PDA

View Full Version : Osgood schlatter's.... Bye Bye Paintball?

Glickman
05-12-2004, 09:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had experiances with osgood schlatter's. I was diagnosed with it, and while it's not supposed to last forever, its possible to last years.

Medically what happends is "During periods of rapid growth, stress from contraction of the quadriceps is transmitted through the patellar tendon onto a small portion of the partially developed tibial tuberosity. This may result in a partial avulsion fracture through the ossification center. Eventually, secondary heterotopic bone formation occurs in the tendon near its insertion, producing a visible lump. Approximately 25% of patients have bilateral lesions."

So besides haveing a apparent lump, even banging it lightly will it collapse, and during the day, my knee will give out. As well as Jumping, and running usually going hand in hand with pain/

So usually what will happen is you will have it for a week or two, and it will go away, but ive had mine for a few weeks, and therefore, its likely to continue until my bones stop growing, but my bones grow slow, so it might be untill im 19-20. (15 now) and even then, its possible to come back, as well as arthritis.

Anyone have any experiances with this? cause its supposed to occur in like 1 outta every 5 people.

Ive had to stop doing tournaments, and i cant imagine missing spplat attack 3 (i seriously cant) but even missing paintball for 4-5 years or more seems impossible. Something i do 1-2 times a week to none? Not to mention puttung 10,000 dollars into something that i cant do anymore..

If your still reading this, thanks for taking the time and listening to my *****ing ;) I would really appreciate comments from people with osgood's as well.

Thanks!

davidb
05-12-2004, 10:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had experiances with osgood schlatter's. I was diagnosed with it, and while it's not supposed to last forever, its possible to last years.

Medically what happends is "During periods of rapid growth, stress from contraction of the quadriceps is transmitted through the patellar tendon onto a small portion of the partially developed tibial tuberosity. This may result in a partial avulsion fracture through the ossification center. Eventually, secondary heterotopic bone formation occurs in the tendon near its insertion, producing a visible lump. Approximately 25% of patients have bilateral lesions."

So besides haveing a apparent lump, even banging it lightly will it collapse, and during the day, my knee will give out. As well as Jumping, and running usually going hand in hand with pain/

So usually what will happen is you will have it for a week or two, and it will go away, but ive had mine for a few weeks, and therefore, its likely to continue until my bones stop growing, but my bones grow slow, so it might be untill im 19-20. (15 now) and even then, its possible to come back, as well as arthritis.

Anyone have any experiances with this? cause its supposed to occur in like 1 outta every 5 people.

Ive had to stop doing tournaments, and i cant imagine missing spplat attack 3 (i seriously cant) but even missing paintball for 4-5 years or more seems impossible. Something i do 1-2 times a week to none? Not to mention puttung 10,000 dollars into something that i cant do anymore..

If your still reading this, thanks for taking the time and listening to my *****ing ;) I would really appreciate comments from people with osgood's as well.

Thanks!

I had it when I was a few years younger than you. DON'T STRESS OUT ABOUT IT! :) It's really not a big deal. I still have the little protrusions on my knees, but they stopped hurting a long, long time ago. I remember having a lot of trouble with physical activity at the worst point, but looking back it's not something that made an impact on my life. Sometime in the (hopefully near) future, the pain will start to go away. You'll probably think you're just getting used to it, but then eventually it'll be totally gone and you'll wonder when it happened. I hope it happens soon for you, good luck.

David

Target Practice
05-12-2004, 10:20 PM
OSD varies in degree...you will have good periods, and you will have not so good periods. Personally, I don't have it, buy my ex-girlfriend did. She played (and walked) roughly 36-48 holes off golf per week plus weights, trainning, and practice for all 4 years of high school. It actually helped her, and she ended up becoming one of the top 50 golfers in CA. While paintball is a little more strenuous than golf, the activity might actually help it.

Edit: Dave! What's up? Haven't seen ya around here lately.

Glickman
05-12-2004, 10:25 PM
heh thanks guys. but i still cant imagine missing shatnerball 3...

TransMan
05-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Dude your such a wuss I've had OSD for about 3 years now and it didn't chage a thing sure it hurts like a "female dog" but who cares about pain suck it up and playon. Also you can try those bands that go right below your knee I' m sure you have seen a lot of basketball players with them I think they are sposed to help.

like this (http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-45120423330145230556460-0&module=sideNav&action=keywordSearch&supercat=other&sku=1414&model_nbr=8275)

chairman_mao
05-13-2004, 09:53 AM
My roomate in college had OSD and he played four years of competative lacrosse. He wore the things that TransMan linked to and he said they help trmendously. I blieve the idea behind them is the put pressure on the tendon to help keep it in place and thus reduce the stress. I would consult and orthapedic doctor for a prognosis on your future activity levels.

matmc89
05-13-2004, 10:58 AM
ive had it for 2 years and i play shatnerball and such. Wear a kneepad, it would hurt really bad to get shot there or fall on it.

