PDA

View Full Version : Yet another music recomendations thread

PyRo
05-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I figure I usually find a couple good bands in every one of these threads, so why not make another :)
And I just realized that I had been throwing gift certificates I got into a basket for the last several years and have a few hundred dollars at various music stores that arn't expired :)

Konigballer
05-15-2004, 01:32 PM
be a little more specific about what you want or like generally.

personman
05-15-2004, 01:48 PM
The Postal Service - Give Up is a great cd..
But yea, tell us what you like.

PyRo
05-15-2004, 02:13 PM
be a little more specific about what you want or like generally.
I think its easier to say what I don't like. I don't like:
Any rap (there goes half the music out there)
Classical
Country
Real heavy metal (some of it I like, I like disturbed (one of my favorite bands) and korn which could be classified at metal, but it isn't as heavy as some of the stuff out there).
Blink 182, the ataris, stuff like that I don't like.

Other than that its pretty much open season.

As for what I do like:
Disturbed
Godsmack
Evenenscence (some of it)
Older Greenday
Nirvana
Korn
Audioslave
Silverchair (ok, I bought it because it was only a dollar)
Rancid - Indestructable
Jerry Cantrell - Degregation trip (havn't heard the rest of his stuff)
I think chimeria is good, I have to go listen to the sample again though.

That is the extent of the cd's I have that I actually like, although I have about 80 total :)
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm going to go check out the ones I got.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
05-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Cursive- The Ugly Organ

Queens of the Stone Age

Rise Against- Revolutions Per Minute

Strike Anywhere

Suicide Machines

Lawrence Arms

EsPo
05-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Cursive- The Ugly Organ

Queens of the Stone Age

Strike Anywhere

Suicide Machines

Lawrence Arms

Don't let him in on good music.

;)

Konigballer
05-15-2004, 04:22 PM
If you already like Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff then I hope to god you've got some Alice in Chains in your catalog already, its right up your alley. Godsmack, and a slew of other bands, is just a complete rip off anyways.

You would probably like old White Zombie too. Both of their albums are great. However, their debut album, La Sexorcisto, sounds grittier and less fancy than Astro-creep 2000, wich is why i like it better. Its all campy, horror movie rock 'n' roll at its best.

You might like NIN and Ministry if your more into industrial, they both rock and have both spawned a million imitators.

You like Audioslave so once again I hope you have some R.A.T.M. and Soundgarden in your catalog, you really cant go wrong with either of those bands.

Everybody should like Guns N' Roses and AC/DC nomatter what they listen to, its just common sense.

Most of these bands have greatest hits albums if you feel like you need a "taste" first before you buy one of their real albums. However, if you do like them I would strongly suggest you buy their real albums. Often, some of the best songs on their albums did'nt make the best radio friendly singles.

FutureMagOwner
05-15-2004, 04:53 PM
well ill just put some cd's that i own since every cd i own is a favorite of mine:

foo fighters- all my life and the colour and the shape however i like all their music just havent gotten around to buying the cd's yet

A Perfect Circle- 13th step and mer de noms are cd's i also like

Tool- of course, all of them are great the ones i listen to the most however are Lateralus, AEnema, and Undertow

Rage Against the Machine- personally i only own evil empire as of this time (my brother stole half my cd's when he moved into his house and hes moving back so hopefully ill get them back sometime soon) but i like a majority of them

and i also have Stone Temple Pilots- Thank You, it basically has all my favorite STP songs on one cd so i like it alot, but the rest of the cd's also have alot of other songs i like too

then there are some other bands such as green day, red hot chilli peppers, etc that i dont own the accual cd's as of this time but i do listen to alot

Kevn 419
05-15-2004, 05:09 PM
O.A.R- "in between now and then" or "souls of flame"

Sublime is good as well

MagMan5446
05-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Sublime

Old rancid is much better than indestructa-gay.

Long Beach Dub....

Mikey B
05-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Lo Pro - Self Titled

Cold - Year of the Spider

Chilie Peppers - All of their CDs :)

PyRo
05-15-2004, 07:32 PM
I actually got an alice in chains cd this morning, forgot to post that. Good stuff, I might get another one.
I'm definatly going to pick up some rage against the machine, oar, sublime 20th century masters (has all the songs I actually like on it), rancid, Lo-Pro, and Cold.
Then on the questionable list is Lawrence arms, suicide machines, strike anywheres, and rise against revolution.
As far as the chilli peppers go, I only like a few of there songs, so I put together my own disk.

