PDA

View Full Version : I invented a Paintball Marker!

pekingduck04
05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
My unrelenting bordome and monstrous amount of free time has allowed me to bask in my computer screen and absorb loads of information. Paintball is my passion! ... architecture is my life!(well, training-to-be)

Newho, my infatuation with creating things ended up with me designing a new paint gun! By tearing apart friend's guns when they are not looking I've been able to become very familiar with the engineering of these little things... enough that i have made many sketches and cad renderings of my creation.

Now I begin... my perilous journey to create the best paintball marker in the world. No, in the universe! But there lies a problem...
How the heck do i build the little bugger?
I am not a mechanic, airsmith, OR a Tom Kaye II... I am only a boy with a massive imagination and keen observation.

Would I share with you fellows?? Then I would be afraid of thievery! What if someone with the means and the know-how stole my work and expoited for his/her/its gain!? How would I POSSIBLY have one built without theft!!? Please let me know!

I will share a tidbit of information with you.. but if I see this in a new marker months from now I will have your heads! OR right testicles!

It resets using blowback
It has NO bolt
It has an accessable breech similar to Angels

Help me and I shall frolick about my bedroom in appreciation of your generosity!!

~Scott

FalconGuy016
05-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Thats awesome, but what do you want us to do ? (assuming you want us to do something?)

Ah, nm, I get it. Keep in mind the expense you will have to invest if you do choose to build your marker

Duck Hunt
05-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, I know you're probably need a CNC machine, if you don't want it stamped metal like tippmanns. Aren't Xmags milled on a 4 axis CNC?

As for going about making it, you can contact people who DO make markers or marker bodies and contract them into making a prototype, therefore you could sign a non-disclosure agreement so you won't have too worry about theivery =)

Good luck my friend!

Sean

jwalker87
05-12-2004, 08:44 PM
I would apply for a patent. After you get that, approach an existing paintball company with your idea and see if they want to buy the rights from you. That's what I'd do.

WenULiVeUdiE
05-12-2004, 09:15 PM
I am in the same situation. I have a great idea for a new gun and barrel. But only 2 people know about my designs. All I can recomend is get a patent, get a prototype and advertise. Sell a few then go to companies. This will show them that your gun will be succesful and people will buy it. Company's like ideas tha will succeed, not fail.

pekingduck04
05-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Thank you for your advice!
jwalker your idea seems to me the most practical, and is perhaps the most intelligent for someone in my position.

Duck hunt I will have to look into this non-disclosure agreement; I am very interested!

Ah patents take so very long.. just look at the hAir trigger. I am eighteen of age, therefore I am ambitious, optimistic, but tremendously impatient! I sincerely hope the design itself will overshadow my inexperience and lack of resources.

WenUlive best of luck to you.. may we both succeed and achieve our goals! Then my idea will beat yours to a bloody pulp!! scram! ;)

~Scott

rx2
05-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Whilst you can find lots of information online, you would also do well to contact a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing. Hopefully you will be able to find one that will consult with you for cheap. If you are lucky, you may have connections that you just aren't aware of.

Of course, you should definately get all of your information as together as possible, in the meantime. This includes all sorts of sketches, diagrams, and written out explainations. And, while it doesn't necessarily hold up on its own, it can actually help to mail all of your information to yourself, and leaving the envelope sealed once you get it back post-marked with a date.

I know someone who went through the patent process, and you should expect to spend many a night working into the wee hours, even on the pre-patent applications.

Glickman
05-12-2004, 10:43 PM
"It resets using blowback
It has NO bolt
It has an accessable breech similar to Angels "

look around first, that sounds like either an alien (alienpb.com)

or an epic.

(http://www.icepaintball.com/products.htm)

one problem is that the prototype for most guns costs 2-2.5 times more than the end result, as will the following prototypes. so if your looking to put it into production, you should make sure you know what your getting into.

i could be wrong, but isnt blowback and boltless impossible?

pekingduck04
05-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Ah mR Glick you are quite mistaken on many counts. :eek:

Not to mention, dear sir, that you'v accidentally pointed yourself as a hypocrit! You notioned that the epic is blowback, boltless, AND swing open breech (which, by the way, only the second is true) and then proceeded to say that blowback and boltless cannot go together.

Thank you, though, for introducing me to this trap-door design!

