PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE!!! Signature crack down a coming!

cphilip
04-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Please review the rules and check and see if yours complies. If you are unsure then please ask some of the other members or a moderator to give it a look see. You can do that in Friendly corner if you need assistance. We are about to go on a rampage. You have a little time to comply so over the next day or so please check the properties of your signature image and the lines of text you have and the overall "annoyance factor" that it might have from distracting things in it. Signature rules can be enforced at any time. If you see a member that does not comply please help us out by pointing this out to him and if he does not comply then please...rat him out! :D But be polite, patient and work with that member to see if he can comply. We would rather not be harsh on this if we can get compliance another more friendly way.

Rules are here (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72174)

mobius
04-30-2004, 09:36 AM
SIR, YES SIR! ;)

I removed my sig pic until I can get it fixed. Sorry 'bout that.

TeamNausea
04-30-2004, 09:40 AM
GUess its a good thing that sum1 brought the sig rules to my attention the other day.

PissedGodzilla
04-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Can I get a verdict on my sig? I worked long and hard to get it down to less that 500 characters....

If you think my sig is too big, can someone help a brotha out and tell me how to resize it?

Potatoboy
04-30-2004, 09:56 AM
pissedgodzilla- yours is fine, except that you have two images.

you are limited to one image.

Tobe2be
04-30-2004, 10:01 AM
can we have one huge image intergrated with plenty of images? just asking no try to be a smart ash

Chronobreak
04-30-2004, 10:11 AM
tobe it appears so i think im gona try and get the ao-mo in the main sig part next time i make one and delete that so.. but other than that i think its FINE! :p :D

DementedChild
04-30-2004, 10:16 AM
sig check is it ok?!?

Potatoboy
04-30-2004, 10:21 AM
DementedChild- too wide and filesize is way too big

SlartyBartFast
04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
I would have thought that some enterprising soul could have come up with a script that automatically checks these things.

Oh well ...

deathstalker
04-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the crackdown, guys. I was disappointed when I finally had to resort to turning off sigs on AO. The bad ones overwhelmed the good ones.

For those of you who need to check your sig, it's very easy. Phil provided a link to the guidelines in his post and there is a link in my sig. If you need to check the size of your image, right click on it and select "Properties." It will show you the size in kilobytes (sigs must be under 20k) and also the dimensions.

One thing I would like to ask for clarification is if 175X350 is the same as 350X175. Based on all the other forums I frequent, I think 350X175 is better (wide and short, less scrolling needed per page), but the guidelines state they should be 175X350 (which I see as tall and skinny).

Potatoboy
04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
yeah, it was worded a bit strange, just edited to say 350x175

SlartyBartFast
04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
(wide and short, less scrolling needed per page

Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm a little disapointed in the new layout.

Hopefully when Webmaster gets better the layout will go back to all the particulars on the side so that pages are shorter.

Z-man
04-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Bah! it does not look nearly as nice as when it was a tad oversized! What's the policy on .png picts? I mean when you have a sig that has emty space where perhaps 1 letter jumps all the way up to 250 but its mostly black space ;)... ah well.

Kevmaster
04-30-2004, 11:43 AM
oh and to everyone too...

PLEASE, PLEASE try to turn OFF your sig on second posts within a thread. Third posts too for that matter. You don't need to show it off 10 times in one thread.

MarkM
04-30-2004, 11:50 AM
oh and to everyone too...

PLEASE, PLEASE try to turn OFF your sig on second posts within a thread. Third posts too for that matter. You don't need to show it off 10 times in one thread.
10 times is fine if the thread is 10 pages long ie once per page but other than that no not good ;)
Z-man your sig is too big a file size

taylor492
04-30-2004, 11:52 AM
I checked my sig per deathstalker's instructions and the dimensions are fine but there wasn't anything under "file size" :confused:

Z-man
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Z-man your sig is too big a file size

@#$%@#$%#$%^$%^# 4K over! GAH

jdev
04-30-2004, 12:11 PM
do me next, do me next!!

wait.. does that sound right?

jayloo
04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
The resposnibility SHOULD be on the poster to limit their sig postings in a thread

BUT....