Thanks for the recommendations, keep em comming.
:)

sps16
05-15-2004, 08:00 PM
If you like great metal check out in flames- Soundtrack to your Escape, thats their newest album, but they have about 6 or more albums before stye which are all great!

atm743
05-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Cursive- The Ugly Organ

Queens of the Stone Age

Strike Anywhere

Suicide Machines

Lawrence Arms

hell ya suicide machines are the best but heres what i like. i like punk, rock, metal, and the only rap i like is the beastie boys and luda!!

my fav bads here listed here from top being my fav and bottom as i own a cd or two:D

Goldfinger best band i love then best ska punk ever!!

operation ivy man i miss them.

pennywise best political puck ever and the drumer is sick. very fast beats

tool i love their music jest love it best metal/hard rock you can find

taproot best art metal band alive. their music is the bomb

sublime man i wish the lead was still alive. best reggey (if i spelled that right)

unwritten law jest a great rock band love em

godsmack they are the best hevy rock hevy metal ever love them but going acustic mmmm secend thoughs on that??.....

rage man i wish that theres no such thing of audioslave i miss them. killing in the name of !!!!!! hey weres that one guy on ao that like s rage??? man you need to post here !!!! rage is the bomb!!!

well i have lots more that i love to listen to but thats what i am listning to now or whenever i love music and i live music

who_311
05-15-2004, 08:07 PM
If you like all that nu-metal stuff, you should get into good metal. Get:
Converge-Petitioning The Empty Sky(one of the bets cds ever!)
Ministry-Psalm 69
Slayer-Reign In Blood
Metallica-Kill Em All(Anything after "...And Justice For All" sucks)
Anthrax-Persistance Of Time *OR* Fistful Of Metal

You should get some thrash too like:
DRI-Thrash Zone
Zeke-Kicked In The Teeth *OR* Dirty Sanchez
S.O.D.-Speal English Or Die

...And some (good)punk:
Adolescents-Adolescents
Dead Kennedys-Plastic Surgery Disasters
The Clash-The Clash
GG Allin-Always Was, Is, and Always Shall Be *OR* Hated In The Nation
Minor Threat-Complete Discography
Nomeansno-One *OR* 0+2=1
The Germs-MIA
Black Flag-Damaged
Suicidal Tendencies-Suicidal Tendencies

Muzikman
05-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Hmmm...Who311 seems to know his music. Those are all great suggestions for the metal/thrash side of things. Which I also agree, if you like this new junk out there, you might wanna go back to the roots. Also look in to Motorhead, Megadeth and Iron Maiden.

Now, I will go another route than everyone else. There are a few albums that EVERYONE should own.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Who - Who's Next
Led Zeppelin - IV (AKA: Zoso)
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers
RUSH - Retrospective I (this is a greatest hits CD)

Now, a lot of people will say that these are not the best CDS from these bands. That might be true, but these are the CDs that you MUST have.

who_311
05-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Hmmm...Who311 seems to know his music. Those are all great suggestions for the metal/thrash side of things. Which I also agree, if you like this new junk out there, you might wanna go back to the roots. Also look in to Motorhead, Megadeth and Iron Maiden.

Wow, I totally forgot to throw in some Motorhead. Megadeth is cool too man, the early stuff is better though, and his voice is alittle annoying after a while. Iron Maiden is probably one of the best bands ever, I just didnt put them in because i kinda doubted he would have liked them. Get Iron Maiden-Number of The Beast. RIGHT NOW!

ZAust
05-15-2004, 09:19 PM
98 degrees?

dwab3000
05-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Well if you like rap, look into the bassist from korn, feildy with his album Rock N Roll Gangsta..

also on the albums everyone should own here is a good list

Nirvana - Nevermind
Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bulloks (or sp...im tired)
Zakk Wylde - wlle really anything by his is great
Ozzy - The Essential Ozzy
all Rage Against The Machine (best one ever was probably Rage Agaisnt the machine (selftitled))
Jimi Hebdrix - Are You Expierenced
Pnk Floyd - The Wall (conratualtions you have found the secret message, please mail your answers to old pink care of the funny farm :D )
The Doors - THe Greatest Hits Box Set
All Old RHCP (when they had all the origianl members, and they were junkies)\
Korn - Korn (jon davis cried for 9 minutes man...)

jeez i could go on forever but its 10 :48

ramennoodles
05-15-2004, 10:37 PM
-older stuff-
The Beatles
Buddy Holly
The Sonics
bob dylan

-punk-
dead kennedys
the clash
the jam
ramones
the stooges
the sex pistols
Souixie and the Banshies

-emo-
hey mercedes
saves the day-stay what you are
jets to brazil
the juliana theory

-'the' bands-
the white stripes
the vines
the hives
the strokes

-random-
neutral milk hotel (holland, 1945)
the madness
the cure
built to spill
bright eyes

-grunge-
mudhoney
nirvana
hole
three year *****
butthole surfers

just some samples, by far, not everything

Ov3rmind
05-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Cursive- The Ugly Organ
Everyone should buy that CD, probably the best $13 I ever spent. You can always count on Cursive to make quality music.

