PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey AO Day 4!!!

Dayspring
05-19-2004, 09:30 PM
I got a call from Jon Comprado a few days ago, asking PBX if we would hold this years' New Jersey AO day.

How can we say no?! :)

That's right boys and girls! Jon Comprado himself will be in town for the event, to be held at PBX Battlezone- New Jersey's Pemiere Indoor Paintball Field! The field will be shut down for the day- open to AO members & friends only!

The Date? June 19th 2004

As of right now, I'd like to open the invitation to any and all of the AGD dealers and customizers. Tunaman! Deadlywind! Logic! Datapimp! Roguefactor! GA_Devil! You all are invited to bring your wares.

Schedule of events to follow.

1stdeadeye
05-20-2004, 04:33 AM
Bout damn time!!!!!

You know I am there!!!! :D

Tunaman
05-20-2004, 05:30 AM
I'll be 65 miles offshore fishing in the 26th Annual Mako Mania Shark tourney. The following weekend is booked too. Bummer. Please make it mid july..... :(

PissedGodzilla
05-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I will be there, Absolutely!!! Can't miss an AO day!

Suede
05-20-2004, 08:32 AM
We also have a big lounge area with a TV. If you have any DVDs or VHS tapes of past AO events or AOers having fun and making fools of themselves--even better--that you would like to share with everyone that would be great.

PBX BATTLEZONE
Dover Mall
2 Route 37 West
Tom's River, NJ 08753
(732) 473-9937

DIRECTIONS:

North Jersey/NYC/Long Island
- Take New Jersey Turnpike (if applicable) to exit 11
- Get onto Garden State Parkway to exit 82 Seaside Heights (we are directly opposite the exit on the westbound side)

- Make first u-turn/jug handle turn (immediately following first light)
- Coming around the jug handle as you turn left at the light bear right
- Enter Dover Mall at Staples sign
- Go straight towards Staples then turn left and swing around building.
- Entrance is at the back

South Jersey
- Take Garden State Parkway North to exit 82 Seaside Heights and follow ital. directions above

Central/West Jersey
- Take route 78 East (if applicable) to South 287
- Get on the Garden State Parkway South to exit 82 Seaside Heights
- Follow ital. directions above

Philly
- Take route 70 East (there will be several circles but stay on 70)
- Get onto route 37 East (will stay on for approx 15 min.)
- After you pass the Garden State Parkway overpass make the first u-turn/jug handle turn (we are directly across on the opposite side)

Bucks County, PA
- Take NJ route 195 East to Garden State Parkway South
- Get off exit 82 Seaside Heights

InexactMelissa
05-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Yay! My first chance to attend an AO day! :D

Dayspring
05-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, mid July puts it too close to IAO and people have NPPL and PSP events to do around that.

It won't be an AO day without you. :(

I'll be 65 miles offshore fishing in the 26th Annual Mako Mania Shark tourney. The following weekend is booked too. Bummer. Please make it mid july..... :(

Tobe2be
05-20-2004, 09:19 AM
umm problem (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129339)

Dayspring
05-20-2004, 09:27 AM
While we may not get the real hard core AOers, how many of the NJ people were actually going to MI?

Danz
05-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Yes!!!!! :D An AO Day & PBX Battlezone! Two of my favorite things!

Danz

Tobe2be
05-20-2004, 09:52 AM
i was actually planing on going to miao. but lets see what happens

Dayspring
05-20-2004, 09:57 AM
If it becomes THAT big an issue, we may be able to reschedule. The problem is getting Jon's schedule worked out.

Suede
05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Tobe, if you go to MI hope you fly and not drive out there. There's no going back home and getting the tow truck. :p

Danz & Melissa--does this mean we will have the pleasure of the entire Stud Squad?

Tobe2be
05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
i for one dont think that 2 ao days should NOT (edit) NOT be on the same day. and miao was being planed way before njao day ever poped out. thats just my thought what do i know i steal hubcaps

Thordic
05-20-2004, 10:15 AM
I had a couple concerns.

