PDA

View Full Version : After A LOT of research, I finally ordered a marker!

Mr. Frodo
05-18-2004, 03:33 PM
After a month of searching, I finally ordered my new marker today! Thanks for all the input, advice, and education! When I first began this search to replace my old F2, I started with Minimags, which soon expanded to RT's, RT Pro's, Emags, and their different flavors in ULE and Deadlywind bodies. My original price range of about $200 shot throught the roof, so the 03 Shocker, which is what I really wanted, was also in the running. The problem was that paying that much for a marker didn't feel right, mainly because my level of play was not at a level that would fully appreciate the capabilities of a high-end tournament level marker.

So, I went to my local shop where they had this neat looking Dragun TES sitting on the counter. I've never shot an electro marker before, and the trigger play was quite delightful. (I now know why Emags can have 20K+ on the counter but less than a case through the barrel.) After more research, I found the TES regulators and ASA have metric fittings, and the drops are too far forward and "small" to fit most tanks. It would cost about $100-150 more to upgrade the so-so reg, drop, ASA, macro lines, and fittings.

By now, this research has taught me a lot about the technical aspects: valves, electo-mechanical, electro-pneumatic, dynamics of chopping, etc. Now that I'm in the $400 range and still looking at new markers, this understanding had steered me to the B2K4 and Evil Omen. They both propel paintballs through different methods but have similar efficiencies, are priced the same, and perform the same in the real world. I doubt the average rec baller, including me, will need 15bps. If they do, then it's not an average rec ball game. Anyway, these two seem to have a reputation of consistency and reliability, but I ordered the Omen because it was slightly lighter, I liked its looks better, and there were few if any complaints about its feed system.

Thanks again everyone's help! I credit No Skills for pointing out the vast number of choices in the "mid range" category and for suggesting the BKO. I'll post a review of the Omen once I play with it.

Thermus
05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
I've heard good and bad things about the Omen, and I would love to try one. Have fun with it, it should serve you pretty well.

No sKiLLz
05-18-2004, 03:47 PM
After a month of searching, I finally ordered my new marker today! Thanks for all the input, advice, and education! When I first began this search to replace my old F2, I started with Minimags, which soon expanded to RT's, RT Pro's, Emags, and their different flavors in ULE and Deadlywind bodies. My original price range of about $200 shot throught the roof, so the 03 Shocker, which is what I really wanted, was also in the running. The problem was that paying that much for a marker didn't feel right, mainly because my level of play was not at a level that would fully appreciate the capabilities of a high-end tournament level marker.

So, I went to my local shop where they had this neat looking Dragun TES sitting on the counter. I've never shot an electro marker before, and the trigger play was quite delightful. (I now know why Emags can have 20K+ on the counter but less than a case through the barrel.) After more research, I found the TES regulators and ASA have metric fittings, and the drops are too far forward and "small" to fit most tanks. It would cost about $100-150 more to upgrade the so-so reg, drop, ASA, macro lines, and fittings.

By now, this research has taught me a lot about the technical aspects: valves, electo-mechanical, electro-pneumatic, dynamics of chopping, etc. Now that I'm in the $400 range and still looking at new markers, this understanding had steered me to the B2K4 and Evil Omen. They both propel paintballs through different methods but have similar efficiencies, are priced the same, and perform the same in the real world. I doubt the average rec baller, including me, will need 15bps. If they do, then it's not an average rec ball game. Anyway, these two seem to have a reputation of consistency and reliability, but I ordered the Omen because it was slightly lighter, I liked its looks better, and there were few if any complaints about its feed system.

Thanks again everyone's help! I credit No Skills for pointing out the vast number of choices in the "mid range" category and for suggesting the BKO. I'll post a review of the Omen once I play with it.
You did it right, Frodo. When you take your time to find the right gun you'll get the most out of it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

baka
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
yeh man the TES's are ok, you should look at my the One marker in the gun of the month thread on pg 5, its the e-pneumatic one, very sweet marker, and Dragun/Odyssey is releasing its O3 there first marker in there trademark series, they are alot faster and quicker then my the one and come w/ cocker threads and delrin type bolt and new reg.'s +eyes. But man you should get a B2k3 or 4 w/ pds, i saw a b2k3 f/s here the other day for only 225 w/out pds, but then you could get that installed and have a very pimp marker. I'm thinken of doin this myself. Good luck.

skife
05-18-2004, 04:08 PM
bushmasters are great.

Mr. Frodo
05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
yeh man the TES's are ok, you should look at my the One marker in the gun of the month thread on pg 5, its the e-pneumatic one, very sweet marker, and Dragun/Odyssey is releasing its O3 there first marker in there trademark series, they are alot faster and quicker then my the one and come w/ cocker threads and delrin type bolt and new reg.'s +eyes. But man you should get a B2k3 or 4 w/ pds, i saw a b2k3 f/s here the other day for only 225 w/out pds, but then you could get that installed and have a very pimp marker. I'm thinken of doin this myself. Good luck.

I thought about an O3, but I decided against it because new markers "typically" have problems, of which the 03 Shocker (s/n < 3900) and first run Omens and Vikings are examples. At that price range I could have gotten a new B2K4 PDS for not much more, and not have to worry about any "new gun" related issues. It was close between the B2K4 and Omen... I'm just comparing new vs new. It seems like getting a used marker can be hit or miss and would depend heavily on how the previous owner treated it.

baka
05-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Acttually the One was the testing marker, and the o3 is its superimproved self. They listened and they fixed alot, but yeh you could just get a new b2k4 w/ pds for not much more but i'm sure the price on the o3 is gonna drop later. But don't get a omen, you'd be better off w/ a bko w/ the sp mod(its like a lvl 10 for bko's), just my opinion. And yeh agree w/ ya on buying a used marker, but if you know your stuff and you ask for mucho pics. you will always most likely come out w/ what you expected.

$tevo
05-18-2004, 10:06 PM
you'll be happy with whatever you get, as long as it works properly. if you are just a rec baller, and dont do many, if any tournies then the omen will suit you fine. once you get into big tournies, you may need a little more advanced gun (as in break beam eyes and such). but i think you will be happy with the omen