PDA

View Full Version : is it wise to buy a gun that is out of production?

sitting_duck
05-07-2004, 06:19 PM
so what do you guys think? is it wise to buy a marker that is no longer produced? with agd no longer producing the emag and the loss of the excalibur and viking, is it possible that they will go the way of the tribal? not to offend any tribal owners but from what i gather, it is extremely difficult to find parts for them as well as locate a qualified tech if they need to be serviced.
now i know that both the AKA guns and the emag are built to be rather durable, but do you think there will come a time when parts for them are no longer produced (i mean in the near future, not 10 years from now)?
the reason i ask is i have the opportunity to buy a brand spanking new loaded 04 viking. i have wanted one of these for a long while now and this may be my last chance to get my dirty paws on one. should i go for it or not?
95% of me is chomping at the bit to get one, while in the back of my mind i am worried that in a year or two i'll have nothing more than an expensive paper weight.

Thermus
05-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Why not? The marker just went out, and there will be poeple around that have them until they are outdated, which won't be soon. THey have high resale still, and porbably will until they are obsolete. They are great markers, and if they fit your style, then there is no reason to turn on down.

joez
05-07-2004, 06:45 PM
the custom guys always step up when parts are no longer produced. About the only part you cannot buy for a tribal is a new body or orriginal replacement grip frame. There are several places that sell only tribal parts/upgrades. And tribals didnt exactly have an aftermarket when they were being produced.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another marker that is out of production. Especially a Viking/Excal or another E-mag. Just take the time to learn the marker and you will never need to have it serviced by a tech. If you have the opportunity, dont let it slip away. The AKA guns will always hold a high resale value, they may possibly even go up now that they are not made anymore. Just go for it, and enjoy it as long as you can.

Steelrat
05-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Its not excatly an exact comparison. The tribal guy literally ran away, and the company went bye-bye. AKA and AGD are still very much around, and continue to support their products.

Loud Tim
05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
after reading this i had to pull my tribal out of my gear bag and play with it.

sitting_duck
05-07-2004, 07:11 PM
thanks guys. i think i just needed a kick in the right direction. :D

moufo48
05-07-2004, 07:19 PM
you might have made your mind up but go ahead i love my viking

sitting_duck
05-07-2004, 07:38 PM
i have. i'm getting the viking. :D

jayloo
05-07-2004, 07:57 PM
My xmag arrives any day now. NUff said :)

joez
05-07-2004, 10:08 PM
i have. i'm getting the viking. :D

You made the right choise.

Xtraboy
05-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Aye, tribal's are dead but they're still alive and kickin!

We just had a guy finish up some work on a custom LPRC (thats a low pressure reg, and a LPC!) that is soon going into production for everyone to grab...

We're finally having guys figure out how to mount any frame you want on the gun... Like a space frame, or a bushy frame, OTB frame... What ever!

They're still being fully serviced and worked on too, i just had mine sent in for a tune up and what not..

By all means, get the vike!

imstoiched!
05-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Uhmm, Yes!
A K A V i k i n g (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136765) I just got last Fri. This thing is built like a tank compared to my Timmy which feels lighter and less substantial. I gotta love the low maintenance aspect of this one.

sitting_duck
05-08-2004, 01:14 PM
well, i just ordered it.

04 black viking
eyes/covers
jmj blade trigger
bp no-rider

it'll be at least a month (probably two) untill I get it. till then i'll have my cocker and matrix (should be here next week) to play around with. :D

funkmunky56
05-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I take it someone's never heard of the "Rainmaker Owners Group"... :-D --Funk

imstoiched!
05-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Good decision but why that long? Are you getting some fancy milling or anno job?

Gotta have the eyes when you got something that shoots this fast. I played today with my 2K3 and the only 1 ball brak I had was because of that crappy Blaze leftover from last year I had.

sitting_duck
05-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Good decision but why that long? Are you getting some fancy milling or anno job?

Gotta have the eyes when you got something that shoots this fast. I played today with my 2K3 and the only 1 ball brak I had was because of that crappy Blaze leftover from last year I had.

that seems to be the average i've noticed while lurking around in various forums. however, when i ordered it i was told that i should recieve it by the end of this month. not that i don't trust the company, its just that i would rather expect the worst and be pleasantly supprised. ;)

imstoiched!
05-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Well let me be the first to welcome you to the Viking world. Horned hat, shield and sword not requiered! ;) There seem to be a lot of AKA owners in his forum too. Also visit the AKA forum at pbnation.com. I'm Laserjock over there.

Post pics when you get it too.

sitting_duck
05-09-2004, 12:56 AM
will do. :D

i've actually been lurking around the aka forums for a while now, learning as much as i can.