Converge - Petitioning to Empty Sky
Converge - Jane Doe

IMO, Converge is the epitome of aggressive music. In general the music is extremely intense and very emotional (but not in a whiney way). One of the few active bands right now that I have genuine respect for.

... And You will Know us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes (excellent indie, very reminiscient of Sonic Youth)

Comeback Kid - Turn it Around (solid hardcore, kinda' catchy as well)

Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene (very technical metalcore. It's also VERY strange, but enjoyable at the same time.)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
05-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Don't let him in on good music.

;)

Rise Against is going to be playing a show in Chi-Town, just for the hell of it, and its only 5 bucks, it is going to be good times.

Can_Opener
05-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I definitely have to second In Flames , almost all of their stuff is worth listening to, just sounds awesome.
KMFDM is good too, I especially like their album World War III.

who_311
05-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Converge - Petitioning to Empty Sky
Converge - Jane Doe

IMO, Converge is the epitome of aggressive music. In general the music is extremely intense and very emotional (but not in a whiney way). One of the few active bands right now that I have genuine respect for.

Word man. All of their albums have so many layers, and parts to them. I swear, everytime I listen to any converge, I found something I didnt hear before, you know what I mean? And whoever keeps saying In Flames, am I the only one that thinks theyre not good at all, I just think theyre way too generic, and lame. Oh well. Converge all the way man. Im glad to see another Converge fan.

FreakBaller12
05-16-2004, 12:54 PM
definatly check out the band thursday. I like them alot. Try the album full collpase, the best they have out, IMO. Our try this band called the dead 50's you'll have a hard tiem finding a cd i would think, cuz they aren't that popular. But they are a very good band IMO. BTW both these bands can be previewed on the smoked dvd.

Ov3rmind
05-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Word man. All of their albums have so many layers, and parts to them. I swear, everytime I listen to any converge, I found something I didnt hear before, you know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean. So, do you have high hopes for You Fail Me? If it tops Jane Doe I'll do back flips.

Smitty2k1
05-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Ever try the 80's?

The Cure
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Smiths
David Bowie
Joy Division
Teardrop Expodes

(Yeah threw in some non 80's too)

jewie27
05-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Course of Nature
12 Stones
Submersed (new and produced by Mark Tremonti)
Theory of a Deadman
Nickelback
FUEL

I know there are tons more, but these are just a few of the rock bands I listen to and can suggest. I only listen to things with guitars/drums/Bass. No synthesizers and no hip hop or rap. Pretty much because I am a guitar player myself. I don't believe it takes talent to just make a beat on a computer and call it "music". To actually play a musical instrument does.

PyRo
05-16-2004, 01:25 PM
So much good music, so little money (at this point anyway). I bought about 15cd's, and have a decent list of ones I want going (about 10 more), then a bunch of ones that I have to listen to some more. And i'm only on Muzikmans post.

Anyone else love cdnow.com? You can listen to samples, and they sell used cd's. Between there and ebay you can usually get them for about half price or less, and its legal, and you get the whole cd, case papers, and all.

Muzikman
05-16-2004, 02:15 PM
I'll say CD buying online with a credit card gets VERY addictive. I am currently over 1000 CDs (my last count about 8 months ago was 960 and I know I have bought way more than 40 CDs since. My budget usually accounts for about $150-$200 in CDs a month. I have so many CDs that I have some that I have not even opened. So...watch yourself when online spending:)

**Note: I have only bough 4 CDs in the last month. I am trying to cut down.

personman
05-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I'll say CD buying online with a credit card gets VERY addictive. I am currently over 1000 CDs (my last count about 8 months ago was 960 and I know I have bought way more than 40 CDs since. My budget usually accounts for about $150-$200 in CDs a month. I have so many CDs that I have some that I have not even opened. So...watch yourself when online spending:)

**Note: I have only bough 4 CDs in the last month. I am trying to cut down.
:eek:
Do you actually LISTEN to the cds or just buy them!? :confused:
I have about 25 cds.. hehe :p

Ov3rmind
05-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Joy Division
I'd recommend "Closer" and "Substance" if you want to look into JD.

