PDA

View Full Version : AO Webmaster Sending Emails?

flyinasian016
05-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey,

I was just checking my e-mail account and i had an email with the subject "RE: Can you confirm" from WEbmaster@automags.org . Now this may not seem to fishy but the email had a .pif attatchment. I heard that someone or something was cloaking themselves behind false email addresses. I was wondering if AO sends emails with attatchements or if i should delete it. The body of the text read "Can you confirm this?". I personally dont want to get a virus on my computer. So if you have got this email or something please let me know.

Thanks
FlyinAsian016

Halliday
05-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Virus. I've been getting a few a day for the last month from all sorts of "legitimate" sources.

cphilip
05-03-2004, 03:18 PM
We never send an auto email with an attachment. Someones got a virus that has this email address in thier adress book. delete them.

Muzikman
05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
These emails are coming from someone who has webmaster@automags.org in their Outlook address book. The virus is them taking that address and spoofing it to make it look like the message is coming from that address. It then send the email with virus attached to other addresses in that person's outlook address book. So, the person who is really sending you that virus is someone on AO, that has both your and Webby's email address in their Outlook Address book.

flyinasian016
05-03-2004, 03:24 PM
OK thanks, so because i didnt open it i should be fine?

thecavemankevin
05-03-2004, 03:42 PM
you should be fine, but if you have anti virus software...it'd be a good idea to run it