PDA

View Full Version : Run for your lives... THE CICADAS ARE COMING!!!

BobTheCow
05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Anybody else in the DC area, or anywhere else that's supposed to get tormented, getting sick of all the hype?? I for one want to wake up one morning, look out my window, and see my front yard simply writhing. For a day, it better be freaking awesome.

...and then they should all go away... because they're annoying as crap...

Cryer
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
We got these little black bettles here.. I guess its mating season or something, but you always see like 2 or 3 of them stuck together in a flying orgy. I kill as many as I can. Especially if there are more than 4 entangled together... :)

Skoad
05-12-2004, 02:17 PM
We had an invasion of those a few years back. They may be neat for 5 minutes but a few weeks you'll get sick of the noise. It'll drive you insane

They also leave those little shell skin things hanging on everything

Cryer
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Do they really cover everything? Cause you could have some wicked fun with a lighter and hairspray...

BobTheCow
05-12-2004, 02:26 PM
It's supposed to be pretty damn bad... this year is "brood X," it's the 17-year one... these buggers have actually been in the ground sucking on tree roots for 17 years... anyway this is the hugest brood, they're estimating that in wooded areas there could be as many as 1.2 million cicadas <i>per acre</i>... whoa... :eek:

deathstalker
05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
The last summer of cicadas we had here was the best summer I had. I was working at a golf course so of course, there were millions of the things. We used to play cicada golf, cicada baseball, cicada jousting, cicada shoots with BB guns, etc.

Damn, 13 years went by fast.

Cryer
05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
LOL! Cicada golf:p

Sparq
05-12-2004, 02:44 PM
That is why there is napalm.

Oh_Davey
05-12-2004, 02:50 PM
There was a swarm type thing of them around where i live a couple years ago, there was quite a few but not that bad. Is that big thing just around D.C or is it everywhere... I wanna try a few holes of cicada golf

BobTheCow
05-12-2004, 02:54 PM
There are definitely other parts of the country that get them; I think that right now for this season/"brood" it's gonna be worst around DC though.

magking1971
05-12-2004, 03:40 PM
I was going to say that I am glad we dont have these bugs but after reading this thread I kinda wish we did. :(

MadChild
05-13-2004, 12:07 PM
i live in charlotte, NC and their supposed to be all over the place here. its soo random cuz millions of them live in the ground for 17 years and then come up out of the ground to breed and then they just die. so we'll have milllions of dead bugs all over the ground lol.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
05-13-2004, 04:30 PM
they're comming...ahhhhh

http://www.usi.edu/science/biology/TwinSwamps/jpeg%20pix/cicada.jpg

Thordic
05-13-2004, 04:37 PM
We get three batches of Cicadas this year, which is why they are expecting so many.

We get the supposedly huge 17-year batch.

We get the normal annuals.

And then there is another batch, like a 5-year one, or something like that, as well.

The combination of all three in the same year will make all the birds overweight.

Skoad
05-13-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm telling you, every woodland creature including birds will flee the state due to the deafening loud horrible horrible sound all day.

KRAKMT
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
No bugs here! but it is spitting snow. That would put a damper on there mating.Ha

graycie
05-14-2004, 10:28 AM
What is the purpose of the cicadas? do they eat plants, other bugs, just make noise? the last huge batch i remember was when i was in 4th grade, but since then there have only been a couple every summer. last summer while doing some yard clean up i unearthed a dormant one. it was all yellowy-white larvae like but had a fully developed body.

RobAGD
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Bug Pics (http://www.robagd.com/bugs/)

Last night run of bugs. I counted over 100 shells on the tree this morring.

-Robert

1stdeadeye
05-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Cicadas are Good Eats! :eek:

i_baked_cookies
05-14-2004, 02:36 PM
the cincinnati area is seeing the first signs... ive seen one so far though. there have been reports of a batch of 12 or sumthin like that. ive heard pretty crazy stories on how you have to shovel them and all that stuff- pretty sick considering i hate those stupid bugs.

favorite quote pertaining to cicadas; "when are the bugs coming?"

kauai_paintball
05-14-2004, 05:56 PM
One word. Boxcelder beetles. wait thats two word......

WickeDKlowN
05-14-2004, 09:10 PM
There's some type of beetle here that comes once or twice a year and they're brown or black(males and frmales mabey?). But they'll be flying then just drop out of the air dead, or fly into a wall and die. They have to be the stupidist things I've ever seen.And they're annoying as sheet cause they get all over the deck and all in the garage and stuff.

SGTKennedy
05-15-2004, 02:01 AM
boxelders rock. we used to sweep em off the walls when i was a little guy. but now i live on a boat, and they dont seem to like the river...