PDA

View Full Version : I love EMO, so who else does?

durtysoufcraka
05-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Saves the Day, Early November, Thursday, Brand New, the Used, Taking Back Sunday, The Beloved, Further Seems Forever, Dashboard Confessional.

emo is amazing and so is screamo.

for those of you who do not know emo is short for emotional. and screamo is screaming emotional. the screaming adds to the emotion portrayed of course.

if you do not know i dont think it'd be hard to find any of these bands and experience emo. i can im you some if you'd like catch me on aim (same sn) or if you'd like to share some good emo that i dont know of. please list bands and im me.

go emo...who needs those haters neway...(im still buying the tshirt cuz that'd be halarious to have thier shirt in small) take that

-durty

Loud Tim
05-07-2004, 05:17 PM
i like the music itself but whats with the wearing girls pants and t-shirts that are like 2 sizes to small.

countchocula54
05-07-2004, 05:19 PM
EMO all the way...emo kid right here...check out these bands...
Matchbook Romance
Count The Stars
Armor For Sleep
NorthStar(not too bad)
Fall Out Boy
i know theres more that i have but i cant remember them...
but the thing i hate are people that bash emo when they dont know what it is...and when they call it gay...they should show me an emo band thats gay...sorry i like music that takes talent to be sung and made

ZSigErik
05-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Well, you guys pretty much listed everything I listen to, but Ive been getting into another band recently, not exactly emo, but I love em.

Funeral for a Friend

My god, "Dressed Casually and Deep in Conversation" is just freakin' great. I recommend to anyone, especially with tastes such as yours.

countchocula54
05-07-2004, 05:56 PM
...whats with the wearing girls pants and t-shirts that are like 2 sizes to small.

not girls pants...i wear tight pants but not girls pants...and the t-shirts...idk but find and rent the movie Detroit Rock City, they wore tight shirts and pants and they listened to KISS and Bay City Rollers back in the late 70's....but the better question is...why do people that listen to rap music wear clothes that are 2 sizes too big for them??...i dont get that one

Chris42050
05-07-2004, 05:59 PM
I would classify guys wearing girls clothes as gay myself. But what do I know.

tony3
05-07-2004, 06:40 PM
TBS new album coming out july 27th can I get a w00t?

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 06:40 PM
why cant people just like music for being music instead of living the music's lifestyle?

oh and to add to the list ;)

yesterdays rising
a wilhelm scream
emery
on watership down
me with out you
underoath
all rights reserved

the list can go on ;)

durtysoufcraka
05-07-2004, 07:11 PM
hot rod circut
coheed and cambria
stars hide fire
midtown

a friend told me of a band named lwl. is that the name of the band or is it like like tbs( just a shortened name)? and has neone heard of them. also does neone listen to texas is the reason i've heard they were good ne input there.

also skate n surf? thats right jersey sucks but the shows are good.
-durty

Ov3rmind
05-07-2004, 08:20 PM
I would classify guys wearing girls clothes as gay myself. But what do I know.
I classify guys who like guys as gay. But what do I know.

I remember back on PBN, there was a huge thread on guys wearing girls' pants. I don't personally, but I could really care less if other guys do. I mean, why should you care? Are you checking the guys out?

gamarada717
05-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Bright Eyes, best emo band ever.

Ov3rmind
05-07-2004, 09:54 PM
I put most Saddle Creek bands under indie rather than emo. I'm also a huge Cursive fan. :D

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 09:54 PM

they can be found on mtv.com lol hmmm not worth my time to check out stupid mtv :mad:

tony3
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
I like emo, but don't live the lifestyle really. Then again, I listen to ska, and death metal also, so I dunno.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
http://www.purevolume.com/foreverDOWN/music
Check that guy out....damn good, lol and the (c)Rap Medley song is hilarious...

Anyone big fans of Fall Out Boy?
http://www.purevolume.com/falloutboy/music

EDIT: BTW http://www.purevolume.com is soooo many kick arse bands, signed and unsigned.

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
I like emo, but don't live the lifestyle really. Then again, I listen to ska, and death metal also, so I dunno.

same here man i have bands from our lady peace to hard shizz like deicide in my cd collection... even some classic and country :eek: but i must say out of my collection at least 40 cds are various punk rock metal emo stuff ... i just hate the people that must live the life style of there music

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
']http://www.purevolume.com/foreverDOWN/music
Check that guy out....damn good, lol and the (c)Rap Medley song is hilarious...

Anyone big fans of Fall Out Boy?
http://www.purevolume.com/falloutboy/music

coffee for the hell of it check out emery if you like emo :) emery - walls amatter of fact ... there on purevolume so dont wory otherwise check out yesterdays rising thats some good stuff

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
lol, yeah I found out about emery a while back on purevolume....they are really good also.

