PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "old school" pullover jerseys?

c sherer
05-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Anybody know where to find the old style pullover v-neck camo jerseys? Tim Schloss made them years ago and I've searched high and low to no avail. I could go back to the standard BDU buttondown, but I much prefer the pullovers...

CoSh

SpecialBlend2786
05-04-2004, 11:19 PM
www.blackstarpaintball.com :D

awesome jerseys! super comfy and look great!

ramennoodles
05-04-2004, 11:21 PM
i love blackstar's gear too, but i think he is looking for camo.

c sherer
05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
yea, I guess I need to clarify. Didn't realise there was an "old skool" brand.

Old School meaning a style originating from paintball years past - not a brand name. And yes, in camo - any kind (realtree, tiger, etc.) made from heavy cotton material. Sandana also made them, but now appear to only make headbands, doo rags, etc.

All I can find are the ubiquitous slick colored jerseys (dye, sp, jt, etc.).

C

MarkM
05-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Walmart sell the hunting stuff ie Real Tree etc and should have a pullover version available. If they don't have it then try an outdoors pursuits store only trouble is due to hunting being rather large in the states you will pay a lot of money for the top :(

-=Squid=-
05-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Try www.shartleycustoms.com ... he makes a camo style jersey.

oldsoldier
05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Used to be a company named renegade that sold them...I have a tiger stripe set a while ago. I know they still made them as of last year, as I saw them in a local shop. Good luck

Jeffy-CanCon
05-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Renegade was a Smart-Parts brand, and the jerseys are no longer listed on their website. MarkM has the best suggestion - try WalMart, or a hunting gear store.

Vanced
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I have to agree with some of the other suggestions...

Just go to your local Wal-Mart of a specialty store like a Gander Moutain ...

I pick up the long sleeve Camo Turtle necks ... I like having the extra neck protection ... they typicall run $15.00-$25.00 based on the name brand and quality. And you can find them in the off hunting season often 50% off...

They come in a good varity of patterns and colors to match the areas you play in. Be it more green, brown, heavy or light woods... They last a good couple seasons as long as you know not to put them in the dryer as they typically fade very easily if you do. Just wash um and hang um up after each play day and they work very well...

c sherer
05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Yea, I've looked at wally world, bass pro shops, etc. and have not found exactly what i'm looking for. Most of those are actual heavy shirts and not quite the pullover style I'm searching for.

Here is a pic of the exact style:

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/recreational/foolsgold/gallery/ben.JPG
(in fact, I'll bet that is one of Tim Schloss's products)

I've used these all through the 90s and for those of you who have(had) them, you know how much more comfortable these are over standard BDUs.

Today, all jerseys are thin, nylon-esque mesh material and while these are fine in most places, when you head off to the woods to play, these brightly colored jerseys are useless. Plus they get ruined in heavy brush very quickly.

Its a shame Pursuit Products went OOB, as they made one heckuva jersey. Maybe too well - they lasted forever (well maybe 8 years of heavy use) and you usually only needed to buy one or two.

CoSh

Vanced
05-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Try Cabela's ... @ www.cabelas.com

Here is just one quick link to a light weight long or short sleeve shirt that might fit your description... and they have many other options on the website... I have used their stuff for years and they are one of the top notch mail order services in the sporting world...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0005359&navAction=push&navCount=4&indexId=cat470112&parentId=cat470112&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076

And if you are looking for more of the a pull over type here is one that is a henley style with three buttons in the front that will allow you to open it up for a quick pull over...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0014849931455a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat470111&podId=0014849&catalogCode=XD&parentId=cat470111&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076&hasJS=true

hotrod
05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
How about this one? I've never heard of Core before.

http://www.gotpaintball.com/df/product.cgi/285/

c sherer
05-05-2004, 12:01 PM
the CORE stuff sounds close, and for 20 bucks, I'd give it a try, but I've only seen small & medium size. I need XL. It looks like all the core stuff is clearance wherever I've linked to.

SP Renegades versions are also no longer made, near as I can tell.

CoSh

Tyger
05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Ok, quick search.... These folks have the Renegades in woodland. (http://www.pbsportsnmore.com/scripts/showcat.cgi?8) I also remembered that Hogan's Alley still had Renegades (Pre SP) (http://www.hogansalleypaintball.com/Clothing/clothing.html) too. Hope that helps.

