PDA

View Full Version : OK time to come back into the sport

MaChu
05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Well things are coming together for me. Family just got back into a house, got myself a decent job, the Datsun is coming along very nicely(translation: its in pieces ;) ), and I just bumped into a former teammate from way back when aka what was called last year. He said that he has been playing with a few others, got himself a few sponsorships, and needs some more players for next year.

I have gone a whole year without playing, and I guess his words were like a wake up call. In the back of my mind, my brain was saying, "Hey Matt, you need to blow alot of money, right? Who needs a wallet full of cash every week? Thats for losers. What better way then getting that high when you shoot out half the other team, grabbing the flag in the blaze of glory, that feeling of knowing when you just bunkered somebody and moving on to your next unsuspecting victim, that stinging shock feeling of getting bunkered, well forget that feeling. Just remember all the good times with friends staying out late, being dog tired at the end of a tournament, and the memories of THE mag. Don't you think you need to get back into paintball? Its been long, a long time friend, time for Tom Kaye to lead you back to glory, to bring you into the light once again." I replied to myself, "Amen." The race was on to get things planned and in order to get all things necessary by the end of the school year.

Step one:Cannibalization...ing

First thing: Need to go through the scraps of a broken past. Going through the closet, opening up the boxes, I recovered the busted up 2k1 Angel from last season. Bad board, breech release broken, bah I won't be able to get $300. Most of my gear like my pants, jersey, pack, etc I have given away to my friends since they really needed it. Heck I thought I was never going to play paintball again. Damn my teammate! I blame it all on him, getting me all excited. Oh well, keep a mental note to add curse on him later. On to see what else I can scrounge up.

After much digging, things look a little bleak for things I can sell to get all new bling bling. An Angel, a year old case of Big Ball, Angel tool kit, two revolutions, 68ci 3000psi Pure Energy tank, charger for the POS, extra ball detents, couple of 9v's, LX kit for the mag I miss so much*kicks self for selling it for an angel*, old bolt for the mag*kicks self again*, various orings/parts, a shiny pro connect, and...wow thats it. Kinda sad. When getting back into things, you thought you still had a lot of things that you left. Oh well on to step two: The Planning. Muhahahaha.

The Planning
This is where I need AO's help. This is where I need your help. There are a bunch of smart, intelligent people on this board, also some people who like to reply to any post like a flies on crap, I don't care, just need some help deciding on what to do. Any input will be considered helpful(including those pie comments because pie is good). So far I have a few options:

1. The Ghetto Route
Sell the Angel, get a blowback, and use the money on everything else. This would be the cheaper route because I can spend the rest of the money on gear. Gear like Dickies work pants for paintball pants, Goodwill shirts for jerseys, duct tape for elbow pads. The ultimate sleeper :) Also means more money for the Datsun, she really needs a brand new wiring system.

2. The Real Deal

I could fix up the Angel by sending it to TAG with $200 for repairs or ...do what I feel is right. I want to hold that of which I haven't touched in a long time, a precious mag. I had a mag once. That sleek chrome powerfeed tube, the crisp, bounce of that RT trigger, the hummmmmm of paint as I pluck the Dye double trigger frame with the subtle chuff chuff after out shooting the revolution. Ahh it was a beautiful thing, me, myself and mag, as one. This means I would have to sell the Angel for something, pull money from the job, and get me one of those spiffy RT customs on the store website. Sell Angel, pay half, pay the rest, work a lot more, buy the rest of the gear which will consist of used pants, goggles, packs, pods, etc.

3. The Bling Bling

Sell my soul, get anything I want. Or bust my butt for 3 months, not saving any money and just getting whatever I want. No money for the project car Datsun, no eating, no nothing, just saving all my money until I become a former shell of myself and be a starved paintball maniac machine.

What do you think I should do?

I can't wait to play, its been so long. Ive had withdrawl symptoms from not playing in so long. Paintball is my antidrug, ok more like drug, I say to all of you, don't ever quit, it sucks.

So a year has passed, my game is probably all out of whack. Whats the news lately?