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 10:17 PM
if your looking for something with some good lyrics but has its own unique sound check out mewithoutyou interesting sound it grows on you quick ;)

TecnoRobo
05-07-2004, 10:23 PM
do you mean THE beloved?
or Beloved? because the beloved im thinking of is umm just Beloved

Adding to list- The get up kids, Represent Kansas city! (i hope they havent been added yet because i didn't see em)

some of those bands aren't exactly emo, i'd say borderline.

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 10:25 PM
i would consider the get up kids just punk.. not emo

Mindflux
05-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Nobody Mentioned Boy Sets Fire?

WTF?

Best EMO band ever.

trevorjk
05-07-2004, 11:08 PM
i think the definition of emo has gotten way out of hand... although lots of alright to good to down right crap bands have been posted i think its time everyone does a little catch up on "emo"

http://www.fourfa.com/ read and click some links find out how it started what it means and the different types

TecnoRobo
05-07-2004, 11:34 PM
hmm, i dunno what get up kids you've been listening to but they are certainly not punk.

the only punk sounding song i've heard from them is their first song on the guilt show cd. And its not really punk, its more so pop punk.

I hope you know get up kids inspired alot of todays current "emo" music.

:)

Halliday
05-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Are the videos on mtv.com good examples of "Emo" music? Because the 2 videos I saw there..........wow they were bad and I don't mean good bad I mean bad bad.

Ov3rmind
05-08-2004, 12:12 AM
i think the definition of emo has gotten way out of hand... although lots of alright to good to down right crap bands have been posted i think its time everyone does a little catch up on "emo"

http://www.fourfa.com/ read and click some links find out how it started what it means and the different types
A lot of people in this thread should read that, I even learned some.

Just a few things I would tend to disagree with (hey, what good is music like this when you can't fight over it?):

Under the "styles" section, he lists definitions for both emocore and screamo. He seems to have the two genres confused, however. If he interchanged the genre titles for each section I would agree completely.

"The vocal intensity of emo has been very influential on non-emo styles, as well. It has crept into new-school metallic hardcore quite a bit: Downcast, Struggle, Groundwork (AZ), Converge, Threadbare, Unbroken, Guilt, Botch, Fall Silent, Cable, Time in Malta. The chaos, power, and bleeding vocals of hardcore emo have similarly influenced non-emo ultra-hardcore bands: Jihad, Coalesce, Dillenger Escape Plan, etc.

That bugs me a tad. Converge was one of the pioneers of metalcore and grindcore, definitely not a "newschool" band. I also think he made up the "ultra-hardcore" genre. DEP is simply technical metalcore, and Coalesce was one of the more influential grindcore/metalcore bands of the 90's.

"Another trend has been to explore analog synthesizers and mod/goth/new wave sounds - post-emo style-rock? Das Audience / The Vue, VSS, Slaves, Crimson Curse, etc. Mostly a California thing originally, this has ballooned and is one of the vibrant growing scenes in indie music as I write this. The Faint, The Hives, The White Stripes, Milemarker, and even some mainstream music like The Strokes are reviving late 60s/early 70s rock and roll (Lou Reed and Velvets style, maybe a bit of Rolling Stones) with the emo fashion sense and a cynical underground sneer."

He hit it on the head with the "mod/goth/new wave sounds". Simply put, it's not really emo, just a lot of 70's/80's revivalism.

behemoth
05-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Ok, i read up on fourfa, and i have new respect for emo... :rolleyes:

comon look at this--

-the Emo Romulan look - short, thick, greasy, dyed-black hair with bangs cut straight across the forehead, and cut high over the ears. Someone from Time In Malta recently described to me the San Diego Crimson Curse scene as "Spock Rock."
-actually, any greasy dyed black hair. Bangs in front and spikes in back is very emo too.
-horn-rim glasses, or at least thick black frames.
-bald head, furry face (boys only). Goes especially well with horn-rims.
-heavy slacks, often too tight and short.
-thin, too-small polyester button-ups in dark colors, or threadbare children's size t-shirts with random slogans. Button the collar if you got one.
-clunky black shoes
-scarves
-gas station jackets. This has diffused a lot over the years though, it's no longer exclusive to emo kids. Nowadays, you may want to select a nice corduroy denim jacket.
-also classic outerwear but quickly diffusing to normality: the famous Blue Peacoat
-barrettes on boys
-make-up (male or female)
-too-small cardigans and v-neck sweaters
-argyle
-anorexic thinness. Veganism helps here.

