PDA

View Full Version : Woa..automag suction?

YourMasterJulian
05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
This is weird. My retro valved/level 10 mag has ball suction at the breach, like a timed closed bolt gun. Has anyone else experienced this?

Chronobreak
05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
so its sucking air back into the bolt? is that possible? and no i never noticed such a thing

Python14
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I had a mag with slight suction. It wasn't enough to really cause a jump my performance or anything, but maybe at higher rates of fire it may have caused a little faster feed rate or something. Never the less, maybe Tom and company can research it a little bit and maybe tweak X-valves to do it with proficiency. Deadlywind super trigger combined with suction...hmmmmmmm :D

ZapTheMad
05-18-2004, 01:00 PM
I thought the same thing once. When you hold your hand over the feed, it feels like it's sucking.

Hold a piece of paper over the feed and you will see a different story.

edweird
05-18-2004, 01:01 PM
anyone who has seen the old school automag manual vid has seen it if I recall correctly

Fixion
05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I thought the same thing once. When you hold your hand over the feed, it feels like it's sucking.

Hold a piece of paper over the feed and you will see a different story.

1 square of toilet paper will show the truth. When I had my cockers, I suction timed one of them. It sucked a square of TP about .5-.75 inches into the feed neck. I couldn't do that with my other cocker because the 3 way sucked (shocktech bomb 3 way vs. stock sto 3 way).

But I have never heard of a mag doing this. Can someone check with some TP?

BTW, you want to try with a ball already in the breach.

YourMasterJulian
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
I actually did check this with paper. But it stoped when the tank began running low, maybe because the bolt speed changed. Im going to try again this weekend at the park. I wish i could make a video or something. I'll also beable to check the fps and stuff.

YourMasterJulian
05-18-2004, 04:46 PM
I think the "performance" relevance of this is not really that it has suction, but that it has no blowback.

the electrician
05-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I noticed this back when I first started using mags in '97.
I think you guys are forgetting something that is very important here.

when you time a cocker for suction, you have to test it firing a ball, while holding the tissue over the breech. if it still has suction, then you are good to go. but alot of times, you will find that the "window" of time, so to speak, that actual suction timing occurs is smaller than what you think. it has to be just right. if you try the tissue test with out firing a ball, your wasting your time. you may think you have suction, when in reality you don't.

this goes for the mag too(really all guns). if you dry fire a mag it of course will suck a tissue in to the breech, there is no object for the exhausting air to push out of the way, down the barrel. when you fire a ball, the suction turns into blowback up the breech. the air hits the ball and is lookig for a path of least resistance, partly which is up the feed tube.

so unfortunately, it is not something new, and it is not actually suction at all.
I imagine it would be possible to modify a mag to actually have suction whike firing a ball, but I don't think it would be very feasible. way too much effort for a very small gain.