It would be quite simple to force the limit a sig on the first occurace on a post in a thread. A little php goes a long way.

Also you could use a little more php run a nightly/weekly job to validate sigs and notify/ban offenders.

I could assist with writing this if needed for free.

logamus
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
i just did you and your fine. :p

UltimatePaintballer
04-30-2004, 12:38 PM
check me check me!!!!!

Kevmaster
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
The resposnibility SHOULD be on the poster to limit their sig postings in a thread

BUT....

It would be quite simple to force the limit a sig on the first occurace on a post in a thread. A little php goes a long way.

Also you could use a little more php run a nightly/weekly job to validate sigs and notify/ban offenders.

I could assist with writing this if needed for free.

Jayloo....

If I were running this place (and thank God I don't have to) I would be all for your idea there buddy

Dryden
04-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Since the topic has come up, I would personally like to see a crack down on sig images that go against such forum rules as No racial, religious, or sexually inflammatory language and Avoid topics containing religious, racial, or political discussion.

I dunno, but maybe sigs that use swastikas in reference to a certain paintball company violates these rules?

Fixion
04-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Why can't we have a sig composed of multipule pics? What if I want a part of mine animated? Making it one gif would be very hard because of the size limitations, but if we could split it up into jpegs or pngs AND have part of it a gif, that would be great. Or does that rule only apply when the small pics don't compose one sig image?

I am aware that my sig is 50 pixels too wide (400, 100), but I hate the anoyingly tall sig pics that some people have. Can I keep mine?

deathstalker
04-30-2004, 01:30 PM
I am aware that my sig is 50 pixels too wide (400, 100), but I hate the anoyingly tall sig pics that some people have. Can I keep mine?
Why are you so special that your sig should violate the guidelines? Your signature is a privilege, not a right. The next step they can take is to eliminate sigs altogether.

BobTheCow
04-30-2004, 01:42 PM
The dead hotlink in my sig is supposed to be that O.W.N.E.D. sig image, attached to AO a while ago... is that gonna come back, or should I ditch it?

Jonneh
04-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I am exempt from the sig rules!

MarkM
04-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Why can't we have a sig composed of multipule pics? What if I want a part of mine animated? Making it one gif would be very hard because of the size limitations, but if we could split it up into jpegs or pngs AND have part of it a gif, that would be great. Or does that rule only apply when the small pics don't compose one sig image?

To be honest I read the pixel ratio as area not H + W so to my way of thinking you are fine, it is when a user has an excessively wide signature that changes the forum layout, in a similar way there are a couple of users with crazy long user names that distort things. A really high signature would fall under the annoying description that would mean the signature pic wouldn't last.
The PNG files are a cheat to allow a big image/file to show, same as Flash files ;)
The biggest annoyance is the users who take advantage of Tom's generosity in allowing the uploading of pics for use as signatures, mine is remotely hosted. Interesting that I have just found that you can't upload the same image twice even if in different threads :eek: but then that is good :cool:

Target Practice
04-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Ok, so I gotta either get rid of my Whiteboard link, or my AO-CA Tag? Well, it looks like 'Ol Doc is gonna have to do without some free advertising... :( . Come to think of it, who here in AO makes good custom Sigs? I kinda want something more original, and I can't do it for lack of talent and knowhow.

MarkM
04-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Ok, so I gotta either get rid of my Whiteboard link, or my AO-CA Tag? Well, it looks like 'Ol Doc is gonna have to do without some free advertising... :( . Come to think of it, who here in AO makes good custom Sigs? I kinda want something more original, and I can't do it for lack of talent and knowhow.

