PDA

View Full Version : Compare and contrast...from A-5 to RT?

Scherdy
05-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Okay, I know the best way to feel how a marker shoots is to, well...get your dirty mitts on one and shoot it...BUT, I've yet to find someone locally with a mag for me to test out.

My experience is limited to what I've shot. I have my first marker, an A-5 and have shot it with both an RT, and e-grip w/ adjustable jcs blade trigger. I have really liked this marker, but it is heavier w/ a larger profile but has a lot of +'s about it too. Other than that, I've only shot a friends pirhana e-force srt.

I've been mulling over a custom rt mag for a while and just don't want to end up getting something that is too similar.

SO, paint a word-picture for me about what shooting a gun like is like? Similar? Different? how so? Any other gun I should compare it to that might be more available to test? Someone with A-5 experience who could tell me what their thoughts are after making the switch?

Realistically, how many bps can you get from one, (Like without having a genetically enhanced trigger finger?) while still holding your aim at your target?

**edit - I LIKE my A-5, don't get me wrong. It's consistant, accurate (powerlyte scepter cocker threaded <--See, planning ahead!! :D ) and never lets me down. Hey, maybe another question--If the custom rt ule were a vehicle (car or truck or other) what would it be? :confused: :p

Juicemaster
05-19-2004, 05:36 PM
after using my a-5 for about a month, i decided that i hated it. So i switched to a 98, which was better, in my opinion. The i got a tunamag (custom RT pro). The balance is much better than the a-5, the whole gun is smaller, and i think that it looks cooler too. it is much more consistent than the a-5, in that the balls land closer together every shot. the bps question is somewhat hard to answer. does your a-5 have R/T? if so, then the mag will never shoot close to that fast. but i can get a solid 8 bps out of my mag currently, cuz thats as fast as i can pull the trigger. if you have any other questions pm me.

magman#1
05-19-2004, 06:11 PM
the mag would be soo much nicer, it has less recoil, and is quieter so it just feels nicer to shoot, it feels like it's going smoother and not just metal slamming on metal like a tippmann. it's got a better aftermarket imo too, with tippmann you have to buy the tippmann upgrades, while you have a few custom parts people with the mags.

MagmanLee
05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Really Juicemaster? I've never could shoot the A-5 RT as fast as my RT Pro Custom. There was no work involved in shooting the A-5 cause the RT simply made it automatic, but I can fly on my mag compared to a A-5 RT. It just felt I had more control over the trigger of the mag.

Scherly-while I haven't owned an A-5 RT, my friend has one and i have used it in a game, although this doesn't qualify me as being experinced in the A-5, I still like my mag better. Yes, you will find me too be very biased toward the mag, but I do like the A-5 too.

Weight-the mag was the lighter and more balanced of the two, also more compact. I've always found the Tippman guns to be longer than what I find to be comfortable.

Trigger-As for the trigger on the two, the very best thing to do is to try them, but since that's not possible, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I definately like the ULT on the RT Pro Custom. The Custom has a lighter pull compared to the A-5. I mean the standard trigger and the RT, not the electronic, I've never tried the electronic one. For the speed I can get off the two, the mag wins hands down. Don't know the exact BPS, but it always makes me feel good when my shooting attracts curiosity from strangers and amazment in first timers....but then again I've been playing the piano for nine years so I do not know how you will fare.

Shooting-This is probally where most of my bias comes from, to me the mag just feels(YOU NEED TO TRY EM BOTH!!!) better. With the A-5, I can notice individual shots but with the mag, it's just smoother. I really don't feel a difference going between shots. I've felt this on other guns too, you hardly know that the gun even fired.

The Car-well, I'm probally more biased in this :D. Just about any Mustang from the 1970's.....God they're better than sex...

jesseyo13
05-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Ive shot both of the guns and owned a mag before. The rt mag with an adjustable tank is really just as fast as my angel IR3. It might not be nearly as efficent, but just as fast if used right though. It sounds ALOT quiter to me than an A5 aswell and cost less I believe. One thing that I also noticed while playing with an a5 is that its so long that its like holdding a rifle. Its almost impossible to snap shoot with it against something fast and small like and rt mag. The plastic on the a4 seemed cheap and easy to break off too. One thing that is a little better on the a5 is the trigger pull weight. It is quite a bit less than the rt. I would go for smaller and faster and day over harder trigger pull though.