Chojin Man
05-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Sell your stuff. Save up a little more. Get a nice mag. Don't ever ever quit paintball again. ;)

Maybe your friend has a backup marker that you can use while you are saving to get your own gear. He did get you back into the sport again so its all his fault! He owes you one. :)

imstoiched!
05-02-2004, 09:39 PM
I vote for 3. You can't call yourself a serious PBller if you don't. That's coming from someone who started playing a year ago and just got his 6th gun this weekend! Did i mention I like Datsuns (esp. the Fairladys) :)

68magOwner
05-02-2004, 09:43 PM
(off topic) imstoiched- do you really live in va, cuz my chemestry teacher says "im stoiched" all the time (in refrence to stoicheomotry), and ive never heard something so stupid before, so, i thought, mabey u know the same guy, but he's in NC?

imstoiched!
05-02-2004, 09:54 PM
(off topic) imstoiched- do you really live in va, cuz my chemestry teacher says "im stoiched" all the time (in refrence to stoicheomotry), and ive never heard something so stupid before, so, i thought, mabey u know the same guy, but he's in NC?

OT answer. Yes I do live in VA. Im a car gearhead (To fix a broken car, FIRST tighten the nut behind the wheel!)Stoich refers to the air/fuel ratio. Very important in a high strung or turbocharged motor...esp one running 18psi of boost with the stuck internals like on my 4G63. How's that for being a gearhead.

Cars + PB = poorhouse!

imstoiched!
05-02-2004, 09:56 PM
MaChu,

JTR? Enough said!

ZapTheMad
05-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Get a subliminal tape to listen to while you sleep. In the background, it should be chanting "mag, mag, mag" :cool:

I have an old firebird ('73 Formula) that's been sittin forever waiting for some much needed TLC. It will still be there when I have the time and money to do so. I could have used all the bling I just blew on my new mag setup for those aluminum heads, intake, and header set deal I passed up. But then I wouldn't be ballin' next weekend with my new toy!

Check out ebay. Get used stuff, there is plenty going around right now. That way if you change your mind, you're likely to get back what you've got into it.

MaChu
05-02-2004, 11:33 PM
So ebay is a good place to look for stuff, also how much do you think I should sell my angel for?

OT-Yes, JTR+350ci V8+2100lb body= 2350lb car with more than 300hp and 300lb/ft torque in a track porshe inspired suspension. Insanity, pure insanity, or if I had about $10k I would like to keep it in the Nissan family and do a RB30DETT swap. 1000hp! :eek:

Army
05-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Yes, dig a deep hole and get another 'Mag!

BTW..great writing!

MaChu
05-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Ok guys, things are coming along, got a buyer for the angel and need a little help. I finally decided what gun I want, and by no suprise, it will be an all black RT Custom :) . Just makes my tailbone tingle with excitement.

With the gun decision out of the way, Im on the current search for gear. Im checking all the trade/sell forums for gear, but would also consider buying new gear.

Im in the search for pants. Previous statement has a nice ring to it. Im in the search for pants. Got myself a new catch phrase! Straight to the sig you go!

AO where can I find sturdy, durable, bang for your buck, paintball pants. I know already of common JT's, overpriced Dye's, and need something with a price tag of $30 or below. Kinda hard terms but I have faith that someone has a golden nugget of information to point me in the direction I seek.

Thanks
Matt(in the search for his pants) :D

Enemy
05-04-2004, 12:58 AM
try going to army or police surplus stores and buying a pair of bdu paints about 25 bucks the last pair i got had double stitching on the knees and my original pair i have been playing in for around 3 years all together...ps i know your fustration i quite for 9 months blew engine in 300z replaced engine wiring fried gave to shop. shop still cant fix so i say oh well..also what cars do the rb30s come in ive only heard of vg30s and the next up would be the vq35...did you mean rb26 thats the skyline motor or you can always go with an sr20. anyways back to pb.. good cheap packs are the team rage packs especially if you have a friend that can get one at cost instead of at sale prices. masks i love the jt spectras they are the same as the flex 7s just hey dont flex and most masks today dont either so..then when you get it all together you buy a case of paint one week shoot half then save rest then save pay check from the next week for car parts..it adds up eventually and all will be happy..

Enemy
05-04-2004, 12:59 AM
and ofcoarse alittle off topic but which datsun are you talking about???

vf-xx
05-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Well see the true answer depends on how you're going to refurb the Datsun.

Presumably it's a Datsun Fairlady Z. 'IF' you're going to do the right thing and fix up that car like Prowl, Bluestreak, or Silverstreak then by all means take option one.

If you're not refurbing the car as described go as per option 2. Despite what some folks might say/think, there is life ouside of paintball.

If you do not understand the references in my first suggestion then you're too young and should just give me all your money..... ;)

Konigballer
05-04-2004, 02:19 AM
yeah I'll second Army and say that was an abnormally well written post :)

I woulds splurge for a mag, and my reasoning is this:
Your project Datsun will probably suck down alot more dough at
the end of its completion than your paintball gear will. I mean,
paintball is expensive but it can be chump change compared to
guys will spend fixing up cars.

