PDA

View Full Version : Need barrel help

Lohman446
05-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Ok, I am not a fan of kits, and I think paintball to barrel match in the real world is overrated unless you are sizing paintballs one by one and there is no way I am going to do that. I am having trouble finding a barrel that suits my wants in my next barrel - currently I am using a 13.5 inch ACI Zero Gravity old school barrel, a 12" CP barrel, or a stock cocker barrel - I am trying to find the one "right" barrel for me. What I would love to get hold of is an old ACI Zero Gravity 10" cocker threaded barrel but I'm not even certain they ever existed.

My requirements:
One piece - I think two piece barrrels are overrated
Cocker threaded
I am looking for one about ten inches
About five inches of that porting
690 or 691 bore
Good self cleaning properties - the ACI cleans itself very very well, I have not found others that do - have tried J&J ceramics and they just are not as good

At this point I see two options:
Stiffi - why do I feel like this is just not "all that". I'm not sure I like the idea of a barrel that light, how do these clean out to those that have them? They seem to be about the only manufacturer that will build a barrel to my specs.
Getting hold of an ACI barrel and custom making it - cutting off some of the back and having it rethreaded.

Snertz
05-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Stiffi is def a good buy, shoots great and cleans itself pretty well after a break. Weight of it is a nice bonus. Try and find someone with one that you can try.

Might want to try and get one of the old one peice DYE Aluminum barrels, those are pretty good too.

Or a Lapco Bigshot..

SpecialBlend2786
05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
j&j ceramics?
Armson barrels are pretty nice also.

pointm@n
05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Check out this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47232&item=3676025234&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/c5/c2/17_1.JPG

SliceNDice in the dealer section and he's selling 10" barrels. I'm going that route myself: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120159

I just sold my 14" stiffi barrel. I loved it because it was light and very quiet as well as being accurate. Only reason I sold it was because it was so long.

1ofkind
05-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Closed Bolt = sell barrels and buy a barrel kit, the bore siezeing is olny important with cockers because that acts as the actual ball detent once the ball is pushed out of the chamber and into the barrel.

Torbo
05-07-2004, 04:23 PM
^^^^agreed. Youre gonna want to be able to match paint to bore nicely. Im gonna suggest a J&J edge kit, or a kaner, or an empire, all very nice, and pretty cheap.

Bugget3000
05-07-2004, 04:35 PM
One of my all time favorite barrel producers: http://www.palmer-pursuit.com

If you have the time to send your marker in they will match hone the barrel to the gun also and you can get them to make it whatever length, porting you want.

RusskiX
05-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Closed Bolt = sell barrels and buy a barrel kit, the bore siezeing is olny important with cockers because that acts as the actual ball detent once the ball is pushed out of the chamber and into the barrel.

But I don't believe he said he is shooting a closed bolt marker, just a cocker threaded one (a la ULE). Personally I always had good luck with DYE aluminums and/or SS depending on weight that you preferred. Only drawback is they were all midbore .688 IIRC. I'm pretty sure ACI made the most common large bore one pieces. Good luck.

Lohman446
05-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Should have clarified that, yes on a closed bolt gun I understand the need to have good bore selection, but I use cocker threads on my mag so its not as important

skife
05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
right now i shoot a dye excel barrel on my cocker
it shoots awsome and it cleans out in like 2 shots.
and this is shooting TC Viper Venom paint.

RusskiX
05-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I also remembered that CP will make a custom bore one piece on request. They made a .700 one piece for me for around $60 shipped. And I also believe that the old Armson pro series were kinda large, but loud and had rifling (some liked the rifling and some didn't).

Jerhew
05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
before i got my cp barrel kit, i had a cp one piece that i loved(except that it was twist lock and i bought a ule body)
i remember the bore size was stamped right on the barrel and they sold different bores....
im unsure if they still do though

Lohman446
05-08-2004, 10:10 PM
before i got my cp barrel kit, i had a cp one piece that i loved(except that it was twist lock and i bought a ule body)
i remember the bore size was stamped right on the barrel and they sold different bores....
im unsure if they still do though

CP makes a .689 and a .693 - one of the barrels i have is a .689 CP barrel 12" - this is an ok barrel but on that mythological search for "teh barrel"

1ofkind
05-09-2004, 07:54 AM
With a mag wouldn't any barrel do? Well anyway when I used to have a mag I had a 10 inch teardrop (smart parts) barrel. Gun shot the balls in perfectly straight lines. It was so straight I didn't mine the dropoff. :cool:

the larch
05-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Actually, Dye does make their Dye ultralites in about 5 different I.D.'s and 4 different colors.
YOu can get them at action village.
I just have a small, med and large bore with a long tip (push bunkers) and a short tip.
Works better than any of the sleeve tip barrel kits IMHO. I've ALWAYS had good luck with dye barrels.

RusskiX
05-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Yes, but his requirement was a ONE PIECE. I don't believe he wanted a step bore two piece. But you are correct, the ultralites are very well performing barrels.

Actually, Dye does make their Dye ultralites in about 5 different I.D.'s and 4 different colors.
YOu can get them at action village.
I just have a small, med and large bore with a long tip (push bunkers) and a short tip.
Works better than any of the sleeve tip barrel kits IMHO. I've ALWAYS had good luck with dye barrels.