Here you go nice and easy just need to edit the settings if you use it to go to Doc's site...that wasn't hard ;)

MaxPowers
04-30-2004, 02:16 PM
??????? :eek:

MarkM
04-30-2004, 02:31 PM
I do hope you are not being serious....that sig breaks at least 3 rules, pixel size, file size and content :rolleyes:

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
04-30-2004, 02:45 PM
I hope my sig is under compliance is it?

Mindflux
04-30-2004, 02:54 PM
No, the image is over 20k.

1stdeadeye
04-30-2004, 03:11 PM
I am okay!! :D

Big'n slo
04-30-2004, 03:14 PM
I am okay!! :D

Some would say otherwise :p

What about mine!

ClassicMagger
04-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey:

I created a thread in Friendly so everyone can check their sigs with each other. The link is here. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135831) Hopefully this will help out.

ClassicMagger

1stdeadeye
04-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Some would say otherwise :p

What about mine!

ha ha ha :rolleyes: !

My mommy says I'm special! :p

Yours is just fine.

Crighton
04-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Help Help I'm being repressed.

Actually I'm not effected at all, but some one had to say it.

RenagadeOfFunk
04-30-2004, 03:42 PM
...i belive mine is in limits...(its too sexy to be deleted...) :D

GT
04-30-2004, 03:46 PM
*takes off pants*

what do you think of THIS sig phil? :eek:

serousily lets ditch sigs for avatars.

sneakyhacker420
04-30-2004, 03:50 PM
#1 - i fixed my sig

#2 - i think that you (yes you cphil) should put the "agd with one tube" thing on a table to the right of your cphil image

just a suggestion ;)

Potatoboy
04-30-2004, 03:55 PM
#1 - i fixed my sig

Still one and a half times the allowed filesize.

People, remember, there are a number of restrictions, just because you're ok on one does not mean your image is legal.

WickeDKlowN
04-30-2004, 04:10 PM
even though mine's only a whopping 6 pixels over the limit, I'll resize it...

PRPB
04-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Mines 314 bytes over the 20k limit is that ok? As for the size IDK seems fine.

Cryer
04-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Mines 314 bytes over the 20k limit is that ok? As for the size IDK seems fine.
Did you make that in photoshop?

PRPB
04-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Did you make that in photoshop?

Yes I did.

Cryer
04-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes I did.
sweet. Got an Easy fix for you...

Originally, I posted this in a photshop thread along time ago.

Use "Save for Web" from the file menu (or "alt"+"Shift"+"Ctrl"+"S"). That way, you can optimize several different aspects of the final file like the color pallette.

On the right side of the dialogue box, you'll see an arrow in a circle (see pic). Click that, then "optimize to file size". This allows you to set parameters for your color pallette, for example: automatically cutting out colors you didn't use, or combining very similar colors to reduce your overall file size. (for sigs, the mods want everyone to use 20k or smaller images)
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67410&stc=1

Just set the file type (in your case, either GIF, PNG, or JPEG will work fine) and set the size limit down to like 18k. (for some reason, it always comes out alittle larger... I'd optimize for 20k and get a 20.2k image... :confused: )

Fixion
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Why are you so special that your sig should violate the guidelines? Your signature is a privilege, not a right. The next step they can take is to eliminate sigs altogether.

I've had this sig for a very long time, no one has ever complained about it (including mods), except for you. Its smaller in area than the maximum allowed size 61250 pixels vs. 40000 pixels, complies with the size limit, it isn't offensive, and its hosted on my own server* and using my own bandwith.

I guess I could make a new sig if needed.

PRPB
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
lol I always forget about that save for web part. :rolleyes: I'll go fix it then.

PRPB
04-30-2004, 04:58 PM
ok I have it down to 8889 bytes. Is everything else in my sig ok?

deathstalker
04-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I hope my sig is under compliance is it?
You're joking, right? 21851k, 418X133, AND you use quote tags. There's more to the sig guidelines than just images.