Plus, it is a Datsun, you must really like this car because your
not rebuilding one to get all the ladies with, the thing is'nt a '69
Stingray or anything. So because you must love this car and its
your ongoing project, why not let it wait a little bit longer.
It will come together in good time and while it does, you can
be blastin' suckas' with your pimped out RT. It sounds like a
good idea to me.

PS: was'nt insulting your Datsun, I like the early model Z's. I myself must hobble around town in a homely little chevy prizm, which is far from the 1972 Lamborghini Miura SV that I imagine I'm driving....

MaChu
05-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Where do I begin?

Datsun- The reason I love the Datsuns is very simple. I admire their unibody construction, the curves, the hatchback design, I6, perfect balance, great suspension and handling. Even though it wasn't the most powerful car, like a Z28 Camaro or BOSS Mustang, it will kill all of them in the twisties. I was already in love with it just for the looks, but what got me sold is the price and performance, sort of like a mag. Mags can run with electro's toe for toe, well my dad's friend used to race them against Porshe, Ferrari, and Vette's and he kept up with them the whole time on the track. With triple Webers, small head work, and a 5 speed transmission, you can get 250hp to the rear wheels. Call me crazy, but I'd rather take a Datsun over any new import sport sedan if it were done right. Like all good cars, it has a very interesting story. Mr. K looks at America, sees that the small import cars aren't all that popular, designs a sports car for a VERY affordable price that incoporates all great European sports cars and the Vette with a bargain price, and becomes a hit with a following basically in an instant.

The RB30DETT is basically a bored over RB27DETT to make it a 3.0L. RB is the series name for the engine, the 30 stands for 3.0L like 27 stands for 2.7L like 26 stands for 2.6L, the D stands for dual overhead cams, E for electronic fuel injection, and TT for, of course, twin turbo.I sound like a geek. :cool:

Also, who ever said a Datsun isn't a chick magnet? :confused: It starts up conversations, its a two seater, looks very nice, and once I'm done with it, it will be a chick magnet. :D

Ok, so it wasn't that simple....

Vfxx-you lost me :D , Im only 16, and sorry can't buy your stuff during Memorial Day weekend :( Good luck on selling it though!

Konig-we can all dream, can't we? Imagination spurs innovation, and dreams hold together the hope for a new future. This doesn't mean it gives you the right to make that Prism something its not though. Please for the sake of automotive integrity, don't make it into a domestic ricer. :p NO HUGE EXHAUST, WINGS, or ALTEZZA LIGHTS! Im a personal fan of the old Ferrari 250 GTO. Yummy!

Paintball-
Ive found my pants and a whole lot more! I thank AGD for this fine forum! I *heart* AO.

jesseyo13
05-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey, Ill help you out a little. If you havnt sold the angel tool kit Ill take it off your hands for 25. Btw you can get an angel led or lcd on ebay with air for about 400. Email me at [email protected]

vf-xx
05-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Vfxx-you lost me :D , Im only 16, and sorry can't buy your stuff during Memorial Day weekend :( Good luck on selling it though!

www.tfracetrack.com/images/blue_bluestreak.jpg
www.transformertoys.co.uk/ bluestreak.htm
http://www.telefragged.com/transformers/images/bsrobotscreen.jpg

That should clear things up.

MaChu
05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Getting back in: The Saga Continues

Did y'all think I would just let this thread float away into the mists of forgotten threads? HA! Time for an update:

I sold my beater of an Angel to Sinistarr, who by the way is an excellent trader, and got $325 out of it. Then the spending spree began. All my equipment is getting to me as I type. Tunaman is building me my mag, hopefully he has gotten my MO, which consists of the following:

ALL BLACK
X-valve
ULE CF Body
Regular Mag Rail
Intelliframe
Foregrip
Stock barrel

All for drum roll please...drum roll please...ok no drum roll, $465 SHIPPED! :eek: That is an incredible deal considering that used those mag with those specs go for near $500! If you need a mag, PM the man, of the Tuna kind.

Also, Ebay is a great thing. I won a bid of all the equipment I need excluding pants and jersey. This means Dye pads, both knee and elbow, masks, harness with pods, VL2000, lanyards, gear bag, all totaling up to about $200 worth of stuff for $100 shipped. Good deal if you ask me.

