PDA

View Full Version : I'm car stupid.

gamarada717
05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Ok, I'm 14 now, and my first car will be the Durango that we got in 2000. I've started to put some money towards car related buys, and then I realized something

I know absolutly nothing about cars.

Okay, so I know how an engine works, a lot of the basic stuff, but other than that, I don't know what makes a car better or worse really. This will probably be my car until I go to college, and it may even be used for college. So it's got to be pretty cool. Basing my knowlege of sound systems off of some friends rides, I think I only need one sub for what music I listen too. I don't want ear shattering noise, but enough to be pretty loud. I also want it to sound good when I rev it up, so what would I need for that? Exhaust stuff?

As you can tell, I don't know what I'm getting into... What kind of things would you guys recommend for my situation? Just give me prices and so forth. If it's difficult to install, my neighbor works on cars 24/7. He even has a lift in his driveway, and he's had some pretty awesome cars over there, so I think he could handle it. Thanks in advance :)

cheetah256
05-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Don't. :D

Trust me, after you grow out of the phase, you'll appreciate having an actual car.

warbeak2099
05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
To give a car a nice throaty growl when you rev or are driving for that matter, you'll want a sport exhaust. Tri-flows are nice. You could also get a sport airbox or airfilter too. KNN makes nice filters.

cletus
05-19-2004, 09:51 PM
So are you looking for info on a sound system or on cars in general? If your wondering about sound systems pm me, i can help.

Greg98
05-19-2004, 10:24 PM
You definately need to know about cars if you are going to own one....my advice, take any mechanics courses in school, and check out the following websites and read read read..... (of course, you have to have some love of cars to begin with if you really want to know what makes them tick)

www.howstuffworks.com (go to the automotive section)
www.caranddriver.com
www.roadandtrack.com

my personal site is www.bimmerforums.com, you can learn a TON about cars in general, and the off topic section is nuts.

oh and one last thing, please don't go ricing out this thing.....no neon lights under the car, don't put obnoxious huge chrome rims on it and then drop it 8" so that it's barely off the ground.....concentrate on performance related stuff, and maybe a little stereo goodies...

That way, when you have have a cat-back exhaust with mandrel bends and aftermarket ceramic coated headers, new engine software, and a new intake system, you can laugh at those kids in their civics who spend 10,000 on the outside, but neglect to improve their 100 horsepower 1.8 liter 4 cylinder :p

vf-xx
05-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Don't. :D

Trust me, after you grow out of the phase, you'll appreciate having an actual car.

For some reason I wasn't expecting this advice to be given. I"m happy to be wrong.

Honestly, go ahead and upgrade the sound system a bit, just remember: Just because you want to listen to music, that doesn't mean that the guy next to you does.

Other than that learn your car. Learn how to fix the little things that can go wrong (battery, alternator, oilchange, etc....). Unless you need better performance for something you're doing regularly (IE towing) leave the rest stock.

IMO growling exausts are as annoying as overloud music.

gamarada717
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
IMO growling exausts are as annoying as overloud music.

It happens to be a pretty big thing around here...I live in Arkansas, remember? :) Thanks for all the help guys, really informative, and more oppinions would be great :)

Skoad
05-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Just get sound stuff as that can be taken back out and put in your next car.

As far as durango performance upgrades, It'll either cost your a fortune or look absolutely retared on the car

Just get a speaker box and a head unit.

doodeitstom
05-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Um.. make sure you buy all APC parts on preferably a honda you should be purchasing. Oh yea, make sure you have a 5 inch fart can with a 4 ft touring wing. Those 2 upgrades will give you 15hp. Oh yea dont forget the stickers, they are an extra 5 hp. I hope I gave you much insight. :D

gamarada717
05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
I hope you guys know that I'm not trying to rice out my car, if that's what you call it. :rolleyes: I live in Arkansas, in a small town. This is going to be used for mudding, towing boats and trailers, and so forth. I just want a nice sound system for classic rock to heavy rock, maybe a tad bit of rap. And I want my car to have a bit of a growl. So, what is the brand of speakers and subs and heads that I should look into?