PDA

View Full Version : Going 'mag shopping today, real soon( please help!)

Dave
10-06-2001, 07:27 AM
I am going to give my local paintball shop a call today, and if they have what I am looking for(a 68 Classic Powerfeed Hopper Right, hehe) I'm going to go pick her up today!

Here is my goal...I am trying to spend less than $500. I want to get some things for it that I won't have to replace...

I would like to find a good barrel that is either chrome or stainless in color...I have heard some good things about J&Js chromed brass barrels, but I didn't find any for the mag on Pev's website...mybe they will have some in the store. I know everyone says barrels are a personal choice, but I might need some help. I am interested in Dye or J&J and I want it in a stainless or chrome color...any suggestions? It could be anywhere from 14-20 inches...I don't really care cause I don't play pro if you know what I mean:)

I also heard something about an Official Airgun Design's product called a foamie bolt or something...would this be something I would want to get?

Also, I heard the revvy(agitating hoppers?) are best...how much are they average, and should I get one?

I am looking to get CO2 with an Expasnsion chamber...are there any brands that are better than any others?

How many CO2 tanks should I get?

Should I go ahead and buy a repair or parts kit with o-rings and stuff?

How many paintballs should I start out with? 200? 1000?

And one last question...if I do get my setup today and am ready to shoot, is there any definite NO NO's for the automag? Possibly something that the video might not cover? I know some of you have a lot of experience, and I was wondering if there were and little tips to remember when using the mag?

Thanks for any help...I would leave in about 2 hours!

-Dave

a_malfunction
10-06-2001, 08:46 AM
A good set up for a mag if you only have about $500 is:
The mag.... $300 or so, depending on where you buy.
Barrel..... Custom Products, J&J, Lapco are some inexpensive barrels that perform just as good as some barrels that are 2x the price. About $40-$60
You might want an expansion chamber if you run your gun off of CO2. A good ACI 6-stage (or almost any other good exp chamber) will run about $35-$40. You will also need an ASA and some gas lines. You'll spend about $20-$40 on that. And you might need a revvy depending on how fast you shoot. It will cost you about $50-$60. That should cover it.

irbodden
10-06-2001, 08:48 AM
Buy like a hundred balls to shoot, and get 500 or so before you play a game, or if you go to a field buy em there. Skip the bolt, I'd get the gun, barrel, air connections and asa and walk out. :D

DarkPhoenix
10-06-2001, 08:55 AM
The foamie bolts are ok, but sometimes the foamies have a tendency to come off. I would rather recommend the new AGD long nose bolts, these bolts have less blowback than the other bolts.

Loaders, what can I say? There is a mass debate but only one loader that everyone agrees is the best. The H.A.L.O. from Odyssey Paintball Products, is hands down the best hopper on the market, it is also the most expensive. Here is a link to one of two sites that are pre-selling http://www.warpig.com/linkout.cgi?www.nationalpb.com Here is a link to the manufacturer page on the HALO, love the videos, http://www.odysseypaintball.com/ If you do not have the cash for the HALO, I would recommend, at least the 12v Revolution or the Ricochet. When you get a little more cash you could upgrade the revvy's board to a turbo rev board, the results of the warpig ballistics tests tells the tale http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/loaders/lineup/index.shtml I highly recommend taking a good look at the above link, it is very informative. Here is a link to the turbo rev page http://www.wickedairsportz.com/products/turborev.htm The turbo rev is an outstanding product, I have bought it and have nothing but praise for it.

CO2, I highly recommend getting an anti-siphon tube for your CO2 bottle, whichever one you purchase, if you go bottom line, if not, forget the anit-siphon.. I also recommend a Palmer stabilizer, but those are kind of expensive, a good write up concerning the stabilizers are available on this link http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/CATALOG/airsystems.htm As for a expansion chamber, there is an entire slew of them reviewed at this link http://www.pbreview.com/10148/1/ Whatever you choose, choose what is best for you and your budget. I also recommend an on/off for the tank, though it is not extremely important.

The number of CO2 tanks. Choose whatever is most comfortable for your set-up. I would get only one tank, but that is just me. Do you plan on playing long scenario games? Even, then I would only get one.

Repair kits are a must. I highly urge you to get one, you never know just when you might need it, hopefully never, but since you're running CO2, it won't hurt to have it.

I would buy at least a 500 round bag upwards to an entire case of paintballs. This depends entirely on how much you shoot. If there are any paintballs left, store them on an air tight container, I use several rubber maid cereal dispensers, and store in a cool, dry area, I recommend a closet. This keeps the balls fresher and longer lasting.

By the way, welcome to the boards and the world of automags. I hope you have fun. See you on the field....

Deadeye
10-06-2001, 09:11 AM
Howdy Dave,

Here's my 2 cents:

I would like to find a good barrel that is either chrome or stainless in color...
- Go for CP, they're inexpensive and works well. Looks cool too.

I also heard something about an Official Airgun Design's product called a foamie bolt or something...
- IMHO, skip the foamie bolt. Stay stock.

Also, I heard the revvy(agitating hoppers?) are best...how much are they average, and should I get one?
- In order to get full max shooting performance for your Mag, you'll most definately need a Revy, 12V.

