PDA

View Full Version : Which gun would be better?

Leader of Men
05-16-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm getting a beginner gun so I can get into the hobby, and I'm curious as to what you think I should get.

I have about $130 to get into the hobby.

My friend has a stock Piranha (G3 I think...) that he would sell me with a mask, hopper, and tank for $60. If I bought that I could also buy a nice barrel upgrade and get some paint.

Another option I could have, is to just buy his gear, and then get a Spyder XTRA which would need to stay stock for a little while this summer.

Which would be the better route?

The Action Figure
05-16-2004, 01:59 PM
option number 1 get some paint and play, oh and its a sport not a hobby :D

elpimpo
05-16-2004, 02:00 PM
buy a tippmann 98

Paintball_4_Fun
05-16-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm getting a beginner gun so I can get into the hobby, and I'm curious as to what you think I should get.

I have about $130 to get into the hobby.

My friend has a stock Piranha (G3 I think...) that he would sell me with a mask, hopper, and tank for $60. If I bought that I could also buy a nice barrel upgrade and get some paint.

Another option I could have, is to just buy his gear, and then get a Spyder XTRA which would need to stay stock for a little while this summer.

Which would be the better route?

if this would be yout first time I would say rent first.
if not any spyder would be ok.
for 60 bucks you would get all the basics you need to start. also your friend will know how to work on that gun.
I would probley go for the 60 buck deal.

NJPaint
05-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Have you ever played before? I'd say Tippmann Model 98, or if you know you'll be around for a while, Automag.

ZapTheMad
05-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Definitely get used equipment first. That way if you decide to sell, you don't lose much or possibly even make all your money back. Buying a new gun right now is a bad idea. Wait until you become more experienced and you learn more about what exactly you want.

Leader of Men
05-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Here is another dimension to it...

Another friend of mine has a piranha for sale which he can give me for $80, the good thing about this one is it has a nice barrel and some upgrades on it. The bad thing is then I have to buy the gear from my other friend.

It's a G2 with quite a few upgrades and a 9v revy :)

Albinonewt
05-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I say buy a nice mask, a pack, some pods, and things like that. Once you decide if you like the game or not save up $300 or so and then jump on the web and buy a nice used low end tournament electro and start from there.

No sense buying a gun yet. You might not like the sport and then you're money is wasted. OR you might love the sport and want a tournament class gun, then your money is still wasted.

Leader of Men
05-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Okay, I'll be buying on of the two used guns... I'll test them out and look at them both.

And I've played before and I used a tippy 98 custom. Another time I used my friends ($60 option) dollar PMI. It fit me pretty well and I liked it.

ZapTheMad
05-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Maybe ask if you can borrow them first. Go out and play with each one and see what feels best for you.

68magOwner
05-16-2004, 02:41 PM
also, you may want to concider your barrel "upgrade" idea, believe it or not, all barrels are just about the same, unless your current barrel is bent, a new one really wolnt affect accuracy, so, theres not really a need for a new barrel, unless you want a big bore one to prevent barrel breaks.