PDA

View Full Version : Water in the HPA tank?

evildead420
04-25-2004, 10:43 AM
yesterday i went to sherwood forest to play for the day. i brought my 48/3000 pmi hpa tank empty to fill it up at the field. i was the first person to fill there hpa tank. As i put the tank on my mag, cloudy water substance was leaking out the macrolines till the lines locked in place, and i went to dryfire to see what was going on, and i was spraying water out my valve and out the barrel,not alot, but noticeable for the first 100-150 shots.After, it wasnt spraying water or whatever it was, But it was messing with the shots.

I asked the dudes at the field there after the game and they were, uhhhhhhhhhh, water? well, there could of been oil or water in the hoses, is this right or what? they thought i was kinda crazy or something :confused:

Can anyone explain this phenomenon , 3rd time using this mag and kinda uhhhhhhhhh on it ;)

Cryer
04-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I think it shouldnt hurt really. Just fill your tank, point the marker down to get all the water/oil/whatever to the front of the tank, then shoot it empty.

If you get it all out, you whouldnt have a problem with rust/corrosion.

I'm not an airsmith, so I dont know for sure, I'm just saying what makes sense to me.

bubbleman441
04-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey, you go to Sherwood Forest! I stop by there every once and awhile. Not a lot of mag owners there. I'll keep an eye out for your mag next time I go. :)

punkncat
04-25-2004, 11:06 AM
That is due to the filling process.
Whoever is doing your HPA fills needs to get a water filter for their compressor.
As you pull air from the atmosphere and compress it then all the humidity in the air goes into your tank.Any reputable shop should be using filters to eliminate this.
Water in your HPA tank will cause corrosion.Water in the internals of some markers can also cause damage.
Make sure you bring this up the next time you have your tank filled.

evildead420
04-25-2004, 11:17 AM
punkncat: Makes sence, will ask them next time. the tanks were in a huge truck and i couldnt see the fill station. but ill take my time for whoever to fill it up first to give it a shot. i thought i could be bad, but not yet anyway

bubbleman441: Maybe next weekend? :cool:

Cryer: basically thats what i did. thx :cool:

kscullin
04-25-2004, 12:03 PM
While I wouldn't discount it completely, the water shouldn't hurt anything if you shoot it all out as the liner of your tank is likely aluminum, and most of the parts of your regulator are brass or aluminum.

Oil in your tank is another story. Oil under the pressures in HPA tanks becomes extremely combustible and dangerous. If they even SUSPECT that they have oil in their air lines for filling tanks, I would never get my tank filled there again, and they should clean out their system.

RobAGD
04-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Actually water can cause quite a few problems in many gun and not to mention long term problems with the tanks.

Water will cause problem with electro pnumatic noids as well as corsion in teh tanks. Pointingthe gun down and shoot it empty will not get the water out unless the valve/reg is recessed in teh neck of teh tank, most regs will extent to some extent into the tank to give a little more of a safty if it starts to seperate from the tank.

Filter on the compressores are very important, the little 5k compressor we have at my shop gets about 20-30hrs of run time per filter and we have 2 differnt monitors for humitity levels in teh compressed air.

BTW - just a little note Pevs is a dealer for the bauer compressors. We current have 6 of thier units and over all they are damn reliable and easy to maintain. We use a little 5k 4cf deal in the shops with 2 4500psi bulk tanks and we use a push button fill pannel, runs about an hour a day to keep up with fill demands. We have a semi portable deal in a step side truck for events and the field uses an older Vertices. We have a 11 or 13cf 6k monster in our woodbridge shop.

-Robert

Tunaman
04-25-2004, 08:03 PM
While I wouldn't discount it completely, the water shouldn't hurt anything if you shoot it all out as the liner of your tank is likely aluminum, and most of the parts of your regulator are brass or aluminum.

Oil in your tank is another story. Oil under the pressures in HPA tanks becomes extremely combustible and dangerous. If they even SUSPECT that they have oil in their air lines for filling tanks, I would never get my tank filled there again, and they should clean out their system.Well water does not compress so there can be big safety issues when adding water to your tank. Stay away from this place...

SeeK
04-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Well water does not compress so there can be big safety issues when adding water to your tank. Stay away from this place...

Water doesn't compress but corrosion issues aside the only safety issue would be it squirting out at high pressure. It's like those toy rockets that use water and pumped up air to launch. There would be some air in solution so it would bubble when released. The bottle pressure should remain the same. The big problem would be if the burst disk or the valve shot out the water. The stream would cut through clothing and flesh.

cphilip
04-25-2004, 09:19 PM
If there is water in their compressed air they royaly screwed up maintaining thier compressor. You should go back and complain to the manager immediately and have him document the date and time it happened. There should not be any water and it will corrode the inside of the tank and eventually that can cause tank failure from within. And that cannot easily be seen. They should pay for a full removal of the valve and tank cleaning/drying and rehydro on your tank and cleaning of your regulator on that tank by its manufacturer. Immediately. It's their responsiblity to see that they have clean dry air. It can cause problems. And water NOR OIL should not be in there. No way they can just dismiss either of those. It must be clean and dry and free of either of those materials. Air only.

