PDA

View Full Version : Computer Speaker Set up..

temps
05-18-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm in the process of figuring out the specs for my new computer.. and well I have an intresting idea for the speakers :D
currently i hava 4.1 computer speakers. I want those to stay. Now for the part i'm not sure about and i was hopeing someone on AO might know... I want to connect 4-6 stereo speakers on top of my computer speakers.

For that a figured there might be 3 possible solutions:
1) connect an amp to my computer then have all the speakers run from the amp -> problem -> will I be able to connect my computer speakers to the amp..??
2) install a second sound card, then have my computer speakers on one sound card and have the stereo speakers on a second sound card -> will both sounds cards run at the same time? or will sound (from one source, lets say win amp) just come from one sound card or the other??
3) get a sound card that has 3 or more line out ports -> do they make sound cards with 3 or more line outs? (i need atleast 3, my 4.1's take up two)

Any insight would be helpful thanks!

I was also hopeing to be able and have it split into two zones so that i can decide what set of speakers i want to listen from (computer/stereo) or both.

LudavicoSoldier
05-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Ok, so what kind of 4.1 system do you have? I assume that all of the speakers plug into a base/subwoofer that then plugs into your PC via a 1/8 headphone jack? What you could do is get a stereo receiver that has a A/B speaker set functionality, meaning that you can plug two sets of stereo speakers, and use either set, or both, with diminished power to both. You would hook the receiver to you pc via a 1/8 to RCA cord. You can then take one of the RCA outputs from the receiver and convert it into a 1/8 female connection using a special dongle (adaptor cable) that you can get at any decent music supply store, or maybe RadioShack. You would then plug your 4.1 system into the dongle, and use the built in volume control to adjust the level. LMK if this is clear enough for you.

ZapTheMad
05-19-2004, 04:19 AM
I bought a Sony STR DE-485 Reciever. It has to be one like this for the 6 channel inputs. I run a SB Live in my PC with 6 channel outputs. The digital output on the sound card is not compatible with anything but SB products, I tried everything, it doesn't work. I have that running into a full 5.1 home theater speaker system with powered sub. My PC JAMS!!!

FactsOfLife
05-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Quit messing around and go get some Klipsch 5.1's....