PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here in MENSA?

PissedGodzilla
05-07-2004, 10:47 PM
i was wondering if anyone in MENSA (top 2% IQ) would want to start a sig.

BTW if you never heard of MENSA, here....
MENSA (http://www.mensa.org)

mcveighr
05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
I am in mensa.

Glickman
05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
i doubt there are many mensa's here, but im sure alot of people have over 150 iq here, some of the stuff that comes up is just crazy. last time i checked, i was 158 (im 15).

Mango
05-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Believe it or not, I was not far off but didnt make the cut. I know MantisMag could easily though.

mcveighr
05-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Glickman, how many times have you checked? The test isn't exactly cheap.

Rooster
05-08-2004, 06:54 AM
I took one of the trial tests and missed by two questions. Of course I took a test that was supposed to last an hour in fifteen minutes while I was watching TV. Might have thrown the results a little.

At any rate, IQ is a poor judge of intelligence. Experience is far superior to intelligence anyways.

RRfireblade
05-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Experience is far superior to intelligence anyways.

I don't agree with that..........at all. ;)

I'll take intelligent and newb over old and incompetent any day of the week. :D

Rooster
05-08-2004, 07:51 AM
I didn't say incompetent, I said experience is superior to intelligence. Take your 160 IQ to the next job opening for a CEO and go up against a guy with an IQ of 80 and 30 years of good experience. You lose.

shartley
05-08-2004, 08:05 AM
I didn't say incompetent, I said experience is superior to intelligence. Take your 160 IQ to the next job opening for a CEO and go up against a guy with an IQ of 80 and 30 years of good experience. You lose.
And to add to that… it is a common misconception that IQ makes someone “good” at something. This could not be farther from the truth. I know far too many intelligent folks that have NO common sense, no real physical abilities, etc. And when was the last time you saw a football team that boasted of having high IQs? ;)

EQ is a much more affective indicator of how “smart” and “capable” a person is to do any given activity.

In my opinion, IQ alone is as useful (or should I say NOT useful) to determine someone’s worth and abilities as is their height, how much they can lift, their age, or any other factor taken by itself. It is the combination of many factors that determine the true measure of an individual, not one alone.

With that said, being “intelligent” and being “smart” are not the same thing. And sorry, I will take “smart” any day over “intelligent”. But ideally you want BOTH.

dwab3000
05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
i could be in mensa...in 6th grade i was in the very top vocab class, math, reading, such on...

i was in 10th grade math...4yrs before i was in 10th grade

and i was in the gifted and talented program...and excelled in that....

i was a very smart person...but i acted like an idiot just to seem normal...oh yeah...and i had i bad attitude (i would of been uped to 8th if i didnt get suspended 3 times :D )

PissedGodzilla
05-08-2004, 10:00 AM
dwab, there are cetain criteria on how you qualify for MENSA, check it on their website, you might be eligible... It's a really cool group, it's fun!

I got in because I scored a combined total of 2030 on my GRE exams to get in for my master's degree. If someone is really good at standardized testing, it's pretty easy to get in... i suggest people try, it is fun to at least take the IQ test anyway. :)

dwab3000
05-08-2004, 10:11 AM
ive been clickin around all day...i may see about mensa here

hmm

CaptaiN_JacK
05-08-2004, 12:17 PM
dwab, just because you were in honors classes doesnt mean youre smart enough to be in mensa! american classes are so easy these days, almost everybody is in a higher reading or math level, because the stuff is so easy. i also agree that IQ is a bad indicator of intelligence. standerdized tests as a whole are bad indicators of itelligence. someone who is extremely smart, but isnt good at taking tests could do bad on say the SAT's, but someone who is not that smart, but good at taking tests could do great.