Again, Fixion, I don't understand why you think you're so special that yours should violate the guidelines. Guess what? A lot of people have been on AO longer than you and THEIR sigs meet the guidelines. If you want to talk about area, how tall would a sig be that was only one pixel wide but had the same area? Using your logic, that would still be appropriate. The guidelines don't state area, they state dimensions. Is it really that difficult for you to knock 50 pixels(?) off the width?

Go ahead, use your other sig as long as it meets the guidelines. Once I turn sigs back on, I'll use the other GREAT feature of the User CP: Ignore List. :rolleyes:

Cryer
04-30-2004, 05:32 PM
ok I have it down to 8889 bytes. Is everything else in my sig ok?
looks ok to me... its under 500 characters, right?

PRPB
04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
looks ok to me... its under 500 characters, right?

It should be, I'll give it a look.

Fixion
04-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Fixed on request of deathstalker.

RRfireblade
04-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Guessing mines ok?

WickeDKlowN
04-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Jay, yours seems fine.

Fixion, now yours is about 25 pixels too tall ;) (not that it bothers me; I run 1280x1024)

Dryden
04-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Fixed on request of deathstalker.Fixion, that sig is brilliant! LOL. Best laugh I've had all day. :)

SpecialBlend2786
04-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I hope mine is ok... I think i may have to shorten it a bit?

aww Fixion had one of the coolest sigs on AO :(

cphilip
04-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Jay yours sucks... oh wait! Thats a personal opionion not an official one!!!

hehehehe... I couldn't help myself.

You guys are all doing a great job of fixing these. I really appreciate it. Love ya.. mean it! :D

sneakyhacker420
04-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Still one and a half times the allowed filesize.

my bad - i had two files on my server, 1 .jpg, and 1 .gif, i put the gif in my sig and that was larger than the .jpg

so now i have the .jpg in there :cool:

wolfwood
05-01-2004, 01:43 AM
...but it is what the character wolfwood said on the japanese anime "trigun". So technically, I am not selling or dissing on any beliefs. On the other hand, the quote just so happened to be something I found agreeable to how I feel...

oh, yeah, the pic is good on, only about 14.something k but is wider than the dimensions listed, more like a banner, meaning less tall and more wide.

the pic is located on my friend's server, but sometimes he likes to mess with files, so if it looks...different...please let me know quick!

Potatoboy
05-01-2004, 01:56 AM
like i said before-

just because the size is ok, don't think the image is ok

it is way too wide for the guidelines.

MarkM
05-01-2004, 07:59 AM
my bad - i had two files on my server, 1 .jpg, and 1 .gif, i put the gif in my sig and that was larger than the .jpg

so now i have the .jpg in there :cool:
It's still too big a file size, I have attached your original and a slightly smaller within limits version, the difference is minimal but one is legal ;)

UltimatePaintballer
05-01-2004, 11:55 AM
thanks for checking mine :rolleyes:

Lohman446
05-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Hmm.. I wonder if mines legal :rolleyes:

BobTheCow
05-01-2004, 01:09 PM
The dead hotlink in my sig is supposed to be that O.W.N.E.D. sig image, attached to AO a while ago... is that gonna come back, or should I ditch it?Phil?? Anybody?!? :confused:

zeroack
05-01-2004, 01:11 PM
I changed mine yesterday...was a hair too long...

it's good now..

Zero

Jet-Xino
05-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Phil?? Anybody?!?

That won't be coming back anytime soon. I lost my sig pic when they switched over too. You just need to re upload the pic and update the link in your sig.

BobTheCow
05-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Bah, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case... :( anybody happen to have that pic saved?? The Opressed White Northern European Decendants sig logo... or sneaky could get off his lazy butt and make me that one he promised... ;)

SpecialBlend2786
05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I shortened mine, is it ok now?

RRfireblade
05-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Jay yours sucks... oh wait! Thats a personal opionion not an official one!!!

hehehehe... I couldn't help myself.

Oh yeah?

Well yours makes me want to croak. ;)

Yeah that's right, I said it.

