PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first bike in the USA... Big Dog Chopper!

manike
05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Here she is...

http://www.indianmotorcycleokc.com/ebay/pics/BigDog/Bikes/bdc04002a.jpg

http://www.indianmotorcycleokc.com/ebay/pics/BigDog/Bikes/bdc04002b.jpg

http://www.indianmotorcycleokc.com/ebay/pics/BigDog/Bikes/bdc04002c.jpg

http://www.indianmotorcycleokc.com/ebay/pics/BigDog/Bikes/bdc04002d.jpg

Should be picking her up from OK some time next week...

Sooo excited! :D

Muzikman
05-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Simon...Great choice...I love Big Dog bikes. I want a pic of you on this beast.

Load SM5
05-07-2004, 04:18 PM
You know, I did'nt think I could hate you more....and then you do this. ;)

Damn nice bike Simon!

Muzikman
05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I just realized, it's not gray...you are breaking your color scheme:)

manike
05-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah but it's black and silver...

1stdeadeye
05-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Congrats! Nice choice of bike! :cool:

manike
05-07-2004, 05:29 PM
So does anyone have any tips or riding a cruiser/chopper?

Having previously only ridden sports bikes I'm a little nervous about riding it back from OK... which I may be doing tomorrow afternoon!

Do you use the rear brake more on a cruiser or is it front brake, like with a sports bike, for the majority of the time?

I'm guessing ride and handling is going to be completely different to what I am used to! :)

1stdeadeye
05-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Very different. More relaxed though! You won't be all gnarled up after an hour's ride like on the crotch rocket's.

As for the brakes, I always use the back one more on cruisers.

I will tell you to prepare to have your arse shaken to pieces! :eek:

Zumina
05-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Boo to choppers, shouda bought a Vmax.
It looks nice though.

Zumina
05-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Very different. More relaxed though! You won't be all gnarled up after an hour's ride like on the crotch rocket's.

As for the brakes, I always use the back one more on cruisers.

I will tell you to prepare to have your arse shaken to pieces! :eek:

huh? The front brake is beefier for a reason and physics dictate that it's more effective by default.

Muzikman
05-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Having grown up with bikes, I will tell you...you will feel it when you get home. In my experiences, it is the complete opposite as to what Deadeye said. On crotch rockets you get down low enough that at highway speeds you are pushed into the bike, not pushed off of it. With the cruiser the wind will want to push you off the back. Hang on! Front break use on a cruiser is acceptable...but it also depends on the side of the disc. Remember, the bike weighs a lot more:)

Also, be safe...it doesn't have the steering geometry of a sports bike. I do have to say, I have never ridden anything with that much rake.

1stdeadeye
05-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Having grown up with bikes, I will tell you...you will feel it when you get home. In my experiences, it is the complete opposite as to what Deadeye said. On crotch rockets you get down low enough that at highway speeds you are pushed into the bike, not pushed off of it. With the cruiser the wind will want to push you off the back. Hang on! Front break use on a cruiser is acceptable...but it also depends on the side of the disc. Remember, the bike weighs a lot more:)

I guess since I am a heftyier guy, Sport bikes have never been too comfortable. After a long ride when I had my Ninja, I was pretty sore. I guess I don't tuck in too well! ;) Riding my Cousin's Harley or even my Triumph, it is more comfortable as you are not so contorted while riding.

As for the disc's you are right on. Look at the pics Simon posted. That front disc is tiny, while the rear disc looks pretty beefy!

Muzikman
05-07-2004, 06:58 PM
That could be. As much as I hate sport bikes, I find them much more comfortable.

1stdeadeye
05-07-2004, 07:00 PM
That could be. As much as I hate sport bikes, I find them much more comfortable.

Okay, I'll admit it, my gut get's in the way. That is why I got rid of the Ninja. Between my belly and the tank bag it was just not comfy. :(

manike
05-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I found my Sports Tourer Interceptor (Honda VTEC VFR 800) to be very comfortable and I wouldn't have worried about a 3 hour ride on it at all.

I'm not that worried about the three hours tomorrow, but my arse is. :D

Not a lot of suspension on this thing although I purposely avoided a rigid frame bike.

I'm having forward control extenders, second seat and sissy bar added so the girlies don't fall off the back. ;) :cool:

cphilip
05-07-2004, 09:15 PM

Having previously only ridden sports bikes I'm a little nervous about riding it back from OK... which I may be doing tomorrow afternoon!

Do you use the rear brake more on a cruiser or is it front brake, like with a sports bike, for the majority of the time?

I'm guessing ride and handling is going to be completely different to what I am used to! :)

No you go for both brakes at the same time. Simultaneously. But when in doubt start front and work the back in. Front = 60% of braking. But the right way is both at the same time. Supposedly

Very nice choice Simon. But really thats hardly a cruiser anymore. Its a Chopper! A cruser on steroids. Its going to handle even differently than an Crusier would. With all that rake. I cruiser is not all that much off a Sports bike more than the sitting postions really. That thing is going to deal with it differently that even a Cruiser would. You might have to do some messing with set up of the bars for you. Of course thats going to be different. With all that rake up front and all you might want to play with that some. Risers and angle of the bars. So have them set it up for you with you sitting on it. They will know pretty much what you should set at from your size and all.... and do that before you hit the road. And by all means do some small local trips so you can go back for a adjustment once if need be.