1) Site capacity. We've had well over a hundred people show up for NJAO in the past, and thats a lot of players at once. I don't think you can cater to that many people at an indoor field. How many fields does Battlezone have? Two? Also, what about woodsballers? Not every person who comes to NJAO will want to play speedball, you are ignoring a large portion of people who come to these events.

2) Scheduling. First off, only a months notice? Thats WAY short, just about everyone I know was expecting NJAO in August, not June. Four weeks is pretty tight scheduling for anyone who has to travel.

Also, MIAO was scheduled a LONG time ago, and now they are considering moving it to the fall because they don't think they can compete with NJAO. I hardly think thats fair to them, they've had MIAO in the works for months.

I thought Knightbreed last year was absolutely perfect for an AO day. Not only did it have enough fields to keep a bunch of people busy and happy, but it had cabins on-site so you could throw a hell of an afterparty and not have to worry about anyone traveling or whatnot. The Sussex field from NJAO2 was good, but kinda out of the way, no on-site cabins, and no facilities. But at least it had some woodsball.

It just doesn't seem like this was planned out that much.

Dayspring
05-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Grand opening weekend of the field had well over 200 people. Capacity is not a problem.

Tobe2be
05-20-2004, 10:31 AM
suede HA HA really funny... /me changes suede from the good people list to the bad people list. as a matter of fact im taking a train so BLAH! ;)

bofh
05-20-2004, 10:35 AM
One month notice looks like they are only going to get locals, who don't have anything to do, because people normally plan a month in advance. Who don't play woodsball. And aren't expected to stay around, since no nearby hotels where suggested, or contacted for discount rates in the annoucement.

After we know the target market, I 'd suggest that the indoor field will be plenty big enough for *everyone* who shows.

Since I plan more than a month in advance, I'm just venting because I'll be somewhere else. :(

Danz
05-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Tobe, if you go to MI hope you fly and not drive out there. There's no going back home and getting the tow truck. :p

Danz & Melissa--does this mean we will have the pleasure of the entire Stud Squad?

I think it’s safe to say that most of us will be there. Vendetta is will be out of town that weekend to his great displeasure :( . I should have a solid roll-call by next week. Will we have to register in advance or anything?

Danz

Timmee
05-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Can I get an address to the field we'd be playing at? I didn't see it on http://www.pbxbattlezone.com, although maybe I missed it (I already have the days off, as I was planning to attend a stock class day at a local field, but that fell through). As long as the drive isn't too bad, and assuming I don't have anything come up, I'd love to attend (although I'd more than likely be coming by myself).

ogre55
05-20-2004, 04:38 PM
While all of Stud Squad may not be able to make it, a lot of us, myself included, will be there.

Ogre

Suede
05-20-2004, 05:10 PM
I updated my previous post to include directions. Hope this is helpful.

Also, please feel free to call the field. Number is in my sig.

Iceman#1
05-20-2004, 05:15 PM
my first AO day wooohooo !!!!!

Iceman

NJPaint
05-20-2004, 08:34 PM
I guess I will be there... :D

Day, we reffing?

govnamac
05-20-2004, 10:29 PM
How many fields does Battlezone have? Two? Also, what about woodsballers? Not every person who comes to NJAO will want to play speedball, you are ignoring a large portion of people who come to these events.

I thought Knightbreed last year was absolutely perfect for an AO day. Not only did it have enough fields to keep a bunch of people busy and happy, but it had cabins on-site so you could throw a hell of an afterparty and not have to worry about anyone traveling or whatnot.

I am in total agreement with Thordic

graycie
05-20-2004, 10:58 PM
hmm....finalize a date and costs i may be able to go

1stdeadeye
05-21-2004, 04:32 AM
I guess the big difference between this year and last year will be the air conditioned lounge. Oh yeah and the lack of mud and boulders on the field! ;)

NJPaint
05-21-2004, 06:18 AM
I had a couple concerns.