Water readily condenses out of air when its compressed. But it should be trapped before it get to the fill hose. They failed to keep that from happening.

gc82000
04-25-2004, 09:37 PM
thanks you guys and cphilip for addressing this problem. I live on the island of guam and the humidity can be anywhere between 90% to 110%, and this problem could easily happen here. i know that the feild that i play at uses a filter but can water be transferred when using a scuba tank or aomething similar? :confused:

cphilip
04-25-2004, 10:11 PM
thanks you guys and cphilip for addressing this problem. I live on the island of guam and the humidity can be anywhere between 90% to 110%, and this problem could easily happen here. i know that the feild that i play at uses a filter but can water be transferred when using a scuba tank or aomething similar? :confused:

Only if the SCUBA was filled by water in air mixture. It would condense out when compressed. And then be trapped.

BUT.... no matter if they have a filter or not. If they do not maintain it then it will fill up and then it will be pushed into the hose and down to the fill connect. It has to be emptied. Ether manualy or automatically. Before the water trap is overflowing. And even auto systems can fail and the fluid overflow into the lines. It has to be visualy checked each day and water in the water trap emptied or verified empty. Or its not being properly maintained. And it will then push down the line and into any tank you try to fill.

xXHavokXx
04-26-2004, 01:32 AM
I generally avoid sherwood. Last time i was there it turned into a blood bath when the refs stopped calling people out and they just let kids go nuts.

Resist148
04-26-2004, 02:23 AM
sherwood is dangerous and and unfun I wouldn't play there if you paid me.

devildog
04-26-2004, 08:03 AM
im not sure how much this applies to paintball tanks cause they are much smaller, but a general rule for scuba tanks is dont ever let them drain all the way, always leave a couple hundred psi in it so you dont get water condensation in it. just a thought.......

tribalman
04-26-2004, 10:15 AM
not an airsmith.....just stating the facts.

but i don't think water hurts the inside of the tank, at least if it is removed completely. if it did, why do they fill a tank with water when hydrostaticly testing a tank? why would the government even allow this? and yes, the government put all the restrictions, rules, and safety guide lines in place.

if you have a question about this, check here http://hazmat.dot.gov/ . i'm sure you can ask what to do if you can't find anything.

evildead420
04-26-2004, 12:45 PM
WOW, thanks for all your inputs guys, yea, i went to sherwood that day for my friend's 1st time playing, so u understand. So should i not even go there anymore? I should send them this link to this thread and the'll know whats up. and they would know me, only warp feeder that day. and again thx. more info to know?

kscullin
04-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Granted, I didn't address what the water could do to your marker - under no circumstances would I recommend using a tank that has water (or any other foreign substance) in it - get it all out before you use it, and hydro testing it wouldn't be a bad idea as well. I was just pointing out that the corrosion factor shouldn't be significant as far as the tank and regulator go.

I didn't even think about water droplets under pressure and what they could do, but I know oil is definitely very dangerous under pressure.

Nofreetime
04-26-2004, 01:59 PM
not an airsmith.....just stating the facts.

but i don't think water hurts the inside of the tank, at least if it is removed completely. if it did, why do they fill a tank with water when hydrostaticly testing a tank? why would the government even allow this? and yes, the government put all the restrictions, rules, and safety guide lines in place.

if you have a question about this, check here http://hazmat.dot.gov/ . i'm sure you can ask what to do if you can't find anything.

Please don't confuse people. When an tank is hydro tested it is filled with air and placed in a tank of water. The volume of water is measured before and after the tank is pressurized to see how much it expands.

bjjb99
04-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Please don't confuse people. When an tank is hydro tested it is filled with air and placed in a tank of water. The volume of water is measured before and after the tank is pressurized to see how much it expands.

When a tank is hydrotested it is filled with water and also placed in a tank of water. By using water inside the tank instead of air, you avoid adding immense amounts of energy into the system being tested. A tank full of 3000 psi water does far, far less damage than the same tank full of air at the same pressure should the tank walls rupture.

After the hydrotesting is complete, the tank (assuming it passed) is dried out thoroughly and the valve is reattached.

BJJB

Nofreetime
04-26-2004, 07:19 PM
When a tank is hydrotested it is filled with water and also placed in a tank of water. By using water inside the tank instead of air, you avoid adding immense amounts of energy into the system being tested. A tank full of 3000 psi water does far, far less damage than the same tank full of air at the same pressure should the tank walls rupture.

After the hydrotesting is complete, the tank (assuming it passed) is dried out thoroughly and the valve is reattached.

BJJB
oops, my bad