PDA

View Full Version : Other than a fried solenoid or board…

hitech
05-17-2004, 11:51 AM
My emag suddenly stopped firing in electronic mode (works fine id mech). Trigger pulls are being registered, the display is working fine, and the voltage is not dropping and "rebooting" the board when it attempts to fire. The solenoid just doesn't move (it's NOT binding, it moves very freely). Also, the warp interface is not sending the signal to the warp. Other than a fried solenoid or board, any other idea?

BTW, I haven’t yet put a voltage meter on the solenoid leads, only tried to troubleshoot it at the field (at my first real tournament, argggg).

Does anyone know if AGD will warrantee the board if I didn't drop it in a lake?

deadeye9
05-17-2004, 03:03 PM
If you remove the valve, you can use your finger tip to push down on the back of the sear assembly to simulate the on/off pin. Try to fire in e-mode with you finger pressing down. If it operates, then you might have a bad on/off assembly. You might try and operate it without the warp plugged in. The warp may be shorting something out.

hitech
05-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks, I did try that (and without the warp plugged in). The solenoid doesn't move even with the valve removed and the grip frame lying on its side (to keep gravity from moving it).

deadeye9
05-17-2004, 04:08 PM
You can check the resistance of the solenoid. Should be 1 or 2 ohms. If it's high, then it's probably the solenoid. If it measures correctly I would suspect the board. The solenoid should just be a coil of wire.

PzYcO
05-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Hitech... if you get around to it, PM Captain Stabbin, he had a similar problem and got it sent to tuna to get sorted out

funkmunky56
05-18-2004, 05:51 PM
first things first, take off your window-side grip panel, and check the two wires from the solenoid. one should be firmly attached along the left side of the board, and the other to the middle leg of a MOSFET in the upper right corner. I've seen many e-mags where that MOSFET lead has detached from the board, usually due to a cold solder joint that causes enough resistance during rapidfiring to heat the solderbead to the melting point, where it then pops off...

--Funk

hitech
05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
I've seen many e-mags where that MOSFET lead has detached from the board, usually due to a cold solder joint that causes enough resistance during rapidfiring to heat the solderbead to the melting point, where it then pops off...

Interesting. Both of the wires from the solenoid are firmly attached, however one of them does kinda look like it might be a cold joint. Guess I need to verify if the board is supplying current to that point or not. I guess it's time to break out the volt meter…