sps16
05-08-2004, 01:27 PM
I think a better way to describe someone as intelligent is to say how well they survive in their environment. For example, a drug dealer in the heart of the ghetto, is very "intelligent" because he survives extremely well in such a harsh environment. Just because you do well on a test doesnt mean your intelligent, it means your smart, it means you can retain information well. Really that score on a test means nothing when you don't know how to keep yourself warm if your lost in the woods or what to do when your held at gun point.

dwab3000
05-08-2004, 01:41 PM
capt jack...that was the 70s and 80s i was in those classes..when it was hard to get in those classes

Miscue
05-08-2004, 02:32 PM
And to add to that… it is a common misconception that IQ makes someone “good” at something. This could not be farther from the truth. I know far too many intelligent folks that have NO common sense, no real physical abilities, etc. And when was the last time you saw a football team that boasted of having high IQs? ;)

EQ is a much more affective indicator of how “smart” and “capable” a person is to do any given activity.

In my opinion, IQ alone is as useful (or should I say NOT useful) to determine someone’s worth and abilities as is their height, how much they can lift, their age, or any other factor taken by itself. It is the combination of many factors that determine the true measure of an individual, not one alone.

With that said, being “intelligent” and being “smart” are not the same thing. And sorry, I will take “smart” any day over “intelligent”. But ideally you want BOTH.

I agree. IQ is a scale that measures what? I know what it is supposed to measure, but does it? It may measure one aspect of it, one of many. It by far does not do a thorough job of measuring the capabilities of a person. Intelligence is one of those qualities that radiates from a person. You can't assign a number to it.

Automaggin2
05-08-2004, 03:29 PM
i took an IQ test twice. I got a 148 and a 152. im not in mensa

RRfireblade
05-08-2004, 08:41 PM

I still disagree and your point is not valid.

Experience does not prove intelligence or competency or the ability to do the job based on that alone.Nor did I say a high IQ would guarantee you a higher consideration based on that alone.

That 80 IQ applicant is still going to need one heck of a track record over those last 30 years to get any real job as a CEO and beat out any other better educated applicants that may have less experience. ;)

What I did say,even though as a light hearted statement,was that I would choose higher intelligence over longer experience with all other things being equal........and have done so in the past.

mcveighr
05-08-2004, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't really say it measures intelligence. It probably measures common sense and your ability to learn better.

Glickman
05-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Glickman, how many times have you checked? The test isn't exactly cheap.

only offically once, other than that, i think ive done a middle school and high school thing

MattPaintballer
05-08-2004, 10:28 PM
I go to elementary school, and I'm in G.A.T.E. Both my regular teacher and my G.A.T.E. teacher think I am smart enough to be in Mensa... how do I apply/where do I find the test?

Brak
05-08-2004, 10:41 PM
i am the president of MENSA

mcveighr
05-08-2004, 10:55 PM
It has to be administered to you by a qualified person, look on the site for info.

You have to pay too.

PyRo
05-09-2004, 12:26 AM
I got a 90 on some online IQ test :)

spantol
05-09-2004, 12:40 AM
To be fair, the guy with the IQ of 80 isn't going to pick up all that much during those 30 years. Mr. 160 has the potential to run circles around him.

spantol
05-09-2004, 12:41 AM
I think this is part of the screening process. If you're smart enough to be in Mensa, you ought to be able to figure out how to apply. :)

I go to elementary school, and I'm in G.A.T.E. Both my regular teacher and my G.A.T.E. teacher think I am smart enough to be in Mensa... how do I apply/where do I find the test?

SanDiegoMag
05-09-2004, 02:24 AM
I should be in mensa. I have high IQ (around 155). My aunt was the president of the local chapter at one time. It saddens people when they hear my GPA though... (School is too repetitive for me) If I were in mensa, I would actually learn something. (About the only thing left to learn in school is spelling and higher math)

JonDaAzn
05-09-2004, 02:33 AM
I scored 136 on a IQ test for teenagers (I think 13 was the target age) when i was 5, around 15 points higher than my older brother, been planning to retake the test, but don't have the time/money, high IQ, low motivation

SanDiegoMag
05-09-2004, 02:52 AM
All the really smart people I know have little motivation. Like myself, they have low GPAs. The thing is that school and the subjects they teach are stupid and irrelivant to me. I am going to be a musician, and yet the school has taught me nothing about that either. The only good things about high school are the social aspects, sports and girls. Otherwise, it is a waste of my time.

