PDA

View Full Version : Gate-loading boltless marker??

WetPaint
05-01-2004, 03:49 PM
While searching for some info on 03 Shocker "How it works" information, I found this collection of paintball-related patents.
http://airsoldier.com/~haveblue/tech/patents/

This one is especially interesting, in that the breech is sealed by a low-force sliding gate, instead of by pushing the paintball into the bore.
http://airsoldier.com/~haveblue/tech/patents/20030226555.pdf

The valve mech is suprisingly like a Mag, in that the first part of the trigger pull closes an "on-off" valve, while the remaining part dumps the air chamber into the breech.
One possible disadvantage is that the breech, of course, needs to be larger than the ball, so it will drop in freely, but this will allow considerable blow-by until the ball moves into the tighter confines of the barrell.
They seem to have covered this with a pusher attached to the gate, which can chamber the ball, but this leaves an empty space behind the ball which reduces efficiency.

Has a marker ever been produced that uses this loading method?

Is there a good explanation online on how the bolt/valve system of the 03 Shocker works? It looks like it would even have lower reciprocating mass than the X-valve, and could even be converted a mechanical action for those who hate electros..

p8ntball72
05-01-2004, 03:54 PM
www.icepaintball.com

the marker is called the Epic and I own two of them.

more info from owners @

http://pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=241

chris99506
05-01-2004, 03:55 PM
it's called an epic and it has a very loe rof. about 9 bps, but i've heard that they made an upgrade that will raise it to 15 bps

p8ntball72
05-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Epic shoots 9 bps like an mag chops.
all production guns in the last 2 years have shot faster than 9 bps.

dwab3000
05-01-2004, 04:08 PM
the epic is ok...its not the fastest...but its not 9 bps

on the site it listed where i shop alot, supply depot..sweet

the site also said about 15- 16 bps is what its capable of

WetPaint
05-01-2004, 04:46 PM
it's called an epic and it has a very loe rof. about 9 bps, but i've heard that they made an upgrade that will raise it to 15 bps

Yes, current models are rated at 12-15 BPS, which raises a question: Is there any real need to spray paint faster than this?
I ask because my current semi is a F1 Illustrator, which seems fast enough for any situation in woodsball.

Beyond trying to create a "paintball fog" in the path of a running opponent, is there any good reason for ridicoulously high rates of fire, or is it all just for bragging rights?

bleachit
05-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Beyond trying to create a "paintball fog" in the path of a running opponent, is there any good reason for ridicoulously high rates of fire, or is it all just for bragging rights?

You get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and a sick grin on your face.

xXHavokXx
05-01-2004, 09:13 PM
You get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and a sick grin on your face.

Hell yeah, like the DM4 +v35 smile we got at the shop today. Looking at the faces of kids while two dm4s tested the boards was pricless

huge eyes, open mouths, and the smell of fear.

chris99506
05-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Epic shoots 9 bps like an mag chops.
all production guns in the last 2 years have shot faster than 9 bps.

actually mags do chop, i had one. and the epic did originally shoot at 9 bps but they fixed it a while ago...

SpecialBlend2786
05-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I remember reading about the ICE Epic in APG a LONG time ago...

elpimpo
05-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Yes, current models are rated at 12-15 BPS, which raises a question: Is there any real need to spray paint faster than this?
I ask because my current semi is a F1 Illustrator, which seems fast enough for any situation in woodsball.

i run from bunker a to bunker b and you throw out 12- 15 balls and you have a good chance of getting me (thats if you can hit that) then you run from a to b and i throw out 20 and my chances increase by that much

nt2004
05-02-2004, 10:15 AM

You say the F1 is good for woodsball in this post. Do you play a lot of woodsball? If you do then it is perfectly understandable to get a bit confused at these crazy ROF's. Woodsball players dont need to rely as much on volleys of paint, it is more of a speedball thing. In open speedball fields, paintball becomes a game of "accuracy by volume" very often.

MarkM
05-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Not strictly true as in woodsball the chances of getting a hit on someone are diminished by the cover however the chance to hit that person are even more extended if they move to another point or look through a hole in the rootball as if you can only fire say 12 bps at them you might miss in that split second though if your marker is capable of faster rates of fire you stand a better chance of hitting them. By this I don't mean a full on rope of paint but just you could double tap and have two balls in the air quicker with a marker that will fire faster...a lot of people talk about rates of fire not meaning a lot in the woods this isn't the case as explained above. Without getting into a war in very very general terms I would be more worried if my opponent had an Angel rather than a Mag as in firing just the twice the standard mag would fire those balls slower than a standard Angel....NOTE STANDARD !!! so no flames!! 300fps is 300fps whichever marker it is coming from. The time difference between those two balls coming at me though IS different. the first one will be the same the second won't ;)

chris99506
05-02-2004, 11:05 AM
the man has a point :D

GT
05-02-2004, 11:15 AM
ease of ROF= great snap shooting. all to often pballers get pepe envy and think they can actually shoot 27bps for 1/4 of a second with magic software elves.

epic,
2.3 lbs. (including barrel and fore-grip) <---- if thats true that is pretty light. I dunno 600 bucks for a mech gun that isnt a mag or a cocker may not have a large audience. Looks neat! I would love to buy one on the cheap to mess with.

Big problem with some of this niche guns is that if anything goes wrong at the feild you are all on your own...

ritz
06-04-2004, 01:42 AM
epic, 2.3 lbs. (including barrel and fore-grip) <---- if thats true that is pretty light. I dunno 600 bucks for a mech gun that isnt a mag or a cocker may not have a large audience. Looks neat! I would love to buy one on the cheap to mess with.

Big problem with some of this niche guns is that if anything goes wrong at the feild you are all on your own...

its only $450... and the weight is right(tiny too). its nice being the only one in the area with one, but if i have problems its got to take a trip to cali because nobody here knows anything about them.

chris99506
06-04-2004, 07:02 AM
it's 450 now. but it was 900 when it first came out. my friend has one and he loves it, the only thing he doesnt like is how much gas it eats up. and the noise, but it doesnt sound any louder than your average mag to me.