PDA

View Full Version : Deal too good to be true?

rkjunior303
05-06-2004, 06:29 PM
So I want this camera -- normally its $499... BUT, this store has it rebated to $299... Seems fishy to me.... Are yahoo stores guaranteed or protected? I called them to talk to a real person about the process and they said the rebate process takes 8 weeks and you get a cashier's check.. I dunno.. Their 800# sounded like a cell phone..

Anyone wanna give me a lil input on what you think?

http://store.completedjsupply.com/sonydsct1.html

jdev
05-06-2004, 06:56 PM
it looks like a mail in rebate. IE you pay for it first, then mail in the rebate that they send you with the camera. I.E, you wait an additional 4-6 weeks (usually) for the rebate to come in the mail.

rkjunior303
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
it looks like a mail in rebate. IE you pay for it first, then mail in the rebate that they send you with the camera. I.E, you wait an additional 4-6 weeks (usually) for the rebate to come in the mail.

well obviously -- you have to print out the rebate form and then mail it in to them... Then 8 weeks later you get a cashier's check... What I am worried about is after buying the camera for $550 (MSRP was just dropped to $499, mind you) and I send in the rebate -- then don't hear back from them after the 8 weeks...... I just have a funny feeling its going to turn into some nightmare.. Sony defintely isn't offering that type of rebate and generally it's weird for stores to give one on their own -- especially small 'internet stores' like this...

Just seems very odd to me.

jdev
05-06-2004, 07:08 PM
if it seems that shady, contact sony, see if they are an authorized dealer of them, or they just resell refurbished goods. thatd be the best way to go. :)

deathstalker
05-06-2004, 08:24 PM
It's not a manufacturer's rebate; look where you send it!

It's too good to be true, IMO. I'd pass and would rather look for something from a reputable eBay seller.

MadChild
05-08-2004, 11:35 AM
if i were you i would just call them and talk to them about it. make sure you use some form of credit card payment incase it is a scam. i dont see how i could be a fake though....but good luck

Muzikman
05-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Personally, after looking at the page and looking at the detail they went into on their page, I think they are on the up and up. If you are that worried and want to check them out first, give a call to the BBB and see if they have had any claims against them. I do A LOT of online purchases and I can usually sport a shady operation, this does not look to be one.

NOW!!! If you do go ahead and do this and it doesn't turn out right, don't blame me;)