Muzikman
05-09-2004, 10:04 AM
I still disagree and your point is not valid.

Experience does not prove intelligence or competency or the ability to do the job based on that alone.Nor did I say a high IQ would guarantee you a higher consideration based on that alone.

That 80 IQ applicant is still going to need one heck of a track record over those last 30 years to get any real job as a CEO and beat out any other better educated applicants that may have less experience. ;)

What I did say,even though as a light hearted statement,was that I would choose higher intelligence over longer experience with all other things being equal........and have done so in the past.

Having spent the last 7 years in the computer industry I will tell you, I will take an experianced person over a "Smart" one any day. There are a lot of reason, but the main one being that no matter how smart you are the person who has the experiance has usually seen it before.

Pyrate Jim
05-09-2004, 11:26 AM
I was in mensa for years.
Then I grew up, and realised just what mensa was truly about.

Little more than a self aggrandizing, holier-than-thou, mutual admiration society.
Try reading C.M.Cornbluths' short story "The Marching Morons", it's rather prophetic about the future of intellectuals.

JonDaAzn
05-09-2004, 04:35 PM
The only good things about high school are the social aspects, sports, girls, girls, girls, girls, girls, girls, girls, girls, and girls.

exactly! :D you said it!

ocelot213
05-09-2004, 06:34 PM
i beg to differ....there is a no way a legally certifid 'tard would ever become ceo of a corp. because he'd never get those 30 years of exp. 85=legally retarded.

Albinonewt
05-09-2004, 07:38 PM
My wife is in Mensa.

I forgot to fill out all the stuff for it.

Brophog
05-09-2004, 08:19 PM
First off, some of you know this and maybe some of you forgot it. IQ is a quotient, with the denominator being your age. Therefore, for some of you arguing intelligence vs experience, it can be very hard to relate those two without the two subjects being very close in age, and thereby more likely to be close in experience.

Secondly, like all standardized tests, it is possible to "learn" how to succeed at an IQ test. The tests are nothing more than comparisons and patterns coupled with some math skills. It is possible to learn common sequences and patterns, particularly the myriad of questions involving shape and/or color.

Thirdly, IQ is a deviation based on the perceived average intelligence. For this reason, it is no accurate to say that you have a 140 IQ without knowing which test you took, at which time, as the number is based partly on the deviation from average for that specific test. It would be like saying you can run -1.2 seconds in the 100 meter dash. For us to approximate how fast that is, we obviously need to know things like average speed of the participants, track conditions, weather, etc.

I must agree with Shartley that base intelligence quotient is really just a number. While there are offensive lineman who deadlift 500 pounds who get pushed around by smaller defensive lineman, there are intellects with high IQ's that lack the ability to properly utilize their base intelligence.

It is my opinion that man still does not know enough about the human brain to adequately account for intelligence and therefore sufficiently record intelligence into a calculable proximity.

Glickman
05-09-2004, 08:35 PM
if u think about it 80 is kinda on the, um, insensate side. but just because u got a 135 when ur in 5th grade, dont forget, thats comparing to other 5th graders, while as u get older, ur iq may not get higher, as ur just comparing urself to the same age group you are.

mine has gone from 135 to 158 tho... yet im like barely honor roll. OO theres a SQURREL!!!

heh, but anyway i think that alot of the times, "smart" people do bad because they get bored and arent challenged.

lord1234
05-09-2004, 09:04 PM
mmmm
i am a member of Omega....but pirate jim is right...self aggrandizing...sell patting bs.