PDA

View Full Version : Airgun Designs Turbo Valve??? Mr. Kaye care to explain?

ClassicMagger
05-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey:

Well, today online Thug Mitch aka Bacci Paintball, asked me about an Airgun Designs Turbo Valve on a Sheridan PMI-2 Direct Feed. I have heard of them before but I honestly don't know if it is a TRUE AGD product or what. Mitch and I both would appreciate it if someone knows anything for sure on this part or if Mr. Kaye himself would enlighten us.

Thank you as always AO,

ClassicMagger

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71339&stc=1

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71340&stc=1

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
05-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Its A Conspiracy! Agd Owns All Of Paintball!!!

RRfireblade
05-16-2004, 05:51 PM
It was a high flow valve designed by Tom/AGD before the 68mag days for sheridan pumps.It was intended to increase efficiency and give more shots per cartridge.

FreakBaller12
05-16-2004, 06:05 PM
efficiency and agd in the same sentence!?
so it aint so! :eek:

Muzikman
05-16-2004, 06:09 PM
For all the times Tom has talked about the things he has made, I never remember a Sheridan valve coming up. Interesting. Kevin, is that in your posession right now?:)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
05-16-2004, 06:25 PM
kevin is right now too busy to talk...i believe it was because his 2 kids were fighting over who gets a ULE body

cledford
05-16-2004, 09:12 PM
For all the times Tom has talked about the things he has made, I never remember a Sheridan valve coming up. Interesting. Kevin, is that in your posession right now?:)

Jason,

Tom has mentioned a time or two that one of his first marker projects was to troubleshoot efficiency issue with the old Sheridan valve. I also think at one point he helped Dennis Tippmann with SMG production issues. In one of his threads (or maybe it was a lecture at a tech class) where I believe he was talking about how easy it was to go the wrong way resolving a problem he mentions efficiency and air-flow. Evidently he spent months trying to tweak the last little bit of performance out of the Sheridan valve and still couldn't get something reasonable. What it turned out to be was that it wasn’t that the valve was inefficient, it was the design, which was allowing the hammer to bounce off of the valve sending wasting little bursts of gas. I'm wondering if this valve was born from that project...

-Calvin

cledford
05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Ah, Here it is:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34109&highlight=flow

One of my more favorite Tom posts :)

Clasicmagger - I'd be willing to trade you something for that valve and the marker it came out of - if Muzikman doesn't snatch it up like all other things rare and AGD ;)

-Calvin

bacci paintball
05-16-2004, 09:41 PM
So from what i can gather from those posts is that PMI paid AGD to develop the turbo valve?
You learn something new everyday!
I will get some pics of the gun as soon as my camera charges. Not really anything special, just a pmi-2 direct feed.
-Bacci

Dayspring
05-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I remember Tom talking about this at the IAO tech class last year when he talked about the pin/valve type of regulators.

Jason,

Tom has mentioned a time or two that one of his first marker projects was to troubleshoot efficiency issue with the old Sheridan valve. I also think at one point he helped Dennis Tippmann with SMG production issues. In one of his threads (or maybe it was a lecture at a tech class) where I believe he was talking about how easy it was to go the wrong way resolving a problem he mentions efficiency and air-flow. Evidently he spent months trying to tweak the last little bit of performance out of the Sheridan valve and still couldn't get something reasonable. What it turned out to be was that it wasn’t that the valve was inefficient, it was the design, which was allowing the hammer to bounce off of the valve sending wasting little bursts of gas. I'm wondering if this valve was born from that project...

-Calvin

Muzikman
05-16-2004, 10:04 PM
I remember him talking about pin valves and even at the Megameet in pretty good detail. I just never remember him making valves.

Also, that would be Classic Maggers baby if he has it now. You think I have a lot of guns and rare items...you should hear about his collection;)

AGD
05-17-2004, 03:56 AM
The Turbo Valve was actually one of our first products. That engraved gun is an EXTREMELY rare piece of AGD memorabilia. We made several thousand turbo valve kits until Sheridan knocked us off and incorporated the design into their standard markers.

That engraved gun was one of only about a dozen we made that were for PMI's sponsored teams. At the time the top guns were nelson based so we rolled out the Turbo Valve to show them we were now just as efficient.

AGD

evan123
05-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Tom,

Care to explain how old that Turbo Valve is? I am curious, the body looks like something i would find in my grandpa's garage.

Muzikman
05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Well, it being a DF Sheridan based gun, my guess would be about 87 or so?

Vanced
05-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Definatly a very nice little chunk of AGD history that could use a little TLC ...

would love to see this cleaned back up into good working order then some pics... maybe something in the AGD museum on it...

AGD
05-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Of all the Turbo Valves in all the world I only have a few parts from a kit with a worn out package, thats why you don't see it in the museum.

AGD

Muzikman
05-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Tom: Piece of advice....keep one of each item you make;)

Vanced
05-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Of all the Turbo Valves in all the world I only have a few parts from a kit with a worn out package, thats why you don't see it in the museum.

AGD

My only further thought on that subject would be for who ever own's this artifact : be it Bacci Paintball, ClassicMagger or who ever it may be... either take it upon them selves or find someone talented enough and willing to take on the project of restoring the gun ( maybe even Tom himself or the shop crew) ... and provide it to Tom for the needed photo op so it can be added to the AGD museum ?

Being a player from more of the old school days and still of the old school mindset, this is just the kind of stuff I like to see... And being a mechanical engineer by education I love to see stuff like this over another circut board like you would likely see in some other manufactuers musuem ?

tyrion2323
05-18-2004, 08:47 AM
I think that would be an awesome idea! Send in the marker and valve to Tom and let him spiff that thing up!

Jacob