PDA

View Full Version : does this sound like a scam to anyone else ???

thump
05-17-2004, 09:42 AM
well i have a minmag for sale.a person has been in contact with me and says he has a client wating to buy it.we agree on a price $325...ect....
now heres where i think it gets fishy,tell me what you think...
after agreeing on a price he saiy that he wants me to send all my shipping info.name,address,,,ect to him and that his client will send me a check for $3500,,i deduct my fee for the minimag then ship the minimag and rest of the money back to the States.
to me something seems wromg here,,,,why would someone need to send a $3500 check to buy a $325 item..also why not just buy it himself instead of haveing a broker do it for him?

GA Devil
05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
yeah sounds fisshy but could also be a typo and he added an extra 0 on accident.

I would bet he is saying that he has the marker for sale for 350 and just trying to make 25 off of it to this other person and is only trying to sound important by saying client making it easier to believe so he can make his 25.

ASDadam
05-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Its a scam, they've been doing this to alot of people. Don't do it.

Thermus
05-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Its a confirmed scam. Tell him to **** himself.

Bulldog
05-17-2004, 11:26 AM
There was another thread with basically the same question/situation a few weeks ago. Scam.

Banshee23
05-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Scam :(

What they do is send you a cashier's check, you end up depositing it & sending them the remaining money. Then a few weeks later your bank calls you after they realize the check is a phony & you're out alot of money. That's the basics of it.

WARPED1
05-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Old scam. It was brought up here recently.

Buff
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
if u wait 21 days after u deposit the check, and the bank dosn't say anything, then ur safe.

SirTim
05-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Have you ask the guy if he actually means $3500? It's just a typo. I am pretty sure of it.

WARPED1
05-17-2004, 11:56 AM
IT'S A SCAM! Ask to use a 3rd party, or ask for his phone number and see hoe "he" ignores you.

eddie885221
05-17-2004, 12:21 PM
WUT IS HIS NAME????????? sombody tried that on me too but i didnt do it, i have his email still if u could tell me his sn it might be the same guy

Fixion
05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
It IS a scam. I got one of these guys who offere to buy on of my guns. He sent a fake cashiers check for $5000, it wasn't even a good fake. The watermark and the mirco print was missing (obvious fake).

thump
05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
the email comes with the name Steve Thomas on it and the email address is
[email protected]

Cryer
05-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I say, accept the guys offer, then report it to the authorities.

When the check comes in, just turn it over to the police. Let them take care of it.

ZapTheMad
05-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I second that.

coolcatpete
05-17-2004, 02:34 PM
I say, accept the guys offer, then report it to the authorities.

When the check comes in, just turn it over to the police. Let them take care of it.
Thats a good plan and then you also get to be in a bust and those seem like they are awsome to be in.
Pete

steveo356
05-17-2004, 02:43 PM
2 words money laundering

deadeye9
05-17-2004, 04:02 PM
This is definetly a scam. They send you a phony check. You deposit it at your bank. You send them the balance. Sometime later the bank calls the police and they charge you with passing a bad check. You're out the money you sent to them and you're under arrest.

CRySyS
05-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Unless they have reason to think you forged the check and/or were in on it.

My roommate just got hit with this scam while trying to sell his VW Karman Ghia to a guy in the UK. The guy gave him some story about a business associate in the US who owed him some money so the associate would send a check for $8000 and my roommate would use the extra money to ship the car to the UK and send the rest back. I told him it sounded very fishy but he said yes. I actually held the check, it was missing watermarks and microprint and I told him it looked fake but he didn't want to belive me. At least he waited for the check to clear. A day after the bank cleared the money they called to tell him it was a bogus check and the money was removed from his account. He is supposed to be getting e-mails and the envelope to the police but he's pretty lazy so i have no idea how that's going. :confused:

So do what Cryer said and get the authorities involved, maybe you can prevent some trusting fool like my roommate from getting screwed. :D

coolcatpete
05-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Make it a bust, boy do I like busts. When I pull small ones on my friends to see if I can catch them in a lie, oh it is fun. Do it will be adrenilating.
Pete

TheTramp
05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
2 words money laundering

lol. Someone's been watching too much Sopranos. ;)

Steelrat
05-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Where does the guy supposedly live? BTW, its definately a forged or counterfeit check.

thump
05-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Where does the guy supposedly live? BTW, its definately a forged or counterfeit check.

i just got off the phone with phonebusters,they said its a very big scam going on right now.one guy was taken for $90,000US!
anyways he said they cant really investigate it to much buit they will try .i am getting back in touch woth the scam artist to try to get his shipping address/name so that phonebusters will at least have that much info.
what i would really like to do is just go find the guy myself and introduce him to my big stick.im sure buy the time im done with him he will no longer want to scam anyone ever again ;) .

Vanced
05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah common scam that has been around for a good while... I have only ever heard of it used on motor vehicles, boats, etc... First time that I have ever seen it slip to this level...

Don't they know we have enough scammers, crooks, and thiefs around the paintball world already to add this to our list of things to look out for...

What's scams next... a Tom Kaye robot clone for us to send money too?

Steelrat
05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
In all probability, the scammer probably isnt doing it exclusively to the paintball community. They just look for easy targets, and the trusting nature of most transactions here and on PBN only helps. I have noticed a steady increase in the number of scams and rip-offs going on, and sadly I can only think that it is going to get worse.