-Tyger (Still looking through old bins for another set of black sleeved tiger stripes....)

Jeffy-CanCon
05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
WooHoo! There's still hope! I had given up on finding a camo pullover top a year ago.

MarkM
05-05-2004, 03:01 PM
WooHoo! There's still hope! I had given up on finding a camo pullover top a year ago.
Doesn't effect me as I never sold any of my cammo...oh hold on I did sell one shirt but then only as I realised it was Special forces military advisor in 'Nam pattern, got good money for it :D but all my other stuff I still have including a set custom printed stuff, actually used my Sandana gear a couple of years ago.
The Cabelas stuff linked above I think looks pretty good and same price as the paintball version and made from some kind of fancy fabric according the the website, a lot cheaper than I was expecting it to be

c sherer
05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Tyger, you are an old school pimp! I wondered if I'd hear from you on this one.

Looks like those will fit the bill well enough even though they are crew neck, so time to burn up the ole credit card.

Still like to find Tim Schloss versions - I'd kill to have my old black sleeve realtree vneck reproduced again!

Thanks Gents!

CoSh

BTW, anyone enterprizing could look into starting up a quality recball jersey biz and make some decent $$. I expect there are many more like me who want quality camo jerseys & pants...

Tyger
05-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Old school pimp. Hmm... And me without a big camo fedora with dangle-balls hanging from the brim... I can do a mean sloop tho...

I know where you can get tiger stripe material, if you want to make your own. I mean, the main company still exists. (http://www.tspcamo.com/sys-tmpl/door/) And I've SEEN the urban tiger stuff. Cool stuff, I'll have to get some base material now. WHEE!

-Tyger

MarkM
05-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Old school pimp. Hmm... And me without a big camo fedora with dangle-balls hanging from the brim... I can do a mean sloop tho...
-Tyger
Now on the subject of headwear :D

shortfri
05-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Smart Parts still makes the renegade jersey in several camos. Called about them last night. just call and ask for sales. They are 29.95 plus shipping i think. But i remember the jersey you are looking for. I'm also looking for one but can't even find a used one.

Tyger
05-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Now on the subject of headwear :D

note : NO EARS! There are no ears on that sandana!

And no dangle balls either. thank you large.

-Tyger

MarkM
05-06-2004, 10:45 AM
note : NO EARS! There are no ears on that sandana!

And no dangle balls either. thank you large.

-Tyger
Only 'cos I photoshopped them out ;) :p :D
It was more your friend I was posting the pic about than you. that was that stupid long wait we both had to see if we had qualified....crazy that games that had finished 2+ hrs before hadn't been posted.
But then what is next year going to be like with that crazy prize money up for grabs...half the refs I talked to that I know won't be there for that and I'm sure you heard the same things.

Jeffy-CanCon
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Skyball?

I know a lot of those refs - they belong to my club. Most reported not having a good experience this year . "Worst ever" came up a couple of times.

MarkM
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Jeff some of the refs I was talking about were Candian Contigent, plus a few more who I have gotten to know over the years...I ref as well and I would be at the next Skyball as a ref however the money would have to be very very very good as I know that the event is going to overrun due to the huge prize money they have announced for the next event and players in my face as they would feel that I would have personally cost them the big cheque. Do you want the crap that is going to go on with players trying to win $100,000 CDN outright? It is a good prize no doubt but the associated infra structure is not there to support the refs, if the refs don't get it in the neck then the organisors will, look how bad the paint was, marbles that bounced off of everything and then a new (air got to it) batch that broke in everything. Sure I had bounces on myself but gave out way more than I got, so games would have been over earlier. Don't get me wrong I like the event but I would not want to be wearing anything that identified me as being part of the event other than a players pass.

Tyger
05-06-2004, 02:44 PM
It was more your friend I was posting the pic about than you. that was that stupid long wait we both had to see if we had qualified....crazy that games that had finished 2+ hrs before hadn't been posted.
But then what is next year going to be like with that crazy prize money up for grabs...half the refs I talked to that I know won't be there for that and I'm sure you heard the same things.