You can never go wrong with Blondie either!

edit: Holy crap Muzikman! That is A LOT of CDs. My count is only at about 60 (and I always have several that I plan on buying).

who_311
05-16-2004, 02:46 PM
I know exactly what you mean. So, do you have high hopes for You Fail Me? If it tops Jane Doe I'll do back flips.
I do have high hopes. Im thinkin we'll be blown away, or atleast that is what I hope for. I cant wait. Have you seen them live? Man, it was one of the most insane shows Ive been able to see. Actually, my band has been recently jammin on some "converge-esque" stuff, its pretty rad. I may have to get it recorded and see what you think. Im just glad to see another Converge fan in here.

PyRo
05-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Well for the price of one CD at tower records, I can buy two or three online, so i'm not doing to bad having bought about 10 cd's. I plan on getting a few more, then just slowly buying stuff.
I have about 100 CD's including what I just got, the problem is I only like about 15 of them, atleast I didn't pay for the ones I don't like :)

Ov3rmind
05-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I do have high hopes. Im thinkin we'll be blown away, or atleast that is what I hope for. I cant wait. Have you seen them live? Man, it was one of the most insane shows Ive been able to see. Actually, my band has been recently jammin on some "converge-esque" stuff, its pretty rad. I may have to get it recorded and see what you think. Im just glad to see another Converge fan in here.
I have yet to see them live, but I'm hoping they put up a UT date soon (I've heard they're pretty damn crazy live). If your band gets some mp3s up, you should post them up in here.

jewie27
05-16-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't really buy many CDs but cdnow.com is great for checking the track listings. I use the track listings and samples to make sure I'm downloading the right songs for the entire album. :p

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
so Pyro what cd's have you purchased?

PyRo
05-16-2004, 05:01 PM
so Pyro what cd's have you purchased?
Bought:

Rage against the machine - The Battle of L.A.
Rage against the machine - Evil Empire
Silverchair - Frogstomp
Nirvana - In Utero (not great, but it was only 0.25 because shipping was combined)
LoPro - LoPro
Rancid - Indestructable
Rancid - Lets go
Rancid - Life won't wait
Rancid - And out come the wolves
(how the hell I didn't notice I bought so many rancid cd's I have no idea)
Alice in Chains - Nothing safe
Taproot - Gift
Taproot - Welcome
Cold - year of the spyder
Coldplay (I think I cannot remember)
Sublime - 20th century masters: Millenium collection
Jerry cantrell - Degrogation trip
Updated
Butthole Surfers
- Electriclarryland
-Wierd Revolution
-Another one because it was ok and cheap
Rust - Retrospective
Bid on Pslam 69, and a David Bowie best of CD

Want to buy:
Unwritten Law - Burn (Not great, but I think I can get it for free)
Lead Zepplin IV
The Who - Who's Next
Black Label Society - Hellride
The strokes - Room of fire (not 100% sure on that one)
Tool - I forget the album

The ones that I need to go get some more samples because I only listend for a secont.
Lawrence arms
Suicide machines
Strike anywhere
Rise Against revolutions
Cursive
Oar
Pennywise
Metalica
Anthrax
Iron Maiden
Sex Pistols
Doors
S.O.D.
Hendrix
The Vines
Converge
KMFDM
Thursday
12 Stones
Theory of a dead man
Nickleback

Considering it all totaled out to about $139.94, I dont think I overdid it, but I think its time to lay off for a couple weeks. 20 cd's for $140, $7 a cd not bad, in a record store I would have spend about $360 for the same thing, so I legally saved $220 :). Ill get all I want eventually, i'm still open to more recomondatoins though :)

who_311
05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Sublime - 20th century masters: Millenium collection

Shouldn't have gotten that one man, get 40oz. To Freedom or their selftitled. Trust me. The best way to listen to any sublime, is to listen to the albums.

PyRo
05-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Shouldn't have gotten that one man, get 40oz. To Freedom or their selftitled. Trust me. The best way to listen to any sublime, is to listen to the albums.

I listend to all there samples, and didn't like alot of it. The collection had all of what I did like on it, so I went for it.

who_311
05-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I listend to all there samples, and didn't like alot of it. The collection had all of what I did like on it, so I went for it.
Oh, alright then. Ill allow it. Do you like their raggae stuff or punk stuff?

jjraf
05-16-2004, 05:27 PM
I like...

sex pistols - nevermind the bollocks
rancid - ...And out come the wolves
Operation Ivy - energy