Z-man
05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
If you are just playing rec ball and don't care about the tourney legal stuff (I suspect so as the A5 is one of your considerations), the RT can be setup to outshoot about anything on the market. The input pressure can be raised untill the marker will rapid-fire at speeds well over 20bps if you want godly firepower, while at the same time, you can shoot that thing as fast as you can pull the trigger.

My How to Rapid-Fire Section (http://www.zakvetter.com/Pages/Paintball/Automags/Rapid_Fire/rf_disclaimer.html)

Most people I meet cap out around 12-14bps. On a good day I can hit 16-18 but really now, would you stick your head out if I was only putting 12 bps into your bunker ;)?

Video of my (old) RT Pro doing 23bps (8mb load be patient) (http://www.zakvetter.com/Videos/rapidfire.mov)

steveo356
05-19-2004, 07:50 PM
well i like the rtc is smaller and lighter with more after market parts

as for cars:
a5 = chevy suburbin big and hevey (sp)brainfart
RTC=doge magnum HEMI

zacbot
05-19-2004, 08:17 PM
a dodge!!!!...how dare you..dont ever compare a mag to a dodge..what a disrespectful statement..heh

personman
05-19-2004, 08:37 PM
An A-5 and RT pro are like two compleeetely different guns.
Compare:
They both shoot paintballs.
Uhhh they have triggers..
Contrast:
The RT pro has an integrated regulator with extreeemely fast recharge and well.. the A-5 doesnt.
The RT pro comes with level 10 which will eliminate 90% of all chopping, and well.. the A-5 comes with the air powered feeder..
The A-5 uses an open bolt inline blowback design.. the RT Pro uses a blow forward design.
The RT has fewer moving parts when you pull the trigger.
Airgun Designs has the best customer service in the industry. I've never dealt with tippmann but I guarentee you its no where as good as AGD.
The RT is alot lighter than the A-5.

spadge67
05-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I went from my 98c to my mag, and it was like night and day, paintball is an entirley new sport for me now...

I've played with my friends A-5, and the mag is totally nicer, less trigger pull, smoother, faster, etc....

Dayspring
05-20-2004, 09:19 AM
BS

The A5 has too much moving mass. The Mag will run circles around the A5 in terms of cycle speed & moving mass.

The faster the cycle= the faster the gun.

does your a-5 have R/T? if so, then the mag will never shoot close to that fast.

Kaiser Bob
05-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Generally speaking, it would be way easier to pick up a 98c with RT trigger and do 18bps then picking up an RT custom and trying to do the same, so for practical purposes it is kinda faster. The A-5 RT trigger is toned down so its not as cheaterific, but it also loses the fun of pulling the trigger and watching your tippmann go crazy. So, if you are talking serious markers then definitely RT takes the cake, but as far as fun guns to mess around with in a friendly backwoods game or something, I think the 98c RT is and has been the ideal choice for quite some time.

Car comparisons

98c - go kart
A-5 - El Camino with a camo paintjob
RT custom - Silverado TurboDiesel

dwab3000
05-20-2004, 12:19 PM
i own both

though my a-5 is so custom it isnt funny (i am though giving up on the warp :( , but it will be centerfeed :D ...stupid cyclone)
my a-5 can outshoot the cyclone (that happens after twelve billion mods to your rt or e-grip) so ROF will not be the same, but i have noticed like very useless upgrades for the a-5, and havent seen one useless one for mags

i would go w/ mag, only cause i find it easier to use than an a-5...

as for the car, the mag would be a freakin bentley :D

Scherdy
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the input. It's giving me a much better idea of some of the differences. A lot of the positives about the mag seem to be what I wish I could improve on the A-5 (lighter, tighter, smoother, less kick :eek: quieter,...)

Also I know the rt on the A-5 isn't copasetic with tournament play and I would also like to get a smaller tank (48/4500?) and my A-5 would eat that up pretty quick.

Heh...the El Camino of paintball...don't know how I feel about that. Can I get tassles/fringe to hang around the edge of my A-5? :p

Digits
05-20-2004, 08:51 PM
get rid of the tippy man..

A mag would be alright.. There really light/small if that's what your looking for..

If your a seriouse baller though get an electro.. If I could go back, I woulda never got any of the crap guns I got and just went straight electro