I don't see myself going next year. At all. I don't see a reason to get treated WORSE than we did this year. I don't expect any VIP treatment. By he same token, I expect to be treated with at least some respect as a player. I expect the staff to at least pretend to be safe (How many times did the ultimate ref run into the field without his goggles on?) I expect the organisers to take the event SERIOUSLY ("we have a debounce.... expert?")

I've gone beyond talking about players at events like this. Players will do what players will do, regardless of the risks. And I won't talk about the overworked referees, who made some calls that I can't believe (in one case, a player conned a ref into believing a WET PAINT mark was from a previous game, even though it's player responsibility to clean themselves off between games.) The refs are overworked, the players are overwound, and the organisers of Skyball have told me point blank that Skyball has never turned a profit. Put all this together and add the $100,000 CN prize money fuse, and you don't have a tournament, you have an explosion waiting to happen.

And I don't want to be there for it.

Ok, threadjack over. I'm done with Skyball.

-Tyger

MarkM
05-06-2004, 03:16 PM
And I don't want to be there for it.

Ok, threadjack over. I'm done with Skyball.

-Tyger
You may not want to but you know you will go if only to watch the fireworks.
I know what you mean about the head judges thing...the clipboard was good protection wasn't it? and that nice carpet must have had Miracle Grow embeded in it as the judges feet got rooted to the spot very quickly. I even had a judge trying to call me out from the sidelines (I was in the back 50 and the judge 6 feet in front of me called the bounce, overruling the sidelines judge who didn't move for all of the event.)
I had a couple of extremely dodgy calls made regarding paint on loaders claimed as paint smear from a bunker that had not be shot at from a particular end but then over work is an excuse but not for the money as a player I have made to the event.
Profit turning as a commercial thing is good but when your company also turns a good profit elsewhere a nice little loss is very good, though I seriously doubt the losses quoted are accurate (but then I do have a little more info than most people as regards that part of it ;) )
What do you mean threadjack over...the info for the thread has been provided and venting our spleens is way more fun :D
BTW if you want the hi res version of that pic drop me an email.

Tyger
05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
You may not want to but you know you will go if only to watch the fireworks.
What do you mean threadjack over...the info for the thread has been provided and venting our spleens is way more fun :D
BTW if you want the hi res version of that pic drop me an email.

I'm cool with the low res. decent pic too.

Why spend the money to watch fireworks? I can wait for July 3 and do it free in Chicago. Better music too. (July 4 the rest of the country does it...)

I meant MY threadjack over. I'd rather talk camo. I'm still looking for another tigerstripe pullover, and I don't want to sew it myself again. If I can help it...

-Tyger

c sherer
07-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Tyger (and other interested parties),

Picked up an XL Renegades tiger stripe jersey. Yea, I know, I'll burn for buying a smart parts product, but alas, that was my only option.

I was actually impressed with the material and design. Solid & heavy material; well constructed; solid & strong sew lines. I'd swear they get their material from Tim Schloss. The only thing I didn't like was the crew neck design (I much prefer a v-neck). The size was plenty large enough (i'm 6'3" 230#) and had room to spare. It survived the heavy brush/thorns/briars/etc. of central ohio (The Bash) without a scratch. Washed twice and still looks brand new.

So, if anyone longs for the old school style woods jerseys reminiscent of Tim Schloss' Pursuit Products days, these are the nearest thing to the real deal. And at under 40 bucks, a great price too.

Oh yea, and I ordered direct from SP - They either still make them or have loads in stock as they didn't bat an eye when I asked for them.

CoSh

Burphel
07-02-2004, 04:10 AM
I have a set of the Core ones in L (I would have done better with XL, but they were out). They're pretty comfy and generate an ungodly bounce count to boot. The camo pattern is closer to the new tigerstripe but isn't even quite right there. The brown is very orange-ish and the green is almost lime-ish. Up close it's bizarre looking, but it seems to work well in the shade and if you've got bright greens.