Glickman
05-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Dude your such a wuss I've had OSD for about 3 years now and it didn't chage a thing sure it hurts like a "female dog" but who cares about pain suck it up and playon. Also you can try those bands that go right below your knee I' m sure you have seen a lot of basketball players with them I think they are sposed to help.

like this (http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-45120423330145230556460-0&module=sideNav&action=keywordSearch&supercat=other&sku=1414&model_nbr=8275)

well think about this... maybe u didnt have it as bad as some other people.... i was nearly immoble for 1 1/2 weeks, not that it only hurt when i moved it, it just wouldnt let me... you probably didnt hurt as much because you didnt have a bilateral cut underneath, as well as just the osd. about 50% of people who get osd have that too, and it makes it worse.

ive started playing tennis again, not running, just walking, so its looking good except for me knee giving out every once and a while.

kauai_paintball
05-14-2004, 03:47 AM
I have it, I still play. I would reccomend some knee pads and good shose with gel insoles to cusion the impact when you run. It aches like a muther the next day, but its gone by the next time you play. I cant run everyday because of it, and it prevents me from shedding weight quickly, but my jamba juice diet has had results... dont worry about it, my doctor told me it is saf eto run as much as I want and engage in any activity I want... IF i can take the pain.

The Action Figure
05-14-2004, 06:41 AM
My ex-backman has it and he still plays a little he shot enought to where he could take his time to the back middle bunker

RRfireblade
05-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Wow,lot's of other people. :eek:

When I had it, no one I know knew what the heck I was talking about.Most still don't.

I had it pretty extreme for around 2 years,wheel chairs and elevators most of junior high(no stairs allowed at all).I was still pretty active though overall and getting out of classes 5 mins early was pretty cool.

My knees are pretty much a mess know but I can't say it was related to O.S. Mostly just advanced osteoarthritis and some bursitis.I'm pretty used to it by now,just keep on going till you can't walk anymore,then take a break :D

I wouldn't worry about it to much.Just follow doctors orders and it'll likely pass.

Good luck! :)

JEDI
05-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Haha, wow. I almost forgot I had it until I read this. Damn, I remember the days of lightly tapping my knee on a desk or something, and falling to the floor in agony. The only thing I can offer is this. Deal with it now, because it will go away, and you'll forget about it. I dont know how dehabilitating it is for you, but I was still fairly active. Good luck man.

Glickman
05-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for understanding everyone, its nice to hear that im not the only one who falls in pain when i bang me knee. i had no idea it was this common though.

Thanks for your help!

Woogie12
05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
3 of my teammates have it. I guess it kinda went away for them, but they still have lumps. Doesn't affect their playing though.

Mango
05-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I am very familiar with Osgood-Schlatter Disease. Many of our college athletes at my school have it and still play and are very active but they must remain ever vigilant about it. Basically over time a bony callus is going to form as the tibial tubercle enlarges. This will effect everyone differently depending on such factors as your diet and eating habits, activity levels and your own metabolism. There is no one safe answer and you are going to have to maintain watch over this as time goes by. What you can expect as I'm sure your doctor has already informed you is repeated irritation and swelling over the tibial tubercle (the pointy spot of bone under the knee cap).

What you can do if pain gets really bad is apply ice to the knee before and after activity to reduce any swelling and vasoconstrict the veins around the tubercle. What we tell our athletes is to do isometric excercises to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstring muscles (this will also improve bone growth and strengthening which is CRUCIAL for anyone with this ailment). You should decrease stressful lower lower body activities for about 6 months. You should not completely stop, just dont be playing as hardcore as you normally would.

Diet at this point is also very important. Be sure to get plenty of calcium, magnesium and vitamin D (all 3 of which are needed to strengthen bones).

Torbo
05-14-2004, 02:18 PM
my sister had it a couple years ago. She too medicine, and iced it a few times a day, and wore a knee brace all the time. She was supposed to try and stay off it unless she had to. She took it pretty easy for a few months, and the played field hockey anyway. im no doctor, but you should be ok doing some stuff. Could you maybe switch to back? that might help.

dwab3000
05-14-2004, 04:33 PM
hmm...least its better than reffing with your ACL pulled...

whne i was younger i remember having something like this...i was like 12 or so...now im about 40 and it really doesnt affect me much

i suggest something like yoga, dont wanna sound gay, but i do it, and my game improved after i started

Glickman
05-14-2004, 05:51 PM
ive thought about going back, but even after putting one a bandage and kneepad, it still hurt just tapping it, so maybe after a few months ill start playing back, hopfully.

AssassN
05-14-2004, 05:55 PM
I had it the entire time I played. It wasn't a big deal.

dwab3000
05-15-2004, 01:00 PM
i still say try yoga...

it really helps, i do it..