Ah, money can always be worked out. :D

~Scott

RtDaNiMaL
05-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey Scott,
sounds nice... if u need some one to mill you a body let me know, some friends and me make excelent things and his dad has a masters degree in machinery, so he can mill anything.

vf-xx
05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm a Senior in Mechanical Engineering at Texas Tech. I'll happily sign a non-disclosure agreement, and if it's feasable I'll proto it in our machine shop here.

CaptainChops
05-13-2004, 12:00 AM
On the Tippmann forums, this post would have been a 12 year old talking about rigging a rubber band gun to shoot paint...

On PBN, this would have been a massive flame-fest...

hehe I LOOOOOOVE AO...!!

MantisMag
05-13-2004, 06:54 AM
hehe. i came in here expecting another 13yr old with drawings done in marker. :p though since we haven't seen anything i can't really say this is any better.

tjmpaintball06
05-13-2004, 07:08 AM
anyone know if the epics actually shot good? could they keep up with an emag? i always wondered about them. Can u still buy them?

WenULiVeUdiE
05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Good luck to you as well. Without a working, good looking prototype and many interested in your gun, Im not sure if a company will "buy" your idea. You may also want to make sure it isnt easy to change a small part so they dont have to buy yours, the can "create" their own.

Consult a lawyer before you go to a company. Without a lawyer bad things can happen.

coolcatpete
05-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I am also working on a body, however mine sucks cause I am not good at cad.
Pete

kscullin
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Actually, blowback and boltless wouldn't be impossible. Difficult, maybe not cost effective, but not impossible.

One example would be an articulated barrel with the barrel attached to the striker in a reciprocal manner (striker moves back, barrel moves forward and vice-versa). Might not work too well, but not impossible.

Glickman
05-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Ah mR Glick you are quite mistaken on many counts. :eek:

Not to mention, dear sir, that you'v accidentally pointed yourself as a hypocrit! You notioned that the epic is blowback, boltless, AND swing open breech (which, by the way, only the second is true) and then proceeded to say that blowback and boltless cannot go together.

Thank you, though, for introducing me to this trap-door design!

Ah, money can always be worked out. :D

~Scott

heh, no problem, but i didnt realize that the epic was acually considered blowback, because it didnt appear that anything was actually.. well.. getting blown back...

soi was assuming that the epic wasnt considered blowback c..

so i didnt note anything really, jus tthat it sounds like and epic...

Automaggin2
05-13-2004, 06:28 PM
One example would be an articulated barrel with the barrel attached to the striker in a reciprocal manner (striker moves back, barrel moves forward and vice-versa). Might not work too well, but not impossible.

Wait, kinda sounds like a Nova 700. Well, it used a articulated barrel but it was a spool valve design

pekingduck04
05-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Well.. I'm not particularly interested in marketing an actual product or even making money from it. I am far too young, and too busy with learning to put much effort into this. I just want to see my creation lifted from paper and moulded into a real marker, to signify my success. Perhaps some acknowledgement would be appreciated, too :) .

So.. that being cast aside, I will share with you.

This must be brief, because I have a prom to attend tomorrow, and the three days following I will be basking contently in the jellyfish and seaweed mutations at Galveston.

Steps to the operation of this marker:
1) as usual, regulated air waits patiently in a volume chamber.
2) Now.. the trigger is pulled and the sear releases a hammer. Spring tension, which regulates velocity, forces the hammer forward to strike a valve. The harder the valve is struck the greater the volume of gas allowed into the chamber. In a blowback marker, the volume of air pushes the hammer right back where it came from, while at the same time traveling up thru the interconnected bolt and firing a paintball. The hammer is caught by the sear, and you may repeat. This is nothing new.
3) My invention has no bolt. The moving parts in it you could say resemble that of a cocker (IVG and all). Now.. The hammer does two thing; it not only strikes a valve to release air, but depresses the rear of a sort of.. "mini sear". when this sear is depressed it pushes a pin inside an on/off valve to open.

Okay recap: from left to right.. is air chamber, valve, second chamber, hammer with sear, spring, threaded adjuster. On top of the second chamber is a sideways on/off valve, with a spring to close it when pressure is released. Near the rear of the hammer (so that it is depressed only when the gun is cocked) is a small angled, smoothed steel end of a mini sear, which when depressed opens the on/off.

Continuing..
4) When you fire, and the hammer is released, the on/off valve is closed by its little spring, so the air released by the main valve has no choice but to force the hammer back as quickly as possible to cocked position. The moment the hammer is back and depresses the end of the mini sear, the on/off valve is opened, sending that furious volume of air up.
5) The volume of air travels up and into a chamber that converts its motion forward to push on a waiting paintball, held in place by detents both before and aft. Out the barrel and into a swearing teammate it goes!