Nothing firm yet, but Evil Inc. is looking at getting some CSG jerseys done in camo with our logos in subdued print for on-field use (in addition to more conventional 'sponsor whore' jersies for off-field). OVTS is the leading contender as patterns go, being a combo of good camo and with a certain 'old school' intimidation factor, although a Cadpat/Marpat type digital pattern is possible also. If it happens, CSG might be willing to use the tiger stripe image for other custom jersies. Maybe even an AO Woodsball jersey. Won't give the nice fading of cotton or the bounces, but it's a camo jersey, and will be a lot more breathable for playing in hot weather.

shartley
07-02-2004, 05:01 AM
I have a set of the Core ones in L (I would have done better with XL, but they were out). They're pretty comfy and generate an ungodly bounce count to boot. The camo pattern is closer to the new tigerstripe but isn't even quite right there. The brown is very orange-ish and the green is almost lime-ish. Up close it's bizarre looking, but it seems to work well in the shade and if you've got bright greens.

Nothing firm yet, but Evil Inc. is looking at getting some CSG jerseys done in camo with our logos in subdued print for on-field use (in addition to more conventional 'sponsor whore' jersies for off-field). OVTS is the leading contender as patterns go, being a combo of good camo and with a certain 'old school' intimidation factor, although a Cadpat/Marpat type digital pattern is possible also. If it happens, CSG might be willing to use the tiger stripe image for other custom jersies. Maybe even an AO Woodsball jersey. Won't give the nice fading of cotton or the bounces, but it's a camo jersey, and will be a lot more breathable for playing in hot weather.
Yes, this is true. And as posted, I also have a camo jersey that walks the border between speedball AND woodsball….. and it was planned and put into queue for production long before talks of other CSG camo jerseys were designed. Seems camo is the thing now. I will post pictures of my jerseys when they get to me, which should be any day now.

In fact they (CSG) is now offering 3 camo patterns as template jerseys.

Burphel
07-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Cool. I didn't realize CSG already offered camo backgrounds. The idea for us doing it evolved out of my wearing a subued-logo version of the PPIG Fractal jersey. Flashy jerseys are inconsistant with out style of play, but at the same time we want to do right by our sponsors when we're not trying to blend in.

I don't think I ever said the jerseys we're doing were a first, just a possibility since some of the people here are looking for tiger stripe in particular. As for acting like anyone was the first to think of camo jerseys, it's way too late for that. The need for camo has never gone away, it's just that woodsballers seem to have been content for a while to stick with camo t-shirts, BDU tops, or less-bright jerseys. Now that companies like AGD and others are starting to pay attention to what the rec player wants, they're coming back.

Let's just hope that Smart Parts didn't take out a patent on camoflage paintball jerseys. We all know they weren't the first, nor do they actually make them. But since when has that stopped them?

shartley
07-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Cool. I didn't realize CSG already offered camo backgrounds. The idea for us doing it evolved out of my wearing a subued-logo version of the PPIG Fractal jersey. Flashy jerseys are inconsistant with out style of play, but at the same time we want to do right by our sponsors when we're not trying to blend in.

I don't think I ever said the jerseys we're doing were a first, just a possibility since some of the people here are looking for tiger stripe in particular. As for acting like anyone was the first to think of camo jerseys, it's way too late for that. The need for camo has never gone away, it's just that woodsballers seem to have been content for a while to stick with camo t-shirts, BDU tops, or less-bright jerseys. Now that companies like AGD and others are starting to pay attention to what the rec player wants, they're coming back.

Let's just hope that Smart Parts didn't take out a patent on camoflage paintball jerseys. We all know they weren't the first, nor do they actually make them. But since when has that stopped them?
First of all let me apologize if you thought I was talking about your jerseys in particular… I was not. I was talking about my jerseys in comparison to what CSG is now going to offer people as a stock jersey template. I was saying I wish mine had hit the market before they started offering camo as a template… since mine has been in the works for quite some time. Again..... I was not saying mine were first for paintball... but first off the CSG production line.

I am not upset at them though, and fully understand why they are offering it now.

And I will also point out that there have always been companies that paid attention to the needs of rec/woodsball players. Just because you didn’t see some of the stuff in local paintball shops didn’t mean it wasn’t there and players were not getting it. In fact, there have been a few camo jerseys on the market all this time…. You just had to look for them, and most folks forgot they were there. ;)

The companies now starting to focus on that group (who had left it behind to go after the speedball players) are nice, but they can’t take credit (nor should credit be given it) for the resurgence of rec/woodsball. They simply saw where they can make money and went in that direction… they were not the cause of the resurgence, only reacted to it. This growth of a market that never went away, but was ignored by far too many paintball companies, is not because of these companies but because of the players themselves.