PDA

View Full Version : Bolt locked forward

Chris wright
05-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Currently my REALLY old Automag (number 963) has the bolt stuck forward, is leaking out of the barrel unless trigger is held, is not getting enough pressure to push the bolt forward and has air trapped in the valve despite all hoses being removed. I'm cautious to remove the valve as it doesn't have the "safety" notch and may shot back.

At this point all o-rings have been replaced. I feel that it may requie a new power tip spring and velocity spring. What is your opinion? Will that stop the leaking down the barrel problem? The o-rings are in correctly.

The bolt is not locked forward as a result of the wire nubin being turned back.

I e-mailed Tom and he said this gun should probably still work - and directed me here. It's an old first generation Jax Warriors tournament gun I used around 1992. Can you help?

athomas
05-04-2004, 12:54 PM
If you have the air removed, and the gun is still pressurized but leaking, it will become empty soon anyway. With the gun degassed, pull the trigger until the gun fires itself dry. If it doesn't fire as you have mentioned, hold the back of the valve with your hand as you remove the field strip screw. Then pull the trigger and gently let the valve push itself out the back of the gun. As the bolt spring decompresses, the bolt will move forward and release any air in the chamber. The valve will then be totally degassed. Just to be safe, make sure you pull the valve out so that the on/off pin is aimed into a cloth in case it decides to shoot out.

Now, check the condition of the sear. Replace the bolt spring, too. The powertube spring may be bad. Replace it if you have a new one. If you don't, get a powertube spacer kit. Better yet, get a level 10 bolt setup.

The leaking down the barrel is usually a bad powertube o-ring, especially if the leak stops when you hold the trigger. Now why is the air flowing while the bolt is forward. The forward bolt usually holds the on/off closed unless there is wear somewhere (probably sear).

Check that the rail bushing at the back of the valve is in place.