1) Site capacity. We've had well over a hundred people show up for NJAO in the past, and thats a lot of players at once. I don't think you can cater to that many people at an indoor field. How many fields does Battlezone have? Two? Also, what about woodsballers? Not every person who comes to NJAO will want to play speedball, you are ignoring a large portion of people who come to these events.

2) Scheduling. First off, only a months notice? Thats WAY short, just about everyone I know was expecting NJAO in August, not June. Four weeks is pretty tight scheduling for anyone who has to travel.

Also, MIAO was scheduled a LONG time ago, and now they are considering moving it to the fall because they don't think they can compete with NJAO. I hardly think thats fair to them, they've had MIAO in the works for months.

I thought Knightbreed last year was absolutely perfect for an AO day. Not only did it have enough fields to keep a bunch of people busy and happy, but it had cabins on-site so you could throw a hell of an afterparty and not have to worry about anyone traveling or whatnot. The Sussex field from NJAO2 was good, but kinda out of the way, no on-site cabins, and no facilities. But at least it had some woodsball.

Last year black cell said that over a hundred would show up, but I thought that the organizers were mad because not nearly that many people showed up... Last year, we used two fields, one 3 man sup air for the tournament, and a speedball field. Now we have a 5 man and a 3 man field. Capacity I don't think will be an issue. Woodsballers... Was there significant interest for this last year? I don't remember groups going off into the woods...

Thordic
05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Last year the attendance was pretty large, but I don't have numbers. Last year was also short notice. NJAO2 we had 130ish people. More notice = more attendees.

Last year there were woodsball fields being used, all day long. We had some fun games. Didn't you see Jon covered in mud after the last game? He looked like Swamp Thing because he fell into a big puddle.

1DE - Last year that area had been newly bulldozed, and NJAO came before they got to clean it up. They've had a whole year now to get that area ready.

The concept of cabins on-site is also a potential huge draw at Knightbreed as well. Last year we had around 10-12 guys staying I believe, and we had an awesome time. We had almost the whole campground to ourselves. Theres a huge firepit so we could prolly have a bonfire and whatnot as well.

Dayspring
05-21-2004, 09:44 AM
How about we focus on a few of the positives here...

Hotels- 5 minutes from the field.
Restaraunts/food/bars- 5 minutes from the field (actually walking distance).
Beach- less than 20 minutes away.

Field capacity? We cycled well over 200 people on opening weekend in the first session ALONE. NJAO3 had about 65-70 people all day. That's a slow day at PBX.

Knightsbreed- as nice as the field was, was out in the middle of nowhere. PBX is within 200 feet of the Garden State Parkway. Let's also remember that it was hot & humid as hell that day.

The other reason that things SEEM rushed (but really aren't) is because we don't have the organizational issues that all the other ones had. no need to find a field. We own the field. We have well over 200+ cases of paint on site, so no need to get that. We have air on site, no need to rent like last year. No need to worry about food, lodging or anything else, as they are readily available or already taken care of.

Lastly- we have to work around several schedules- NPPL, PSP, IAO, GPL, our own tourney series, Jon's schedule, Mel's schedule & many other factors. Is there a chance things may get pushed back so as not to conflict with another AO day- yes. So keep your eyes and ears open.

Thordic
05-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Last year black cell said that over a hundred would show up, but I thought that the organizers were mad because not nearly that many people showed up

Also, just a comment on this because you seem to be trying to blame Black Cell.

The event last year was supposed to be held at PBX's Sussex field, and all the publicity pointed to this. Flyers were given out at Global advertising for the SUSSEX field.

Then, a couple weeks before the event, the Sussex field wasn't ready, so a new location had to be found in a scramble. Attendance suffered because it was impossible to let everyone know the location was changed.

