PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on running shoes please...

slateman
05-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Here's the thing. The shoes I have are falling apart. I can hear this kind of squishing noise when I walk.

So I have some questions. What am I looking for when I buy some running shoes? Is it worth it to buy a pair of uber $$ ones? Is there anything that will reduce the impact on my joints?

I try to run at least 1.5 miles a day. Frequently I run 2+ in two different sets. I will be progressing to 4-6 miles once or twice a week soon (hopefully within a couple of weeks if the docs OK it). Its usually over sidewalks and road although occasionally I do a couple trails.

Oh yea! My foot doesn't have much of an arch (if that makes a difference).

polorboy
05-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah, that does make a difference with your arch. I used to sell sneakers, mostly running shoes and they ones to get are Asics. I swear by them, and yes price does make a difference if you don't want to have to replace your knees with fake ones someday. I highly recommend the Gel Kayanno by Asics. They have a great arch and really help to dampen the impact from road running. You don't need to go out and buy this years model either (since it can retail for up to $140). Get last years (the same pair I own) and you could probably get them for like somewhere between $80 and $100. When you go look at a running shoe before you try it on take the display model and do 4 different tests on it. First hold the shoe between your hands with one palm on the toe and the other on the heal. Then try and fold the shoe. If it bends on the toe box (the front area of the shoe just in front of the laces) and no where else then it is a good shoe. Second try and twist the shoe, this is for latteral support and the shoe shold not twist much at all. Thirdly squease the heel cup area. If it is as hard as a rock or very very hard then that is good. Too soft is bad for your heal and will cause blisters and other bad problems. The fourth is very similar to the first except that try and bend the shoe on the arch. the shoe should NOT bend backward (up towards the rest of your body) on the arch. You can tell just by looking at the bottom of the shoe. If there is some kind of external extra support, be it a plastic structure or something else then it is good. Asics are expensive but they are also the best running sneaker money can buy. I have tested some nikes when I was selling sneakers and they all failed misserably. I could bend them like pretzles. Also stay away from the Nike shocks. They actually do more bad than good for your foot. They don't offer any support at all for running. They are all for looks.

graycie
05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
if you are running that frequently you should replace your running shoes a few times a year, otherwise the cushioning wears out and could cause more harm to your joints.

you don't have to spend alot on a pair of sneakers, you can get decent running shoes for around 60 dolla. buy what feels comfortable to you and try to buy your shoes at night when feet are at their widest. most sneakers have that added arch pad which is optional to put in, did you ever use orthotics? if you want to run on trails take into consideration the treads, and the weight of the shoe.

Kevmaster
05-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I've been a runner for three years competetively. Personally, I used Brooks. There are three type of people when it comes to foot movement: those who pronate, those who are normal, and those who supinate.

You NEED to get the shoe which fits you, which means is made for your type of running. Now, you will need someone to tell you which kind you are, and I recommend a local shoe store (not Champs, Dicks, Foot Action, etc).

You'll need to spend $80-100 for a good pair, but anything over $100 is just marketing.

Let me know if you have some more questions. I personally pronate and love Brooks addictions.

Bluestrike_2
05-06-2004, 07:22 PM
first off, the competitive view:

Light weight!

I'm a New Balance trainer kind of guy. New Balance/Saucony/Asics/Mizuno/Brooks are all great brands. Adidas has good trail shoes

Trainers are ONLY good for a mere 300-400 miles. After that, pitch 'em. Or keep them for work shoes. Don't go more than that.

Polorboy:

Nikes are not that bad of shoes. Ever hear of Nike Kennedy XC spikes? Or Zoom Waffles(both flat and spiked versions).

Granted these are performance racing shoes for Track and XC, but they are good shoes. Don't make such a general statement. While I prefer NB/Saucony/Asics/Brooks for trainers, I also feel that the Nike models are good, too. Although I do agree, the shocks are for looks, nothing more.

On a side note, your body is designed to absorb shock. Try running barefoot(in the grass because the asphault can cut the foot.) Also, purchase from a specialized RUNNING store. Not Dunhams. Not Dick's. Not K-Mart. Not Walmart. Do a google search on specialty running stores.

Quotes from some FAQ's:

Heel striking, which most people do naturally when wearing modern running shoes, is a very "heavy" running motion. If your foot plant makes much noise, then you are landing too heavy. That is a sign that undue pounding and stress is being placed throughout your legs and feet. Landing more toward your midfoot or on your toes (actually the ball of your foot) tends to soften the foot plant. Visualizing the pushing off phase more than the landing phase might also reduce the impact. Running barefoot, assuming your feet are toughened enough to handle it, is also a great way of teaching yourself proper form. The feet will be unable to handle heel striking without the forced cushioning of a shoe. If you have sand, grass, or something similarly soft to practice barefoot on, this is highly advised.

It can never be stressed enough to wear proper running shoes. I shake my head every time someone says they don't understand why their body hurts here or there and then they say they've run in the same shoes for 2,000 miles! Remember, 500. That's the maximum number of miles most shoes are rated for. Do not be fooled by tread life. A better indication would be to look at the sides of the midsole (the foam part between the outsole and the upper). If it is noticeable "wrinkly," it's probably time to switch to a new pair. Old running shoes make great walking shoes, so don't despair.

Another excellent strategy is to rotate several pairs of running shoes at the same time, even if they are the same model. This keeps any particular shoe from causing irratations or wearing excessively in a particular area. You'll have to buy a certain number of shoes based on your mileage anyway, so you might as well have them now and keep your body healthy; the shoes will last just as long either way. Lastly, make sure the shoes fit. Buy from local running stores unless you have no other options. They will provide you the attention needed to find the right fitting shoe.

On a funnier note: I routinely hit upwards of 90 miles per week in the summer. I go through about a pair of shoes every month or so. Trust me, they wear out easily.