PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a mag?

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Well my cocker keeps having probs and i am thinking of a mag. But have some questions.

1. How come no one uses mags anymore?
2. I heard that they are inaccurate and not gas efficient, is it true?
3. I have a 72 4500 nitro tank, how many shots do you think i could get off of it on a ULE custom?
4. Should i get the ULE custom?

Joni
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
1. Oh, so I'm noone :rolleyes: . It's true that they aren't very common, but that's mostly because of the old image of a heavy SS, chopping mag. Today they never chop, are very light, and are nice markers all around.

2. Mag's are just as accurate as anything else, especially the minimal kick that lvl10 gives. As for efficiency, they aren't among the top, but they aren't very bad.

3. Expect about 1200 shots if you have everything tuned correctly. That's what I get anyway with my 68/45

4. Yes :D

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Im thinking of a blue ULE body, black intelli frame, black x-valve, and dye ultralight. and maybe some type of inline reg in the future.

What do you think?

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 03:13 PM
But the problem would be it would equal about $515. I dont know if i can get that kind of money.

But i know i want a mag and the custom is the best deal

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Well i think i will get a mag off ebay because they are under $200.

How do these 2 mags look, and which should i get

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47245&item=3674224726&rd=1

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47252&item=3673664745&rd=1

I am just wondering why they are so cheap

deadeye9
04-27-2004, 05:11 PM
They are cheap because they're old and used. They have old valves, no level 10 bolt, and non-ULE bodies. You could be buying someone else's problems.

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 05:42 PM
they are like in brand new condition. And have 100% feed back

I might end up buying in the future a x-valve and ULE body

Wolfstuff184
04-27-2004, 05:44 PM
I am thinking of the one with the dye frame or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47252&item=3674465749&rd=1

personman
04-27-2004, 06:00 PM
They're so cheap because:
1. The auctions still have time left on them and will be bid up.
2. Ebay items are cheap.
3. The classic stainless valve is not worth very much anymore, and that combined with the stainless body, stock rail, ect, makes those mags not worth all that much.
4. They may be broken ;)

I would say the RT Custom is a better deal than those, but that's just me. You get more preformance out of it, not to mention it's brand new, alot lighter, and looks nicer.

Edit: basically what deadeye9 said. Sorry, I missed that :p

Joni
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
You don't want an inline reg for a mag. They have an integrated reg in the valve.

Snowball
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
i got my minimag off of ebay for 145 and it was in descent shape the valve had all 4 stars on it..i traded the valve in for the x-valve and painted the body gloss black with high temp paint it is basically new now...once a few upgrades are made the gun will rock...i bought the minimag for the simple fact that the body has the venting in the front..just for looks...keep looking there are good deals out there..i'd sell you mine if i didn't love it so much..lol... :D

jwalker87
04-27-2004, 07:18 PM
i have a few questions about mags, since I just bought a micromag;

1-can I get the ULT with a retro valve?
2-BIGGIE:: whats a good operating pressure for a mag? I heard 700-900, but can they go Low Pressure?
3-how does the reactive trigger do? Can you just put constant pressure on it and let it do a high ROF by pushing your finger back (like Tippman reactive)?

pointm@n
04-27-2004, 07:28 PM
i have a few questions about mags, since I just bought a micromag;

1-can I get the ULT with a retro valve?
2-BIGGIE:: whats a good operating pressure for a mag? I heard 700-900, but can they go Low Pressure?
3-how does the reactive trigger do? Can you just put constant pressure on it and let it do a high ROF by pushing your finger back (like Tippman reactive)?

1. Probably not. You need the on/off to be able to accept double o-rings and 99% of the Retrovalves out there don't. X-valves and classic valves will accept ULTs but classic valves are not recommended. You can get your Retrovalve to accept the ULT by getting it drilled, but you lose any warranty from AGD.

2. Mags need at least 650 input pressure to fire correctly. The integrated regulator brings that down to 400-450.

3. Reactive trigger works best with a higher input tank. If you want to sweetspot the way you describe you'd need an adjustable tank set around 950-1000 to get that kind of reactivity. My brother's PE tank is preset but it outputs to 1000PSI (Go figure??) and it's hella reactive.

jwalker87
04-27-2004, 08:00 PM
ok thanks. I have a Maxflo tank, so I can do anywhere from 300-1500.

jewie27
04-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Well my cocker keeps having probs and i am thinking of a mag. But have some questions.

1. How come no one uses mags anymore?
2. I heard that they are inaccurate and not gas efficient, is it true?
3. I have a 72 4500 nitro tank, how many shots do you think i could get off of it on a ULE custom?
4. Should i get the ULE custom?

He has seen the light!!!!
It would be to your benifit to sell your 'Cocker and buy a Mag.

bubbleman441
04-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Hey, from my experience with my ULE RT Pro mag, I have found it very accurate and consistent with my Dye boomstick along with some Evil paint. As far as the gas efficiency, you don't get as many shots off an air tank compared with other high end guns. However I use a 68ci 3000psi tank so your 72ci 4500psi nitro tank should work great for a mag. I have no idea how many shots you'd get off of that tank but with mine I get about 600 when filled. At the expense of it's low efficiency, it is extremely reliable and shoots very well (even better that many Autocockers I have shot).

So the 2 things that I think make it "better" than an Autococker are:
1) It's more reliable and requires less maintenance.
2) Doesn't chop paint with the level 10 bolt.

The rest is up to you as far as looks and all. I say, with the air tank you have, go for a mag! If you're looking for a mechanical marker that shoots consistantly, like an autococker, I HIGHLY recommend getting a ULE X-valved mag!

chasden
04-29-2004, 04:40 PM
I recently made the switch from shooting cockers for the last couple of years to a new ULE Custom. I've never been happier. No more cocker fussiness, no timing issues (mech), no pinched wires (eblade). My Mag just always works, and works great. I have the ULT installed and the trigger pull is light and fast. And it hardly ever chops with the LVL10. This is a great time to get a Mag: AGD has loaded the ULE Custom with all their best technology like the X-Valve, LVL10 and ULT for a killer price. Plus there is great aftermarket stuff available for Mags from DeadlyWind (do a search on this site for: "Karta" and "Dallara"), Logic and Rogue. Also make sure to check out the hAir trigger video that's stickied in this forum... when that hits it's gonna be sweet!

Bugget3000
04-29-2004, 05:08 PM
The reason those mags are so cheap is that they lack the latest in bolts and valves. If you check the store for getting an Xvalve setup you will see that they are quite expensive.
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=8&categoryID=9

So essentially, to stay away from teh negative stereotypes (they chop paint and are gas hogs) you would have to add 225 to the price of any ebay mag you get that doesn't have the level 10 setup in it. Keep that in mind when shopping ebay so you can compare prices to the ULE Custom deal. That said I got mine off of Ebay with a level X and extras for less than I could have got a ULE Custom comparably equipped for, so it is possible, just don't be taken in by the super cheap ones and know exactly what you are getting versus what you need to have a good paintball experience.

Head knight of Ni
04-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Um you can get ULT with a ReTro valve. And if I remember correctly it is recommended for the Aluminum ReTros and X valves.