Yeah, i love emo soo much, im going to dress like a girl, and become bulemic

Anti-Flag says it best:

I've been told emo songs are deep, which translates into really weak! All they ever do is cry, did something get caught in their eyes? I just can't understand it all, even I don't always bawl.. boohoohoo.. my girlfriend dumped me and i'm really really hurt... indie sux, hard-line sux, emo sux, you suck! indie sux, hard-line sux, emo sux, you suck! they sux, you suck, they sux, you suck.....

Listen to real music

EsPo
05-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Fire, stop talking... you really do like emo, you just don't like the people who like it.

It's pretty ridiculous that people can form boundaries around what kind of music you are allowed to like now... I like Anti Flag as well as Saves the Day.
I used to like Anti Flag alot more, I thought they were all about peace/unity etc., then I read this. Bright Eyes, At The Drive In (I prefer not to call them emo at all, but some think otherwise), Death Cab, Mewithoutyou, From Autumn To Ashes (pre new album, their older Sin, Sorrow, and Sadness is amazing), Piebald, Reggie and the Full Effect, Saves the Day, The Get Up Kids, The Anniversary, The Postal Service.

If you are a fan of At the Drive In at all, I HIGHLY suggest checking out The Mars Volta. They've been my number one for a long arse time now, not emo though.

dwab3000
05-08-2004, 09:46 AM
i dont like the music but i have no problem with the people who listen to it...it just sorta ANNOYS ME..

i also get told all these punk bands that i like (i like most genres except emo and country) are classified now under emo...that annoyed me ....

i just dont know why people listen to music that depresses them...i mean i listen to sad songs...but they arent all sad...

thats just my opinion

countchocula54
05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
hey fire i remember a certain some one telling me to stay out of their thread about how emo sucks because i was bashing your shirts...some ones a hypocrite!

trevorjk
05-08-2004, 10:36 AM
now adays most music under the label emo isnt even really emo... they just took the tag emo as its the cool thing to do now adays. and even if it truly is an emo band there not all sad and suicidal.

but yeah just mic up your music dont get lazy and listen to one type. like somedays im all emo somedays im RAWR metal somedays im hehe pop punk somedays im with my parents and yeehaw country its what ever is sounding good at the moment that i listen to

tony3
05-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Anti-Flag says it best:
Listen to real music

As opposed to fake music? It's funny, emo bands whine about girls, and Antiflag whines about politics. I like some anti-flag stuff, they talk about peace in some of their songs which is cool, but most of it is complaining about the government. Anti-flag just hooks in suckers like you with their anarchy propoganda.

MadChild
05-08-2004, 11:12 AM
heey i was emo yesterday afternoon....i went to my friends house and wore her jeans and one of her t-shirts. the jeans were really comfortable but i would never wear them out in public, they like stuck to my skin lol. i dont listen to emo music.i listen to underground hip-hop, rock + roll, and reggae. i dont wear baggy clothes lol.

behemoth
05-08-2004, 12:45 PM
As opposed to fake music? It's funny, emo bands whine about girls, and Antiflag whines about politics. I like some anti-flag stuff, they talk about peace in some of their songs which is cool, but most of it is complaining about the government. Anti-flag just hooks in suckers like you with their anarchy propoganda.

Yes, anti-flag does whine about politics, thats why i dont listen to them ALOT, but that song does tell the truth, emo sucks.

behemoth
05-08-2004, 12:48 PM
hey fire i remember a certain some one telling me to stay out of their thread about how emo sucks because i was bashing your shirts...some ones a hypocrite!

No. i wanted to see if anyone wanted a shirt, not a thread debating if ya like emo or not, this is not a post about a yes or no answer, this is just talking about emo in general.

tony3
05-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Ok, fire, please guide me to this real music you are talking about! :rolleyes:

Kai
05-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm ashamed to admit it...

I like Cursive.

Other than that, I don't care much for emo.

behemoth
05-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Real Music ---

Rancid
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Casualties
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Lars Freidriksen and the Bastards
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Aerosmith

Just to name a few

Ov3rmind
05-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm ashamed to admit it...

I like Cursive.

Other than that, I don't care much for emo.
I would really classify Cursive as indie. I can also safely say that Ugly Organ was the best CD released last year.