(sticks his tongue out a Phil)

:D

tha flynnrod
05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
wow all this talk about sig guidelines...i cant even figure out how to put an image in my sig...much less put one in with all these guidelines....could be because im new...

cphilip
05-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah?

Well yours makes me want to croak. ;)

Yeah that's right, I said it.

(sticks his tongue out a Phil)

:D

boy... I cannot believe you even went there.... :D

cphilip
05-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I shortened mine, is it ok now?

Over 38K that one is... Dimentions is only one thing. File size is another.

I don't know why you all keep asking when you can check them yourself. Post them and then cover over them with your mouse and right click and it will open up the window...and then click on properties. It will should you the image size and dimentions. Easy....

Not certian how you do it with a mac. Need to know that myself. I know you can though... Someone post that up?

FragTek
05-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Mine should be OK according the the guidelines as long as they haven't changed... It was built upon the rules :)

The "over 500 character sig limiter" sucks however... I can't edit my sig anymore w/o having to change it up completely to be under 500 :(

cphilip
05-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Mine should be OK according the the guidelines as long as they haven't changed... It was built upon the rules :)

The "over 500 character sig limiter" sucks however... I can't edit my sig anymore w/o having to change it up completely to be under 500 :(

It can't be both then can it? I suggest you change it to comply with the rules. All of them. There is a line limit. Not a character limit. That character limit is software set. The Signatures rules are set by rule. I pointed this out to you several times. Yours still exceeds the text line limit no matter how you place it in there...

FragTek
05-02-2004, 09:43 AM
BS alert... Phil, you got on me once because the image was over the allowed size so I changed it and u said I was good to go :mad:

MarkM
05-02-2004, 08:00 PM
BS alert... Phil, you got on me once because the image was over the allowed size so I changed it and u said I was good to go :mad:
As you must have skimmed over a part of the rules ;)

• Text shall be limited to a reasonable ammount. If your sig image is the full 350x175px size, then you will only be allowed 2-3 lines of text. If your image is much smaller, you will be allowed more (say up to 6 lines). Its a signature, you dont need to quote the entire Encyclopedia Britanica, or itemize every item in your house. Just a few quips to give your signature some character.

SIGSays
05-02-2004, 11:06 PM
i hope mines good to stay... it's been like this forever.. i even changed it when a admin told me too.. he said it was fine... and the only thing i've change is the picture

cphilip
05-03-2004, 08:25 AM

Go back and read again. YOU SAID you were good to go. Even then you were claiming that. My last comment to you was the line rule. You basically ignored that and said the same thing your saying now... I am good to go. I never said that. All I said at the time was I would not jump on you about it unless someone found it annoying. Which I can almost assure you they do ...

Cryer
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
SPS16's sig is really pissing me off. :mad: He forgot to close an HTML tag or something, but its throwing the alignment off for the posts beneath his...

I cant get ahold of him either... :confused:

Z-man
05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Ill get him. He is flighty at times. But he is weak and easily disposed of in AIM!

FragTek
05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
well someone pleeeeez let me know if my sig is such an annoyance to you... and i'll gladly change it however you wish... :cool:

Cryer
05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Ill get him. He is flighty at times. But he is weak and easily disposed of in AIM!
THX :p

Potatoboy
05-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Alright kids.

Enough time.

Effective immediatly, we're going to be editing any signature for image violations.

This again, includes dimensions, filesize, and number of images.

Don't come whining if you get edited, you had fair warning. :P

coolcatpete
05-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Is mine legal if not can some one help me resize it.
Pete

1stdeadeye
05-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Is mine legal if not can some one help me resize it.
Pete

You are just fine! :cool:

JimmyBeam
05-09-2004, 09:16 PM
anyone seen or have a AO-AZ tag i could use?

1stdeadeye
05-09-2004, 09:18 PM
anyone seen or have a AO-AZ tag i could use?

Try this link!!! (http://www.directaffect.com/dev/jason/ao_states/home.html)

JimmyBeam
05-09-2004, 09:23 PM
sweet, you rock.....ok now for the test