You can learn something from this. Short warning on location = lower attendance.

Attendance would have been higher if the Sussex field had been available, but it was unfortunately not for whatever reasons.

Suede
05-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Location is set as Jon Comprado was the one to ask PBX to host it and the Big Kaye-huna confirmed.

If the date conflicts with many people's schedules, please give us some alternate dates (keeping in mind all the other events and Jon's schedule so that he can attend). We'd also like to make sure PBX Violator can attend and that it doesn't conflict with their tourney dates since there are so many AOers on that team.

While we have many special events planned for the day, we certainly welcome any suggestions you guys may have to make this FUN and EXCITING. The field will be open exclusively to AOers and we can play all morning, afternoon and night long--if you so desire (but I wouldn't want to cut too much into the night time partying! :D )

dansim
05-21-2004, 03:56 PM
i personally like the sound of on site cabins(knightsbreed), but a months notice is a little short, no alot short

Tunaman
05-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Roll up the middle net! 50 bunkers! 25 on 25! WwooT! :D :D

1stdeadeye
05-21-2004, 06:00 PM
1DE - Last year that area had been newly bulldozed, and NJAO came before they got to clean it up. They've had a whole year now to get that area ready.

Yeah, but I really want AC. Also, I am selfish. PBX is an hour for me and Knightbreed was like 2 plus hours! ;)

Iceman#1
05-21-2004, 08:38 PM
like tunaman siad roll up the middle net , 50 bunkers but instead of two teams of 25 put four teams of 7 on each corner :eek: :D

Tobe2be
05-21-2004, 11:20 PM
ok well i have an opinon on both sides of this and ima explain both and will try to stay as nuetral as i can.

PBX Pro's
Indoor's, AC,only AO,Nice feild,Cool people running it, Good reff's, and rents automags.
PBX Con's
Same day as MIAO, Too short notice, No TUNA!

OTHER SIDE Pro's
Onsight cabins, bigger feilds, Advnaced notice, last year was fun, Outside which means BBQ. TUNA!!!

OTHER SIDE CON's
Hot, Muddy, Weather, not enough staff to reff us.

With saying all this i think that NJAO should be pushed back to mid-august. are there any tourny's during mid august? IAO would be like 3 weeks in the past, more than enough time to recover from money damage. I also think that it should be held at PBX Battlezone. Also NO TUNA, NO TOBE, NO OFFICIAL AO DAY

Timmee
05-22-2004, 06:54 AM
I just looked at the directions, and it's gonna be 4 hours 25 minutes away. :eek: I think I'm gonna need a week or 2 to figure out if I can do it.

Suede
05-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Can we take a vote? How many would prefer to keep the date and how many would prefer to push it to August. If in August what day? We need some concrete info if are going to try to accomodate the greatest number of players.

graycie
05-22-2004, 03:59 PM
i'll just be overrided anyway...
i would bring a guest

1stdeadeye
05-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Me agrees with Graycie! :D

Tobe2be
05-22-2004, 05:49 PM
august 14th or the 21st. saturday is perfect for everyone cuz they can travel friday night play sleep and travel back home on sunday. again my hub cap stealing broken down car opinion

1stdeadeye
05-22-2004, 07:44 PM
august 14th or the 21st. saturday is perfect for everyone cuz they can travel friday night play sleep and travel back home on sunday. again my hub cap stealing broken down car opinion

You want my opinion? Don't drive that Mercury down again Bro! ;)

Tunaman
05-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Late August would be a great time. :D

Dayspring
05-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Well due to popular response, as well as Jon's pleading, and our undying love for The Tunaman, we are going to move the date for NJ AO 4 to August 7th 2004. (We also don't want to compete with Michigan AO.)

I am going to have the mods close this thread so as to not confuse anybody. (Like that's out of the realm of possibility. ;))

Potatoboy
05-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Thread closed by request of starter.