So far everything is a near go. But I need two things to get my ballin on. Apparel. Jerseys can wait, but paintball pants are a must. I cannot seem to find a good pair of $20 used pants. I mean I can indulge and just pay full price for a new pair, but again Im on a budget. So AO, anyone know any good sites with pants cheap? Preferably JT's?

punkncat
05-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Where do I begin?

Datsun- The reason I love the Datsuns is very simple. I admire their unibody construction, the curves, the hatchback design, I6, perfect balance, great suspension and handling. Even though it wasn't the most powerful car, like a Z28 Camaro or BOSS Mustang, it will kill all of them in the twisties. I was already in love with it just for the looks, but what got me sold is the price and performance, sort of like a mag. Mags can run with electro's toe for toe, well my dad's friend used to race them against Porshe, Ferrari, and Vette's and he kept up with them the whole time on the track. With triple Webers, small head work, and a 5 speed transmission, you can get 250hp to the rear wheels. Call me crazy, but I'd rather take a Datsun over any new import sport sedan if it were done right. Like all good cars, it has a very interesting story. Mr. K looks at America, sees that the small import cars aren't all that popular, designs a sports car for a VERY affordable price that incoporates all great European sports cars and the Vette with a bargain price, and becomes a hit with a following basically in an instant.

The RB30DETT is basically a bored over RB27DETT to make it a 3.0L. RB is the series name for the engine, the 30 stands for 3.0L like 27 stands for 2.7L like 26 stands for 2.6L, the D stands for dual overhead cams, E for electronic fuel injection, and TT for, of course, twin turbo.I sound like a geek. :cool:

I used to own an 83 280Z. Steel grey with a burgandy interior. I bought it from a guy who lived in Florida.
Drove it around for a few weeks and met up with a few people who tooled on Z cars. They had loads of extra parts left over from their past upgrades. I bought a big blue Turbo can't rememer the name , wanna say allison but not positive. Got some exhaust , and a few other goodies along with some head work and a new fuel puter and had one of the guys put it all in.
Well everything was awesome at first. This thing was a muscle car EATER. It was absolutely STUPID fast. I hadn't even done the suspention yet (I liked the tuck when it took off) and it handled perfect.Great the way it steered with the gas pedal.
Well soon after the upgrade it all changed. Every time I got hard in the gas the car would pull one way and when I let off it would pull the other.
I took it to a shop thinking it was nothing more than a bad idler arm or something. The mechanic came back out and asked me to come back. As I was walking back he told me I needed to call a wrecker to come get my car , that they wouldn't even allow me to drive it home. The beams(frame)in the front right behind the wheels coming out of the firewall were completly rotted with rust. The new power I had added to the car had cracked the drivers side. There was litterally metal missing from the frame .
It was so hard to find a new body to put all my parts into at the time. This was right around the same time Nissan was buying them back for their restoration projects a few years back. I could have bought a good whole car for the price of a straight rust free body.
I sure miss it.....

nato
05-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Good to see you coming back! My suggestion is this. Eat Roman Noodles for an entire year... at 15 cents a meal you cant go wrong! When you go out with friends do things with them that dont cost money... Examples like breaking things, wrestling each other and so on.

GL

N.A.T.O.

MaChu
05-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Advice noted. Speaking from personal experience I guess?

Cryer
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Good to see you coming back! My suggestion is this. Eat Roman Noodles for an entire year... at 15 cents a meal you cant go wrong! When you go out with friends do things with them that dont cost money... Examples like breaking things, wrestling each other and so on.

GL

N.A.T.O.
Sound advice from a fellow Guy.

Hell, you cant go wrong with ramen. There are creative ways to fix it, if you get tired of straight ramen soup. Plus its perhaps the most economically sound meal. Aside from hunting... but that takes patience and animals.

Budget everything not used for necessary bills (ie: ramen noodles and cheap women) and throw it at paintball.

Creative Mayhem
05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Sell your stuff. Save up a little more. Get a nice mag. Don't ever ever quit paintball again. ;)

I agree 100%

Oh, and dont forget to make your buddy by you some pie :D

OysterBoy
05-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Thru it all, I cant help asking;

can I buy that LX Kit? I need it badly. :D

Good to see your back, that was quite a good read. Ever think of becoming a descriptive writer? lol.

nato
05-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Advice noted. Speaking from personal experience I guess?

Dude... that's my life. How else do you think I can afford playing paintball every weekend and sometimes during the weekday?

...Plus I'm Jewish ;)

N.A.T.O.