://www.dyeprecision.com/images/gear/harness/4.gif

Oh_Davey
04-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Vanced, you were right about holding more balls, the link says they are 160 round tubes.

68magOwner
04-26-2004, 08:10 PM
my pods open ALOT on me, because i use a horizontal pack and end up sliding on the lids alot

abaez
04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
If these are 160 round pods do they fit in normal 140 round pods harnesses and such? How did they get 20 more balls in there then?

argin
04-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey I have some of the clear lock lids in stock if any one is interested. Pm me and let me know.

Thanks
Art

Recon by Fire
04-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I ordered some just in the hopes that they will save ol' butterfingers some paint on the field :)

Sure, they will help your game: Throw one out in the open while playing and yell to the other team "Look, its a new Dye lock pod!". When they peek out from behind their bunkers to see, shoot them :)

chasden
04-26-2004, 10:42 PM
I just got my six pack of these bad boys and I'm liking them. They cost me $3.50 a piece from an online site (do your own homework). Haven't taken 'em out into the field yet, but I can tell they are bigger and hold more paint than the typical 140 tubes. The only issue I have with them is that to close them properly you have to press down pretty hard on the lid.

No sKiLLz
04-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Today was the second day I played with the locklids.

It is a crock. If it is advertised as a "Lock-lid" I think the lid should lock. As I posted before, it is nothing more than a lever with a hinge to help you pop the lid open. Just like a normal pod, they will burst open if you slide on them or bang them hard. This isn't really a problem if you have a harness that straps over the lid.

The two major problems I experience are finding the off center thumb button, because it is offset from the hinge of the pod, and sweating over someone stepping on and squashing (or stealing) such expensive pods.

They hold 160 rounds because the bottoms are more squared and the lids are domed, but like the above post, it sometimes leaves you with an overfilled hopper. Not good with some force feeders.

Verdict-I gave them to my girlfriend because she cracked a nail on a fatboy pod last time out.

LeatherPants
04-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Verdict-I gave them to my girlfriend because she cracked a nail on a fatboy pod last time out.

And they're ribbed for her pleasure :D

B.A.M.
04-27-2004, 05:39 AM
thx i think i will get some of these pods

phantomhitman
04-27-2004, 04:04 PM
so far i have played 2 days with them, and i love them. yes they are all new and fancy and crap, but they work greta with me.
quality-great!! thick plastic for the top as well as the pod base. the ribbed surface actualy helps me pull them out better/faster. I have torture tested mine by throwing them, sliding on them, and accidentally stepping on one. So far, no breaks.
lock lid use-i practiced taking these pods out of my pack the night before I played. I lined them up so I would grab the lock part with my thumb making is quicker to refill, so only practicing will help you there. after I shut the pods they are rather difficult to open without unlockign them. Of course you can force them open with screwdriver or a nice slam against a table at the right angle, but I think they safely lock. I play front so I stay on the ground, rolling, sliding, etc and I have caught the ground at the right angle that would have ripped others open, but not the lock lids. I have yet to break the lock, accidentally open the pod, or even crack the pods.
Overall you can see I like them, but everyone ahs their opinions. Plus they are DYE!!!! I mean come on, you get at least 1 bps more for each pod :p

No sKiLLz
04-27-2004, 06:29 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

phantomhitman
04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
on which part, my opinion on them or the part where they worked for me? thanks for clarifying so i can answer you.

get real man, you are not the only one that can give a review on a product. so far i love them, or should i change that because you hate them? :rolleyes:

No sKiLLz
04-27-2004, 11:31 PM
quality-great!! thick plastic for the top as well as the pod base. the ribbed surface actualy helps me pull them out better/faster.

What kind of pack do you have to "pull them out" of? If you really wanted to be "better/faster" you would have a harness that didn't require textured pods for grip. The pods are ribbed to accommodate extra paint. They are not meant for grip.

I have torture tested mine by throwing them, sliding on them, and accidentally stepping on one. So far, no breaks.

I guess that means they're indestructible since YOU can't break them. After all, who has a more aggresive style of play than you? Especially after TWO WHOLE DAYS! Heads up, they're PLASTIC!

lock lid use-i practiced taking these pods out of my pack the night before I played. I lined them up so I would grab the lock part with my thumb making is quicker to refill, so only practicing will help you there. after I shut the pods they are rather difficult to open without unlockign them. Of course you can force them open with screwdriver or a nice slam against a table at the right angle, but I think they safely lock.

I am opening and shutting one right now with my finger. It takes me no effort at all. A screwdriver is certainly not necessary. If you took a second to peek at the inside of the collar you would realize there is no locking mechanism. It seals exactly the same way as every other pod on the market. The thumb button is nothing more than a lever on a hinge, but you were so eager to seek acceptance from the AO community you thought you would be cool for a day by posting an opposing viewpo...oops, I'm sorry, "review".

I play front so I stay on the ground, rolling, sliding, etc and I have caught the ground at the right angle that would have ripped others open, but not the lock lids. I have yet to break the lock, accidentally open the pod, or even crack the pods.

Thats interesting since front players primarily slide face first. Do you wear your pack on your stomach? And how do you know what angles rip lids off pods? You don't. You're are speculating.

Overall you can see I like them, but everyone ahs their opinions. Plus they are DYE!!!! I mean come on, you get at least 1 bps more for each pod :p
You may like your new pods. You may love them. But exaggeratimg performance does not help the members of AO make educated decisions about how to spend their money.

phantomhitman
04-28-2004, 10:14 AM
you must hate these things. i gave my review just as you, so take it or leave it. i cannot believe I actually have to explain why a gave my opinion, but here it goes jsut so you can sleep at night.
ribbed pods-i can grip and pull out a regular pod just fine. but those little bumps do indeed give me a better grip.
2 day testing and durability-i never said they were indestructable, or even close. they are gerat quality. i never said i play pro ball either, what the hell is up with you?! i am not the fastest running, shooting, most destructive force on a pod that has ever walked the field. you have to be insane to say a front player has never once clipped a pod on the ground or bunker forcing it open. Wether they were sliding head, feet, or butt first, or just screwed up diving and ended up on there back. If i slide on my knees my dye attack pack hits the ground at the end of the slide. I have broken the lids off of 2 normal pods before just by sliding on the ground and that little tab digs into the ground cause the "hinge" of them to crack. I will work on my technique for you, sorry about that.
"locking" lids-most pods have the little tab on the side that lets you flip them open. dye has the little button that "unlocks" them. I have caught the little tabs on most pods resulting in paintballs everywhere quite a few times. the dye ones have a lower profile and the lid is shaped as the pod, so it is a little harder for me to accidentally open.
If you would like to continue a pissing contest about OPINIONS pm me, I would love to talk to you. But I had an opposite view about the same product, deal with it. Not everyone is LIKE YOU either! I think people on AO have enough common sense to speak for themselves as well as think for themselves, so I am pretty sure you do not have to chime in for them to protect them. I also want to be so cool on an internet forum also, that is my dream in life. Enough people know me on here that I can safely say this, thanks and have a nice day skillz.

B.A.M.
04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Phantomhitman i no your pain ive also spilled many pods on the ground. so i think i will get these pods cuz they look good and that they wont open