FiRe, Rancid is terrible, even before they were huge. I'm also pretty sure the emo "look" part on the site was meant more as a joke. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

EsPo
05-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Music = opinion, therefore there is no good or bad music. I could make a whole CD myself, having musical talent in only the field of drums, and I'm positive someone on earth would like it. Even if YOU think it's crap other people think it's amazing. Having said that, please leave us to discuss emo without ridicule.

trevorjk
05-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Real Music ---

Rancid
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Casualties
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Aerosmith

Just to name a few

hmm maybe if you didnt listen to mainstream music as much you would see that not all emo is crap ;)

Konigballer
05-08-2004, 02:47 PM
i hate emo, but i think i hate emo guys who live/look the "emo lifestyle" the most. Music aside, "emo guys" have to be the whiniest, most passive agressive bunch of losers I've ever had contact with. One of my roomates was one and him and his fellow emo bandmates hung around our apartment for two years....... :(

Theirs nothing wrong with being an emotional guy, or having troubles with women, we've all been there. But styling yourself and your life outlook on a musical genre or your favorite bands is just the heights of pathetic. I will quote myself from a past thread about my disgust for "punks" because it equally applies to emo kids:

"I dont like people who "have no personality of [their] own so [they] have to wear the banner of whatever social scene [they] frantically latch on to"

This goes for people who latch onto any musical genre and completely imulate it, be it hip hop, country, techno, death metal, whatever, find an identity losers.

However, all that aside, emo produces a certain kind of guy fan which is a weirdly hybrid mix of whiny, girly, self loathing, self obsessed, passive agressive, dirty, and pretencious individuals which culminate in a real low point for the american male. Lifes just sooo painfull for these guys(sarcasm much). Just think about how whiny these often well provided for suburban kids would be if they grew up in the depression era, yikes. Lifes got to be pretty good in other departements if you've got the time to cry about your ex-girlfriends with your other greasy haired friends. Just wait till your parents quit paying the bills :)

TecnoRobo
05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
i wouldnt really say the way you dress is the way you will act if thats what your saying. Find your own identity... what do you wear? Brown shorts and a blue t-shirt?

Anyone can dress as they so please. I can see where you are coming from though.

I guess if you act all whiney and dumb though because of the clothes you wear thats stupid, but usally people don't act like that because they are wearing tight pants and a small shirt.

The greasy hair deal is just another thing though. Why people do it, i dunno, but it is true that its healthier for you hair anyway than using shampoo every day.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
05-08-2004, 03:58 PM
I agree with you in some respects Konigballer, and that is anyone who defines themselves by one thing is rather stupid. But honestly very few people are the stereotype that you described. And I will give you that alot of emo music is whiny, and about girls, but alot of it isn't, or if it is, it is not I got dumped I'm going to kill myself.

Anyway, Cursive is an amazing band, I'm not sure if I like the better with Connor or Post-Connor.

Murder by Death, also has an interesting sound

Thursday is good, and has masterful lyrics

My chemical romance is catchy almost like pop-screamo

GaryWV
05-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Anyone ever heard Justin Sane's solo stuff (Anti-Flag singer) sounds like some emo to me. Anti-Flag = hypocrites

EsPo
05-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Anyone ever heard Justin Sane's solo stuff (Anti-Flag singer) sounds like some emo to me. Anti-Flag = hypocrites
Emo is more about lyrics, not sound.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Real Music ---

Rancid
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Casualties
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Aerosmith

Just to name a few

Well because you listen to this music you must be a druggy anarchist street punk. :rolleyes:

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
05-08-2004, 06:01 PM
hey guys....how about you go piss on a different thread...I'm tired to seeing emo sucks threads. Get a life and stop argueing about punk songs with emotional lyrics...your music isn't any better or worse :rolleyes:

obsolete898
05-08-2004, 06:35 PM
If I hear a band then it's already to mainstream for me. :rolleyes:

fuzzynutzipper
05-08-2004, 06:49 PM
i listen to some emo... but of course I listen to some of everything. Well, everything that isn't on the radio... some bands I listen to:

In Flames
Boy Hits Car
Taking Back Sunday
Dashboard Confessional
Beauty To Ashes
End This Day
Poison the Well
Thrice
From Autumn to Ashes
Thursday
Alkaline Trio
some of The Ataris
some AFI
Shadows Fall
and of course... Reel Big Fish!
and so many more that I can't remember off the top of my head

robertjuric
05-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't want to make anyone mad, so I'm just going to state my opinion. I agree w/ FiRe, I don't like emo either. It is all depressing whinning music.

All the emo kids at my school act like the world is out to try to screw them, like they're the only ones with problems. I've got problems to, but I don't cry about it or whine or blame people. I suck it up and move on with life. I can't really judge though, I guess that's just how I was raised. "Suck it up son", "There's nothing wrong with you", "Oh he'll be alright". I used to think I hated my dad b/c he was so mean and strict and tough, but now I realize what he was trying to show me. That life is a b*, get over it.

I think Dennis Leary said it best: "Life sucks. Get a f'in helmet, okay?"