Get it?? This is tough to put into words.

Okay.. now many questions are quickly aroused.
1) Why the on/off? This should promptly eliminate the rediculous spring tension/pressure in waiting air chamber balance that would come by just drilling a hole straight up in the main chamber.
2) Timing? The "mini sear end" must be placed in the right spot where it can open the on/off once enough momentum is achieved to send it's hammer friend hurdling far enough to be caught by the main sear.
3) Fitting? Space management may be difficult, but is achievable. The sear and on/off have only the lateral room of slighter more than the throw of the hammer. The hammer itself must maintain a shorter throw and wider face to allow faster cycling.
4) Maintenance? The breech area, "mini sear", and on/off valve are placed in the very center of the marker... how would I possibly get to them? Since the top half of the gun consists only of barrel threading, a breech, chamber to redirect air flow, feed tube, and detents, it is very possible to carve it in a way that it can be "opened like a book", like angel breeches. But in this case nearly the entire top half is folded (with the exception of the threading, which remains fixed). Rubber fitted into milled grooves along the edges will ensure that the chamber is airtight when shut. When the chamber is opened it will allow proper cleaning of all the above mentioned parts, and the on/off and mini sear as well. See when the chamber is shut, it puts pressure on a pin that keeps the sear in place (like a ULE body to a sear in a mag rail). Pressure is also placed on the edges of the on/off. With the chamber folded open you should be able to just dump these two into your hand.
5) Wouldn't you dirty up the on/off if you chopped a ball!? No bolt.. how the hell would you chop a ball? If by some unusual circumstance the detent chops it the moving air should keep the valve clean.
6) Would there be much blowback gas? nothing out of the ordinary.
7) Won't the marker operate slow!?.. since it fires upon reset, not upon strike? No. Blowbacks are lightning fast, and the internals of this gun should allow it to cycle slightly faster. The time it takes for the hammer to strike and reset is so minute that it would not be noticeable.

I hope I have covered everything in my mind at the moment, though I really do feel I've forgotten something. If by chance I do recollect I will post immediately.

Guys I am completely open to criticism! Questions? Problems? Tell me now!!!

~A very exhausted Scott

pekingduck04
05-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Ah.. images speak far louder than words. I will certainly post one, but you must allow me until after my prom extravaganza to do so!

~Scott again

shivors
05-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Heres what ya do. Get a protoype hammered out...now the next step is crucial, have pictures taken with half naked chicks and put them in magazines. Next get 20-30 kids to troll forums screaming about how great it is. Then...spread a rumor or two about a well known team switching to your new uber marker.

You would sell a gazillion! A GAZILLION I SAY!!!!

Watch...

Hey...I am new here but I have to say somehting about the new Pekduck 04. It doesnt have a bolt and I get 4000 shots out of a 9oz CO2 tank. I blows the Angel out of the water!!!! BOOM!!!

It weighs 1LB and is SUPER accurate! It has japanese electronics that read you brain waves!!!!! I shot a friends and I shot all 50 people on the other team in like a minute. It so fast...like a machine gun

They are soon to ship so pre-order and get a free kitten, afree stick, and a picture of a Reloader B!

Just add some more grammatical errors and copy/paste. Remember...a GAZILLION!

PevsBalla89
05-14-2004, 06:48 PM
how is the breech sealed so that the gas doesnt just go straight into the hopper??

dwab3000
05-14-2004, 08:04 PM
sounds sorta what im doing, except mines not boltless, but it is blowback and has a removeable breech (that im making interchangable w/ angles)

mine also has trigger frames, that are adjustable w/o elcectronics...thats sweet

this design has a patent pending, so btfo...msg me to find that one out...he he he

Athius
05-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Ah patents take so very long.. just look at the hAir trigger. I am eighteen of age, therefore I am ambitious, optimistic, but tremendously impatient! I sincerely hope the design itself will overshadow my inexperience and lack of resources.

~Scott

Well u can do this:

1. get an envelope.
2. put the blueprints inside the envelope.
3. mail it to yourself.
4. went it arrives DONT open the envelope.
5. Store the envelope with the blueprints inside.
6. If someone steals your idea sue him and take out the envelope with the blueprints inside as evidence and ull win the case since it says in the stamp the date, month and year that it went into the post office.

That's how u patent somethin for 32 cents.