I have been riding my new Bike about two weeks now. Now its a Cruiser. This week alone I have not riden in a car until tonight! I forgot what it felt like!

I think we going to have to have a AO Bike rally now!!!! :D

Zumina
05-08-2004, 12:48 AM
No you go for both brakes at the same time. Simultaneously. I have been riding my new Bike about two weeks now. Now its a Cruiser. This week alone I have not riden in a car until tonight! I forgot what it felt like!

thought you had a scooter...

nippinout
05-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Vroom!!! Vroom!!!

virus
05-08-2004, 10:37 AM

yup i can see this happening :D

nice lookin scoot there simon.....

also with it raked out like that.... turning... esp at slower speeds.. .will be a lot different then what you were used to on a sport bike....

and after readin all the posts, and not sure by lookin at the pic.... but you said its not a hardtail.... you will thank yourself for that...

now where would this supposive ao bike rally be takin place ;)

edweird
05-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Nice ride simon... cant wait to see it after you dress it up with some Empire bits and peices.

cphilip
05-08-2004, 10:52 AM
thought you had a scooter...

I currently have three "scooters" but they are Motorcycle classification scooters. All 150 and 200cc 2 strokes. And in addition I have this Suzuki Savage 650LS. Which is a cruiser frame style bike.

Scooter is a type of motorcycle. Just like Cruiser or Sport Bike etc is a name to describe a style. Its an industry agreed upon terminology that describes a small wheeled vehicle with a step through leg shield.

However commonly now misused to descibe a Moped class bike as a scooter. Often mistakenly used that way. But not the case at all. In fact a Moped can use a Motorcycle like style or a Scooter like style or even a Bicycle like style. Even the term Moped has been perverted to include any 50cc or less vehicle but now commonly without pedals. Was with pedals. But the distinction is in the motor sizes now. So technicaly a 50cc scooter is not a scooter. Its a Moped without pedals that uses the "style" of a scooter. If you see those pocket bikes they call them? Those according to most states leagal definitions are still Mopeds. Thats legaly now the term in most states. But its really wrong. However scooter is still not recognized as anything but a Motorcycle and if its more than 50cc it must be tagged and titled and must be DOT legal and can indeed be allowed on Highways. Most DMV's consider that to be 150cc or more to be on a Interstate. Many of them do 75 or 80 MPH.

Rather
05-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Simon, you have to tell me when your headed out to Fort on that puppy. I might have to steal a few pictures of it while your there. :D

Muzikman
05-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Simon, you have to tell me when your headed out to Fort on that puppy. I might have to steal <strike>a few pictures of</strike> it while your there. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

punkncat
05-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Is that bike rigid frame or a softail?
I haven't actually seen one of those up close and personal. It appears to be rigid , but they can hide stuff well nowdays.

If it is rigid , just be careful going over bumps and such.Especially at speed.There is no rebound in the suspention so it will literally bounce you off the seat.

Ride it just like you would any other as far as brakes.Just remember that the steering is going to be much slower than you are used to with the sport bikes.
I used to ride a Hurricane , and switched to a Harley. It took some getting used to , but now I like the cruiser even better.

Great looking bike , keep the tires on the road.

Zumina
05-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I currently have three "scooters" but they are Motorcycle classification scooters. All 150 and 200cc 2 strokes. And in addition I have this Suzuki Savage 650LS. Which is a cruiser frame style bike.

Wow, those things must move!

I still think scooters are the motorcycle's ***** cousin.

Rather
05-08-2004, 07:17 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! JASON!!!!!!!!!

you weren't supposed to see my subliminal message. :p :p :p :p :eek: :D

RenagadeOfFunk
05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
...manike...wheres my bike?.... :p

...no i'm serious...i haven't recieved it yet! :mad: :rolleyes:

manike
05-08-2004, 08:36 PM
It's a soft tail with hidden shocks. I wanted some suspension...

Well I just got home with it. Can't believe they let me write a personal check for it then ride out the door.... ;)

It is very different to my previous sports bikes. Still getting used to the rear brake pedal location, feels weird!

Suspension was remarkably good and handling's not bad, although a bit unsteady at slow speeds but aren't all bikes?

The thing that got me was the vibration through the pegs. Oh and for the distance I did the seat was no-where near as comfy as my sports tourer.

After 210miles to get home what do I think?

Glad I got the forward control extenders to make it fit me a bit better. (I also got a sissy bar and rear seat... ;) )

Well I don't intend to ever go over 80mph because the buffeting sucks.

I get a numb bum every 80 miles that needs time out to recover.

I LOVE the engine sound! Oh my God starting it up and playing with the throttle overcomes all my other concerns immediately.

I've never had so many people complement me on a bike before. Everyone else seems to love it!

Oh and it sucks getting caught out in the rain :( now all the shiney chrome is dirty and it looks tough to clean...

In total? I love it and am gonna have much fun in the future on it!