I am looking to get CO2 with an Expasnsion chamber...are there any brands that are better than any others?
- Ex Chambers? Try ACI or PMI if costs is a factor.

How many CO2 tanks should I get?
- 1 is more than enough, you can get refills at most fields. Also, since you're goin CO2, get an anti siphon tube installed into your CO2 tank.

Should I go ahead and buy a repair or parts kit with o-rings and stuff?
- Yes, it always pays to have at least 1 spare set of the parts kit.

How many paintballs should I start out with? 200? 1000?
- Matter of preferance, if you wanna put your Mag through it's paces and get a feel for it, I'd suggest a box.;) You could try 200, but you're gonna end up using more...:)

And one last question...if I do get my setup today and am ready to shoot, is there any definite NO NO's for the automag? Possibly
something that the video might not cover?
- Not really, just have fun. And when you get the chance, switch to CA or Nitro. BIG PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE.

Last but not least,

"WELCOME to the Mag Family. Always painting the competition!"

MJS1214
10-06-2001, 09:34 AM
anyone know where i can get an automag classic powerfeed w/ bottom line kit,DYE ss barrel,KAPP foregrip,12vl revy,and AGD flatline for $700.00?(i know a place where i can get a automag classic P/F w/ dte ss and bottom line kit for $370 but not sure about the rest)

FeelTheRT
10-06-2001, 09:43 AM
IMO,I think you should find a used one. You can find a nice 68 AutomaG for less than 350. You can find used RTs for around 400-550. Just my 2 cents...

Mr. -RushY-
10-06-2001, 11:28 AM
Indeed, if you haven't headed to the shop yet, DON'T GO!! I bought a used micromag rt and a 68/3000 nitro tank used for $450 shipped. Not a scratch on my gun, and the nitro tank and rt valve are worth atleast 325 alone. You can find real cheap mags here in the classified section or at a number of other websites.

Websites:
www.automags.org the classified forum
www.pbnation.org semi auto forum

www.paintballdojo.com you have to sign up for this one to view posts, but be sure to check the free sign up thing and not the pay for a membership one

www.pbreview.com Sell/Trade Forums

http://www.completepaintball.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?
s=ccaac88b830130952ec52b06738f8442&forumid=9

http://www.pbubb.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2

or try www.ebay.com and search for automag, minimag or micromag they have a bunch

My gun and tank would've been around 800-850 new and I got it for $450 you could do the same thing and regular Classic Automags have very bad resale value all the more reason to by used.

Thats my LONG .02 cents

zvanut
10-06-2001, 12:10 PM
if Rob is there(the fairfax 1 i think) he will set u up nicely(he knows what he is doin)

Dave
10-06-2001, 03:25 PM
I went there, and RobAGD was there, and he set me up with a nice used 68 'mag, nitro, 18V hopper, and when its all done, my check is declined! He was very nice about it and showed me why: either the check # is too small, or there is a limit on my checks that I didn't know about. I have never ever written a bad check. I think my dad will be able to pick it all up Monday and we will work out the costs in our family. Nooo! No Automag today!!!! I wanted to apologize to Rob cause that whole mess was kinda hard to deal with and I'm sorry.

But Monday....

yay!

I will try to take a picture of it and show everyone, and then, when I am done with the upgrades in time, take another picture, and you wont recognize it! Talk about chrome!

By the way, thanks for all the welcomes guys!

-Dave

Temo Vryce
10-06-2001, 03:40 PM
I don't know if this is covered in the video or not but it's something that I've seen every mag user do. When you are ready to gas up you Mag, ie screw the bottle in... Make sure that you pull and hold the trigger before you add the air. This will save some wear on your sear and bolt. It gets easier with practice. Hope this helps you out.

pumpamatic
10-06-2001, 03:53 PM
Don't unscrew the valve halfs unless there is something majorly wrong, or else you could screw up the valve seat or get it dirty.

InfinatyBPS
10-06-2001, 05:12 PM
I would reccomend Lapco Bigshot 0r CP,
get a 20oz co2 tank or 16 oz and you will be set.
I would reccomend some kind of double trigger frame if u can get it cheap.
Revvy would be good. 9v would be ok for a mag. 12 not needed. Ex chamber... well they are all about the same.

billybob
10-06-2001, 08:37 PM
if u have never used a mag then the first time you do you may have a little shot stroke problem. In time this will go away. It will lead to many ball breaks and barrel cleanings but i will be ok.

: )

RobAGD
10-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Hey Man, no biggie. I am just sorry about the hassel it's putting it through.

I'll have to put the package back together, I think I sold everything but the gun today :) It was hopping untill 9:30 and we closed at 8.

Just have you dad call before he heads out so I can put it all together and he wont have to wait around for it.

The new check system we are using kinda blows, I used it on another customer that I know dosen't write bad checks and has over 10k in the account and it declined them, so it's something with the check service.

Sorry for the problem :(

-Robert

RobAGD
10-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Hey Dave, You dad got the gun and Stuff let me know how things go.

Hehehe he thought 500 rounds would last you a while... I asked if you had trees and some property to shoot on and he said yea.... :) I said less than 2 days.

Oh yea, make sure you get use to the trigger pull before you start trying to shoot real fast... you need to learnm the trigger pull a little.

-Robert