PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil vs. Silicone Oil

Magz_rule
04-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Which is better of the 2, synthetic oil or silicone oil? Does it even make a difference? Is either one better for mags?

sneakyhacker420
04-24-2004, 09:18 AM
i use whatever oil i have, right now i have a HUGE bottle of shocktech oil (just regular gold cup in a larger container)

and i'll ues PMI when i'm at my field fixing rentals and whatnot

just use what you have, nothing special to them

shivors
04-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I only use synthetic and have never had a problem. From what I hear (I dont actually know first hand) the silicone can, over time, gum and cause build up.

tony3
04-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Is silicon stuff like dow 33 and 55?

shivors
04-24-2004, 02:24 PM
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/lubricant-faq.shtml#8.1

Info I found with google.

logamus
04-24-2004, 03:17 PM
when i use oil, i only use kc trouble free. its worked for me for years and years. best stuff i have found. my shocker wont use it, but for my other guns and my old mags it works great!!!

kc trouble free (http://www.kercon.com/)

Thordic
04-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I bought a big bottle of Pneumatic Tool Oil a few years ago, it was like $4 for 32 ounces. I've never run out, and it works great. It smells bad though :(

ghideon
04-24-2004, 07:06 PM
when i use oil, i only use kc trouble free. its worked for me for years and years. best stuff i have found. my shocker wont use it, but for my other guns and my old mags it works great!!!

kc trouble free (http://www.kercon.com/)
Speaking of KC Trouble Free, this is the best place to buy it I've found online:

http://www.paintballgi.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=407

$4.99 per bottle. I bought eight. :D

trains are bad
04-24-2004, 07:48 PM
I use either ATF or sillicone oil. On my mag I have been using the sillicone. Maybe I should stop?

BlackVCG
04-24-2004, 09:28 PM
I use either ATF or sillicone oil. On my mag I have been using the sillicone. Maybe I should stop?

I use 100% silicone oil. You can get it at hobby shops and it's sold as RC Car shock oil in whatever weights you want. I use 10wt.

Kevmaster
04-24-2004, 10:02 PM

i've always used ATF. I always will

Death Angel
04-24-2004, 10:52 PM
sneakyhacker420,
Gold Cup oil is not Shocktech oil and has nothing to dop with Shocktech. Gold Cup is much better.

Army
04-25-2004, 04:05 AM
ATF is highly toxic to get on you, or breathe in. Your skin will easily absorb it, and it will kill the air sacs in your lungs.

Bad stuff. Use paintball specific oil to always be sure.

riooso
04-25-2004, 07:56 AM
KC is the best I have used. Your o-rings will not harden, it has good lubrication properties, will not gunk up your marker, and is non-toxic.

R

cphilip
04-25-2004, 08:57 AM
I use good quality synthetic Pneumatic Air Tool oil. Have for years. Works great. Mineral Oil based Oils and most of the Silicone oils are just fine. People have good results with them. Remember that Air Guns are based on air tools and pnuematic air devices of all kinds. They use similar orings for the same purposes. To operate a valve and make proper seals in those devices. So it would make sense that any oil that lubricates an air tool of any kind with various oring types would work fine in lubricating a Marker. Certain orings may be affected by remaining petrolates so we tend not to use those oils if we can. So we use Mineral oil based and Silicone based ones. Most marker specific oils are based on these same oil scources. Mineral oil based air tool oils were first developed for the Mining industry. So that drills and hammers used underground would not readily ignite and give off petroliate mists and fumes when they got hot and were air dispersed. Even though they will burn, they do not as readily burn as straight petrolium derived motor/gear oils would. So these Air Tool oils were also specifically developed after that point for air tools and their Orings and internal frictions for superior lubrication of O-rings . So makes sense they work fine for Paintball Markers.

IronCore
05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Doh! I guess motor oil is not good?

shivors
05-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I have been useing the same can of Castrol synthetic for 4 1/2 years. I love it...unfortunatley they have discontinued it...seems it makes you fat and bald...

...well that is what it did to me anyway. :(

I still feel pretty though! :D