PDA

View Full Version : Dye Throttle Tanks

ghed
05-05-2004, 03:45 PM
I ordered a Crossfire stubby awhile back but its been backordered for almost 3 weeks now. So now Im considering spending the extra $20 for a Throttle stubby. If anyone has used one or has a friend who has used one, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Vanced
05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I know a guy who uses one on his DM4 ... He is a local shop owner, old school guy, and played his share of tourny ball so I trust his input...

He likes the tank and I asked his opinion of it and this is what he told me...

Very nice tank, very light, good quality, consistant, BUT...

If you take your tank on and off a lot , and expecially if you do it under pressure without an on/off the aluminum threads are not nickle or chrome plated and wear fairly easily and could cause a leak in time....

And he showed me how his had started to wear, and was easily through the black anno and was wearing away... As any one who has delt with Aluminum threads can attest to...

No sKiLLz
05-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Hold out for the crossfire. Better recharge rate.

thei3ug
05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
tanks don't seal on the threads like fittings do. The oring expands under pressure and seals against the walls. Even if the threads are a tad loose, you shouldn't have trouble. In fact, there's a very wide tolerance variation from ASA to the next... some are even a different thread than the standard. So long as that oring is snug, your threads could be striped like a zebra and never have trouble.

All threads will wear. Only if they get mashed do you have a problem.

If thread wear were a problem, there wouldn't be millions of brass valves on CO2 and HPA tanks across the world. I myself have used the same brass pin valve on a few of my tanks for 10 years, and it was well used when I bought it.

Muzikman
05-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Not to mention most ASA adapters are aluminum and have been around for years and never had a problem. Just because ano worse off, does not mean the threads are wearing out. That tank will be unusable before you see a problem with the threads.

RenagadeOfFunk
05-05-2004, 05:58 PM
DON'T BUY DYE THROTTLES!!!
...i helped the techs at the AGD factory and my tank did the worst....it said 850 out put..it only went to 740output with full 4500 fill...and it dropped off to 600psi (non-working) within 2 shots...(AKA 2 bps)

...my e-mag wouldn't even fire...

AGDJon said the burstdisks cover was crappy also since it could just shoot out at someone...

chasden
05-05-2004, 07:54 PM
The new issue of PGI's What Paintball Gear? puts 8 Air Systems to the test and out of the 8 the Dye Throttle was WORST in terms of recharge rate and second worst in terms of percentage pressure drop between shots. The Crossfire came out on top with the best results: shortest recharge time and least pressure drop between shots.

Schnitzel
05-05-2004, 08:53 PM
yeah i read that one too. keep the crossfire.

ghed
05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Hmm if AGD techs give it a bad review Ill pass on it.

BTW does anyone have an idea on when the next batch of Crossfire tanks will be out....they are out of stock everywhere Ive checked.

SpecialBlend2786
05-06-2004, 12:15 AM
The threads on the tank will be fine as long as you oil them before screwing it into your ASA.

My Throttle has worked perfectly, keeps up with my X-valved RT and my Imp (when I still had it), but I have heard some accounts of others not being too lucky. I guess I just got a good one

RenagadeOfFunk
05-06-2004, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=ghed]Hmm if AGD techs give it a bad review Ill pass on it.[QUOTE]

LOL...my info with AGD beats magazines... SO TRUE!!!